I'm in FedEx hell!!!

Feb 10, 2000
I am having a hell of a time with FedEx.

My GF's house was broken into a couple of weeks ago, and, among other things, they stole her G4 iMac. She loves that particular design, not the current model, so I went to eBay to find a replacement (the prior one also came from eBay).

I found a suitable one for a fair price, and bought it. The seller had spotless feedback and seems like a great guy. I paid $1125 by Paypal. Fortunately I paid extra for insurance, and the package was to be shipped to her workplace.

He shipped from a Kinko's where he lives (Davis, CA), and correctly filled out all the information on the shipper's bill (he has subsequently faxed it to me). Kinko's prepared the label.

The package was picked up and went to a FedEx facility in Sacramento. There, according to their online tracking, an entry was made: "Barcode label unreadable and replaced."

Ultimately, it appears they switched labels, because the package bearing this tracking number was supposedly delivered to an unrelated residential address in Minneapolis. I've talked to the people who live there, and they claim it was never delivered to them. No package was ever delivered to my girlfriend's workplace.

At this point, the computer (and, effectively, my $1125) is in FedEx Limbo while they investigate. THANK GOD the shipper seems honest, and if he doesn't pan out, Paypal can reimburse me $1000 of the money. We shall see . . .

CLIFF'S NOTES: FedEx and Kinko's conspired to lose my girlfriend's computer, for which I paid $1125.

UPDATE 5/3/05: Well, FedEx apparently located the computer and delivered it today. I have no idea how or where it was lost, or whether it's in perfect condition; we shall see. Still, I'm really glad it was delivered, since it'll be easier to file a claim for damaging the computer than one for loss.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
dont worry, i have 2 160gb Seagate drives somewhere in Lafayette, and lost, someone is a happy camper. it was refused by recipient accidently, i put a retry through, retry got out to late, and it got lost

then someone forgot to sign a waiver, i havent gotten my money back, and now its finals week. this is gay.

MIKE

ShOcKwAvE827

Jul 28, 2001
Sorry to hear about that :(
However,I like fedex now. I just bought my laptop last Tuesday and it shipped out on Friday via Fedex ground from NC to TX. I received it Saturday at around 5:30. I didn't even know they delivered on Saturday. A+ service for me. Hope you get it all figured out.

drum

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
i hate to read stories like that. be it fedex or ups. i post in about every shipping thread and when i see a messed up label at work it makes it hard to figure out just where its going

CptObvious

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2004
FedEx gave me hell when they damaged a guitar I shipped a few months back. Their shipping service is usually good but if you ever have to deal with their claims dept., they will straight up lie to you to avoid paying out. I threatened to report them to the FTC and the state attorney general's office and then they finally admitted liability and paid a few weeks later.

Good luck, in any case. :thumbsup:

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: CptObvious
FedEx gave me hell when they damaged a guitar I shipped a few months back. Their shipping service is usually good but if you ever have to deal with their claims dept., they will straight up lie to you to avoid paying out. I threatened to report them to the FTC and the state attorney general's office and then they finally admitted liability and paid a few weeks later.

Good luck, in any case. :thumbsup:

On the plus side, I'm an attorney and my mother is a senior judge. I'm not afraid to grab them by their ankles and shake the money out of them if necessary.

Feb 10, 2000
Well, FedEx apparently located the computer and delivered it today. I have no idea how or where it was lost, or whether it's in perfect condition; we shall see. Still, I'm really glad it was delivered, since it'll be easier to file a claim for damaging the computer than one for loss.

gar3555

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
I too hate fedex, I ordered a case from Newegg, and fedex damaged it, I have got the runaround with them sooo bad trying to reoplace the damn thing, I have like 2 case numbers, and 5 phone calls describing the issue, but no replacement :(

NiKeFiDO

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
this this is bad, try getting fvcked by cingular for $200+ in new cell phone+charges

curse you big business!!!!!

i was just thinking, and came to the conclusion that 1250 > 200
sorry?

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
If I ship out anything of high value ($500.+) I always use Registered mail & Signature Confirmation combined. It may cost a little more but it's well worth it instead of the headaches of lost packages, etc :)

Registered Mail
Provides maximum protection and security for valuables. Provides sender with mailing receipt and a delivery record is maintained by the USPS. A record of mailing is maintained at the mailing post office.

Available for items paid at Priority Mail and First-Class Mail rates. May be combined with COD, Delivery Confirmation, restricted delivery, return receipt, or Signature Confirmation. Postal insurance is provided for articles with a declared value up to a maximum of $25,000. Only items with no declared value may use registry service without insurance. Handling charges apply for articles valued over $25,000.

I hope your GF gets her computer!

Indolent

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2003
Originally posted by: CorCentral
If I ship out anything of high value ($500.+) I always use Registered mail & Signature Confirmation combined. It may cost a little more but it's well worth it instead of the headaches of lost packages, etc :)

Registered Mail
Provides maximum protection and security for valuables. Provides sender with mailing receipt and a delivery record is maintained by the USPS. A record of mailing is maintained at the mailing post office.

Available for items paid at Priority Mail and First-Class Mail rates. May be combined with COD, Delivery Confirmation, restricted delivery, return receipt, or Signature Confirmation. Postal insurance is provided for articles with a declared value up to a maximum of $25,000. Only items with no declared value may use registry service without insurance. Handling charges apply for articles valued over $25,000.

I hope your GF gets her computer!

Doesn't it cost a lot more to ship heavier things with USPS too? It's not just the extra expense of the registered mail and signature confirmation.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
"Whoa! Cindy! It's one of those fancy Mac computers! I wonder why it came here?"
"Fred there's a guy on the phone wondering about something called a G4 Mac computer?"
"Uhh... I have no idea what he's talking about... *cough*"
"I'm sorry we haven't seen anything." *click*
"Wooooohoooo! Shiny computer!"

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: mobobuff
"Whoa! Cindy! It's one of those fancy Mac computers! I wonder why it came here?"
"Fred there's a guy on the phone wondering about something called a G4 Mac computer?"

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is what happened. Actually the person who it was apparently delivered to seems to be an eBay buyer/seller specializing in computers.

Cuular

Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Indolent

Doesn't it cost a lot more to ship heavier things with USPS too? It's not just the extra expense of the registered mail and signature confirmation.

Actually the USPS is very price competitive, and if you ship it express, they deliver any day of the week, including sunday, at no extra charge. So if something Just has to be delivered tomorrow, and tomorrow is saturday or sunday, the usps is a good choice.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: DonVito
Originally posted by: mobobuff

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is what happened. Actually the person who it was apparently delivered to seems to be an eBay buyer/seller specializing in computers.

Damn, that sucks :(