i'm gonna say it now... Obama will win..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
Each lobbyist on K Street represents 25K population on the average US ant hill. Whoever corporations and central banks command to win is our next President. *cough* Mitt Robama.

Last edited:

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
It's very realistic.
So is the movie Deep Impact and the most crazy thing about it was that there was a black President. I, however, am not expecting an asteroid to hit us in the near to not so near future.

Feb 10, 2000
It's very realistic.

It is one prediction. I think it's unrealistic, however. I expect to see the President re-elected without great difficulty, and that if Romney somehow ekes out a victory it will be by something closer to the 2004 margin (286-251). We shall see.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Tell me where in the bible Jesus said people should be able to cut off their own hands and then demand people feed them?

Because that is really what social justice is nowadays. The belief that "poor" people should be able to do whatever they want and demand others support them.

Wow, that is so far off base that I don't know where to begin. How do you translate Jesus telling people to sell all they have, give to the poor, and to follow him to your statement, which amounts to "fuck the poor". Your understanding of poverty in the US is as shallow as your understanding of Christianity.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
And Jesus is the very thing that Hebrew prophets warned their followers about.

Christians making fun of Mormons (or vice versa) reminds me of kids arguing that Superman is totally believable but Wonder Woman is not (or vice versa).

Oh please. Superman's body was conditioned by his home planet of Krypton, so when he got here his body was able to do things normal humans can't. Normal earthlings would all be relative supermen on the moon too, jumping huge distances and lifting massive objects. That's just science. But a lasso that makes people tell the truth? That's ridiculous.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Social justice is a lie, too. People just take it and twist it into a weapon to enforce their belief system on everyone else. Just look at all the stupid laws we make year after year.
How so? I will admit that Christianity is often twisted in that way, but social justice is not the part that bends in that direction.
I'm actually not anti-religion, I just don't think a book edited by a bunch of bigoted totalitarian kings is the official word of God.

Mormonism is, in and of itself, the very thing that Jesus warned his followers about. They are the pharisees and false prophets he so often warned us about, and to not take that seriously shows a huge lacking in the Christians of this country who should be protecting us from this type of person but, instead, embrace him as one of their own.

Fair enough on your first paragraph. This is why I am extremely weary of those that wear Christianity on their sleeves when running for office. The "Moral Majority" and other such right wing groups are modern day scribes and pharisees. The evangelical movement is quite scary in the way that they want to influence the political process.

I don't know if Mormonism fits in that category though. Most I've met are quite kind and generous people. Based on my own small sample size, I'd take a mormon in politics over an evangelical anyday.

Blintok

Jan 30, 2007
why is it only bad when a republican is a mormon but nothing is said about a democrat?

"Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid. Reid, Democratic senator from Nevada, is an LDS convert. He became part of the church when he was in college. He is the highest serving Mormon in U.S. government history."

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
why is it only bad when a republican is a mormon but nothing is said about a democrat?

"Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid. Reid, Democratic senator from Nevada, is an LDS convert. He became part of the church when he was in college. He is the highest serving Mormon in U.S. government history."

Perhaps because most don't know. I didn't even know until recently. It did not change my opinion of him. I suspect that even if most Democrats knew, that they really wouldn't care.

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004
Oh gee, I wonder why. Jesus is going to come back to Earth in Missouri, really? Do you know how fucking stupid that sounds? Wow, some dude wrote a new religious fantasy novel when he came to America and we're supposed to believe this bullshit is the new real religion? Get fucking real.

not much different than Obama and the fairy tales he believes.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yay, we'll finally get to see what a second Carter term would have looked like.

I sincerely hope so. I dont want people crying racism. I want the guy to have two crappy terms so no one can whine about anything. So they can see he was just another human being and not Jesus Part 2.

Of course, as blind as people have been to his actions up to this point, I suspect they will also look back on him with excess nostalgia and will never admit anything.

(FYI: I dont think the current Republican rabble is any better.)

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
I really wonder if this is what those who control the Rep party want. That is, for Obama to be the one taking heat for the nations problems, only for a good Rep candidate to emerge for 2016. Robama is the best the Reps can do for 2012???

Blintok

Jan 30, 2007
Perhaps because most don't know. I didn't even know until recently. It did not change my opinion of him. I suspect that even if most Democrats knew, that they really wouldn't care.

but that is my point. no one cares if it is a democrat but its all doom and gloom make fun of Romney and his religious beliefs because he is a mormon.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
If Obama wins reelection he will be able to implement his agenda full-stop.

I suspect the economy will marginally improve enough by 2016 that both Democrats and Republicans have a fair shot at the presidency. I am interested to see who rises up from the Democratic ranks for that election. Will it finally be Hillary's turn? Will she run with Warren? Or will she form a damn near unbeatable ticket by pairing with San Antonio's mayor Julian Castro?

With the rising Latino population, that combination is going to be impossible to beat. Locking up the women and Hispanic vote single-handedly is a death sentence to the GOP.

Feb 10, 2000
but that is my point. no one cares if it is a democrat but its all doom and gloom make fun of Romney and his religious beliefs because he is a mormon.

I haven't seen anyone make fun of Romney's religious beliefs, other than people affiliated with Gingrich's and Perry's campaigns (and no fair blaming the Democrats for that!).

Feb 10, 2000

No, he almost certainly won't. The Republicans will continue to have near-parity in the Senate and control of the House, and they will continue to lock things up. I think if Obama had a stronger Senate Majority Leader he might be better situated to really push things through, but I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000

Not even a small chance that this is true. He'll still be dealing with Boehner in the House, who will still be dealing with the Tea Party caucus that he can't control.