I'm considering joining the Air Force...

AdamDuritz99

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2000
What I really want to do is to fly fighter planes. I guess that's the typical boy's dream, but i do and i'm really considering joining. What steps should i take? Any advice? If any of you have been in the Air Force or know a lot about it, please post any comments you have about the Air Force. I would like to know a lot about it before i contact an official advisor. Feel free to PM if you would like to talk to me about it.

peace
sean

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
The vast majority of pilots that fly fighter jets go to the air force academy. To attend the academy you need a recommendation from your congressman, a 4.0 gpa and very high SAT or ACT scores. You also should start the application process around the age of 16 so that you are guaranteed a spot by 18.

Pastfinder

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2000
In order to be a pilot you need to be an officer. There are three routes to do this: 1. Go to the US Air Force Academy, 2. AFROTC, 3. OTS (Officer Training School).
I am currently in Air Force ROTC and it is a blast. I am trying for a pilot slot. With a pilot slot you will be commissioned at the same time you graduate from college. From there you have 2 years of training before/if you get your wings. From there you get your ride.
If you want information about AFROTC, click here.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Do you wear glasses or contacts?
What is your vision?

Hoping your answers are NO and 20/20.

rawoutput

Banned
Jan 23, 2002
I'm also in the AFROTC program at UVA. I'm having a blast and its definitely something to consider, if you want to be a pilot. You get your Bachelors and your commissioning as a Second Lieutenant at the same time, so its a pretty efficient way to get your wings. PM me if you have any questions on the ROTC program.

Poncherelli

May 28, 2001
Go to the Naval Academy, they have better flying programs and you'll have a better chance of flying when you graduate. Also, air force academy is not that hard to get into, you need like a 3.0 and 1300 and you'll probably get in.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Go army, then you could fly an A-10. At least you would see more action that way.

soccerbud34

Nov 15, 2001
One of my friends is currently a freshman @ the Air Force Academy. He told me he is having a blast :)

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
All five services have pilot slots. I do not know what the pilot training program is for the Coast Guard - they may farm you out to one of the other branches.

Marine slots come from Navy training.

You can actually get an ROTC commission from any branch and start active duty in a different branch.

I went through AFROTC (academics only) and my rommmate took a Marine Avation slot when he graduated.

You have to have the physical requirements. As others have stated ROTC/OCS(OTC) makes it easier to get into the officer corp.

Pilots do come out of these groups but the percentage is lower than the Academy.

With OCS/OTC - you have to have a degree first.

The army has very little fixed wing slots.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Go army, then you could fly an A-10. At least you would see more action that way.

The army doesnt fly A-10's only the air force.

are you in college now? listen to what the ROTC people are saying it is correct and would be a good resource to turn to for questions.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
The academy is probably your best bet if you want to fly...In the army, all the West Point guys get first pick, then ROTC, then OCS.

Of course, all the aviation slots get taken first :(

And here's the helicopters in the army: AH-64 Apache, UH-60 Blackhawk, CH47-D Chinook, UH-1 Huey, OH-58D Kiowa Warrior, RAH-66 Comanche

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000

<< Go army, then you could fly an A-10. At least you would see more action that way. >>

When I was in the Army I was a Forward Observer. We would illuminate a target with a laser and the A-10's would come in and tear it up. That was a fun part of the job. The Air Force had it made. When we were in the field we slept in tents, they stayed in hotels.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What steps should i take? Any advice?

Of the three commissioning sources, you are most likely to get a pilot slot from the Academy and ROTC. I simply have not heard of many people going from OTS to Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT). While the Academy has historically been the best route for wings, USAF is VERY low on pilots right now. Essentially, if you want a pilot's slot, you can get one these days. However, that pendulum swings back and forth, and I daresay that by the time you earn a commission (unless you already have a degree or are perhaps in your junior year in college?) the shortage will be a surplus. The Air Force doesn't plan very well for the long term.

