I'm going to attempt my biggest car repair yet tomorrow.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
This may not seem hard for a lot of you, but I have to change the oil pan on my Civic. This will entail removing a section of exhaust pipe (rusted on bolts and nuts), removing a transmission brace, removing old pan, cleaning everything up, putting on new pan, putting exhaust back together..and I have to do it on my back with about 1 1/2 ft of clearence.

Just wanted to share.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
IMHO, you will not be able to get that exhaust pipe off easily, unless you have a torch to cut it off and a welder to put it back on.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
You'll have FUN!

Make sure not to have TOO MUCH fun though, getting a stiffy in that tight a space might make it hard to move around much. ;)

Oct 9, 1999
go get some rhino stands.. drive up the car, you get a bit more clearance than teh stock clearance..

anycase..best of luck :)

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
IMHO, you will not be able to get that exhaust pipe off easily, unless you have a torch to cut it off and a welder to put it back on.

I have been presoaking the bolts with PB Blaster for a few days now. I know I can get the bolts holding the pipe to the header off pretty easily, and I am hoping I can let it just hang there giving me clearence to drop the pan. If I have to take the spring bolts/nuts that are holding the A pipe to the B pipe off....it might get a little tricky. Worst comes to worst, I will take it to an exhaust shop and have them cut those suckers off.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: The_good_guy
go get some rhino stands.. drive up the car, you get a bit more clearance than teh stock clearance..

anycase..best of luck :)

Actually I do have Rhino stands. Civic sits rather low to the ground. My SUV is much easier to work on, and the Integra with the coil overs is almost impossible unless I use the big SUV jack and jack stands.

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Brutuskend
You'll have FUN!

Make sure not to have TOO MUCH fun though, getting a stiffy in that tight a space might make it hard to move around much. ;)

He has a foot and a half long schlong?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
You don't have a lift and jacks? I've heard that on some vehicles doing the oil pan can be pretty hard. Goodluck!

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Amorphus
Originally posted by: Brutuskend
You'll have FUN!

He has a foot and a half long schlong?

Oh, I guess I'm just thinking of my OWN personal experience.

N/M....

;)

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Go to the auto store (or dealer) and get NEW bolts and gaskets for that section of pipe. I guarantee you won't be able to reuse the old ones. A propane/oxygen blowtorch will be helpful as well.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Thegonagle
Go to the auto store (or dealer) and get NEW bolts and gaskets for that section of pipe. I guarantee you won't be able to reuse the old ones. A propane/oxygen blowtorch will be helpful as well.

I already did that. Haven't gotten the propane torch though.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"I have to change the oil pan on my Civic."

Why? Is there a gouge in it? Can't you just patch it with epoxy or something? I'm serious!

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Ornery
"I have to change the oil pan on my Civic."

Why? Is there a gouge in it? Can't you just patch it with epoxy or something? I'm serious!

Well actually the gasket is leaking. I have to drop the pan anyway to do the gasket, and it has a big dent in it/is corroded so I am changing them both at the same time. Total cost in parts was around $70.

Gravity

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
You can do it. It's not that hard. Make sure you have the proper goop to seal the gasket with.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
When you do pick up a propane torch, look for the Benz-O-Matic cylider that has MAPP gas in it instead of regular propane. The MAPP gas will burn @ 3,650 degrees (F) - and regular propane will burn @ 3,450 degrees (F). The MAPP gas will get the job done quicker.

MAPP gas is also great for sweating copper plumbing pipes and it will seal the joint in half the time that it takes regular propane. MAPP gas lasts longer, but costs about $5.00 more per cylinder. :)

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Tiles2Tech
When you do pick up a propane torch, look for the Benz-O-Matic cylider that has MAPP gas in it instead of regular propane. The MAPP gas will burn @ 3,650 degrees (F) - and regular propane will burn @ 3,450 degrees (F). The MAPP gas will get the job done quicker.

MAPP gas is also great for sweating copper plumbing pipes and it will seal the joint in half the time that it takes regular propane. MAPP gas lasts longer, but costs about $5.00 more per cylinder. :)

I am hoping it doesn't come to the torch.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Wear some eye protection, I always manage to get flakes of rust in my eyes when working on exhaust systems.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Wear some eye protection, I always manage to get flakes of rust in my eyes when working on exhaust systems.

I would start with removing what obviously needs to go, then unbolt the pan and see if you can slip it out, dont forget the engine can be raised if need be, you should get a little more clearance doing that.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
I think if you unbolt the header from the block you should be able to let it drop down and hang and have enough room. I'm just thinking of how it looks on my Accord, but now that I think of it my oil pan is off to the side and in front of the exhaust header. Sounds like it'll be another interesting, tightly cramped, japanese car repairs. I replaced the radiator on my Accord when I first got it 3 years ago. Man was that a pain in the arse! Took me two nights of working on it to get it in.
Good luck to you!

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Last time I removed a oil pan, pieces of my old car's crank shaft and counter weight fell out ;)

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
Sigh.. I just paid $178 + tax to get my warped front roters fixed.

That's a LOT for that. THen again, if you can afford it more power to you.

Actually, now that I think about it, parts are from $45-$100 depending on your car and inlcuding labor...not bad I guess.