I'm interested in getting a network adapter (ethernet) for my new laptop. I thought I was buying a gig speed but it's only 10/100.

thefells

Feb 28, 2021
I have a Dell Inspiron17 3000
From Speccy: Network:
Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Connection-specific DNS Suffix hitronhub.home
Connection Name Ethernet
NetBIOS over TCPIP Yes
DHCP enabled Yes
MAC Address 30-D0-42-2A-07-20
IP Address 192.168.0.70
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway server 192.168.0.1
DHCP 192.168.0.1
DNS Server 192.168.0.1

Motherboard:
PCI Data
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage In Use
Data lanes x16
Slot Designation PCI-Express 0
Characteristics 3.3V, PME, Hot Plug, SMBus
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Data lanes x1
Slot Designation PCI-Express 1
Slot Number 1
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Data lanes x1
Slot Designation PCI-Express 2
Slot Number 2
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Data lanes x1
Slot Designation PCI-Express 3
Slot Number 3
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Data lanes x1
Slot Designation PCI-Express 4
Slot Number 4
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Data lanes x1
Slot Designation PCI-Express 5
Slot Number 5
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Data lanes x1
Slot Designation PCI-Express 6
Slot Number 6

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
It's pathetic that vendors still try to trick customers into buying computers with only fast ethernet (FE) networking, which is only 100Mbps.

OP just need to buy a USB 3.0 to Gigabit network adapters as @VirtualLarry suggested.

Reactions: thefells and SamirD

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It's pathetic that vendors still try to trick customers into buying computers with only fast ethernet (FE) networking, which is only 100Mbps.
OTOH, it's almost a God-send that mfg's even include ANY form of wired ethernet on modern laptops anymore in the first place.

But heck, if they're going to do it, for Gosh sake, do it RIGHT, and AT LEAST include gigabit wired.

(Unless there's a shortage of gigabit ethernet chips for the consoles?)

Reactions: SamirD and mxnerd

thefells

Feb 28, 2021

Thank you so much!! Are there any settings I will need to change? ~Sue~

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Thank you so much!! Are there any settings I will need to change? ~Sue~
Why not use the laptop's wifi?

On my Dell laptop which has a basic wifi adapter, I get 500+ Mbps upload and download at home.

thefells

Feb 28, 2021
OTOH, it's almost a God-send that mfg's even include ANY form of wired ethernet on modern laptops anymore in the first place.

But heck, if they're going to do it, for Gosh sake, do it RIGHT, and AT LEAST include gigabit wired.

(Unless there's a shortage of gigabit ethernet chips for the consoles?)
I totally agree. I was so disappoin
Why not use the laptop's wifi?

On my Dell laptop which has a basic wifi adapter, I get 500+ Mbps upload and download at home.
Well, my ISP is crappy. I live in the country and have limited options. I'm lucky to get 100MBps. My router is only good for 200Mbps so at least ethernet is double the speed for me. They do have a gig router but its terrible. Waiting for the company to find better options. Then I'll be all ready!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I totally agree. I was so disappoin

Well, my ISP is crappy. I live in the country and have limited options. I'm lucky to get 100MBps. My router is only good for 200Mbps so at least ethernet is double the speed for me. They do have a gig router but its terrible. Waiting for the company to find better options. Then I'll be all ready!
Many people here don't use ISP provided modem/routers for wifi, as their wifi is pretty basic.

I've always owned my own wireless router, and I only use the ISP provided box as a modem. I simply put the provided unit into pass-through mode and disable the wireless channels on it. Basically any modern $40+ wireless router could easily provide your full 200 Mbps internet speed in the same room as the connected device.

thefells

Feb 28, 2021
Many people here don't use ISP provided modem/routers for wifi, as their wifi is pretty basic.

I've always owned my own wireless router, and I only use the ISP provided box as a modem. I simply put the provided unit into pass-through mode and disable the wireless channels on it. Basically any modern $40+ wireless router could easily provide your full 200 Mbps internet speed in the same room as the connected device.
I tried. I called them to tell them I wanted to purchase my own but they wont allow it. Crazy, huh! I feel like I live in the old days when technology first started!!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I tried. I called them to tell them I wanted to purchase my own but they wont allow it. Crazy, huh! I feel like I live in the old days when technology first started!!
You cannot disable the router portion of your isp box?