Some advice? Get in damn good shape and stay that way. A maxed out PFT score looks very good when applying for UPT, not to mention that being in shape helps a great deal when dealing with high G forces. Focus on grades and earn high ones -- engineering or science is a boost as well. Maintain high personal integrity and avoid even the slightest inference of impropriety.

Don't be so exclusive about jobs, however. Keep an open mind about other positions available. The Air Force recently opened up Combat Controllers to officers as well as Pararescue, which are some awesome jobs (two CCTs were killed in Afghanistan this week, while two PJs were on the chopper that went down in the Philippines so those guys are right on the front lines). Flying transports can be great also because you literally go all over the world, whereas fighter pilots tend to be focused on their home base during peacetime. Intelligence is an interesting career choice.

PM me with any specific questions.

The Army is expressly forbidden from flying fixed wing aircraft in combat and only has VERY limited fixed wing aircraft overall. The A-10 is an Air Force asset, currently stationed in Korea, North Carolina, Germany, and possibly a couple other locations. Great aircraft.

When I was in the Army I was a Forward Observer.

I think some of those positions are now with the Air Force actually. There are AF enlisted positions called TAC-Ps which are attached to Army units. Those guys do the terminal guidance for close air support aircraft, but I imagine that there are still Army positions -- not sure the extent of the TAC-P program. Enlisted only, however.

swayinOtis

Banned
Sep 19, 2000

<< Go to the Naval Academy, they have better flying programs and you'll have a better chance of flying when you graduate. Also, air force academy is not that hard to get into, you need like a 3.0 and 1300 and you'll probably get in. >>

Better flying programs? What kind of a statement is that? What do you base this on, Top Gun? LOL

Adam, when I was in the Air Force (there wasn't a pilot shortage like there is now) fighter pilots were the cream of the crop. The were something like the top-10 percent academically in Undergraduate Pilot Training. It's also very demanding physically. Like someone else said, your eyes have to be very good, too. Everyone wants to be a fighter pilot, but only the top-10 percent make it.

You could learn to fly cargo and transports, then after a good career, you can get out and make huge money flying commercial airliners.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000

<<
I think some of those positions are now with the Air Force actually. There are AF enlisted positions called TAC-Ps which are attached to Army units. Those guys do the terminal guidance for close air support aircraft, but I imagine that there are still Army positions -- not sure the extent of the TAC-P program. Enlisted only, however.
>>

They were called FAC (Forward Air Controller). Basically all they did was relay radio communications as our radios were not compatable. We were also trained to call NGF (Naval Gun Fire) but never had a chance to put it to actual use. We also used Pave Penny (if I remember correctly) for Foward Air Support.

swayinOtis

Banned
Sep 19, 2000

<< Go army, then you could fly an A-10. At least you would see more action that way.

>>

He probably meant the OV-10 Bronco, the only Army fixed wing aircraft that I know of.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Go Navy or USMC. Then you won't just be a pilot, you'll be an aviator.

Incidentally, a guy (ex-Air Force) I used to work with brought one of the shells from the 30mm Avenger cannon on the A-10 for show-and-tell. Holy crap. The thing was about the size of a banana. Impressive.

ddjkdg

Dec 22, 2001
Go to the Air Force website. They have boards where you can post questions. If you ask then someone from the AF will answer whatever you've got and can give advice.

Pastfinder

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2000
Personally I am going to try for a pilot slot, but if manage to see things through and get my pilot wings (already got airborne :) ) then I want to try and fly the B-52!!! Good old BUFF

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000

<<

<< Go army, then you could fly an A-10. At least you would see more action that way.

>>

He probably meant the OV-10 Bronco, the only Army fixed wing aircraft that I know of.
>>

The Army also has small fixed wing craft (Cessna sized) for transporting officals. I don't remember if it was "O's" or "W's" that flew them though.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000

<< Personally I am going to try for a pilot slot, but if manage to see things through and get my pilot wings (already got airborne :) ) then I want to try and fly the B-52!!! Good old BUFF >>

Are you a "5 jump chump"? ;)