I'm being slow roasted.(UPDATE FIXED)

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
MOTHER FSVCKING PIECE OF SH!T AIR CONDITIONER BROKE. THE APARTMENT COMPLEX JUST PUT IN A NEW ONE LAST SUMMER. IT IS JULY AND I LIVE IN FLORIDA. IT IS 83 DEGREES AT TEN IN THE MORNING AND I AM SWEATING ALREADY SITTING TWO FEET IN FRONT OF THE FAN. MY BRAINS ARE STARTING TO GET CRISPY AROUND THE EDGES. THANK GOD I WORK AT THE HOTTEST PART OF THE DAY SO IT SHOULD BE DOWN TO UNDER 95 DEGREES WHEN I GET HOME TONIGHT IF THE FSVCKING APARTMENT'S MAINTANENCE PEOPLE DO NOT FIX THIS THING.

Damaged

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I think that's what he'd like to do, and is complaining about. :)

I feel your pain! In 1995 we had one of our hottest summers on record here in WI. I'll never forget...since I didn't have A/C at the time! Three nights in a row the low, yes the low, was above 90 degrees. The humidity, as usual here, was stifling. That sucked!

I ended up renting a hotel room for a couple of days until the heat wave broke. Next year I purchased A/C.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
What makes this so bad is that they put in a whole new unit outside last year.I am also wondering how long it will take them to fix it since I am moving at the end of the month.

Did the heat make your caps key stick? :Q ;)
Call them up and immediately demand that the A/C be fixed.That's part of what you pay rent for.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
In fact, if they do not fix the a/c within a 'reasonable' amount of time, you may consider your apartment 'unlivable' and forgo paying rent for those days. Check your state's renter laws.

You may also consider renting an portable a/c unit.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
I can't forgo paying rent since we payed first and last when we moved in and this is last.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Depending on your state's laws, if they do not remedy the situation so your apartment is livable, you may ask them for damages (in small claims court). But you have to be sure or you waste the court's time and your money.

Ask them how long? If it's not reasonable, consider renting the portable a/c and adding that to their bill.

If you are suffering, consider renting the portable a/c, anyway.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Unless specified in the lease, broken a/c is not covered as an item that is eligible for withholding rent.

Russ, NCNE

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
No AC doesn't make an apartment unliveable. No running water will and maybe no electricity (depends on how you cook). Being hot doesn't cut it.

Vikaden

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2000
rahvin, i live in florida also and one can easily get very ill from the heat without any a/c, so that would make it unlivible in my opinion

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
They are here now looking at it.

You can't with hold rent for any reason.You have to put it in an escroll account and if that does not bring results you have to take it to court.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Pigeons made a nest on the outside unit on the roof.This is what killed the old unit.Damn things aren't nothing more than flying rats in my opinion.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
glad it's working... imagine life a hundred years ago, when people dressed in more covered attire and AC's did not exist.

makes me so glad to live in this time and age... :D

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
It wouldn't have been so bad except that you can't get any circulation in this apartment.Once a/c became standard they took out any consideration for air flow without it.