I'm Back

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Welcome back Deerslayer :) ,I do vaguely recall your name ;)

Originally posted by: ProviaFan
I remember you as lynx01 and briefly as deerslayer; I also vaguely recall when you had to quit crunching at college, though somewhere around then I started becoming less active as well. My name used to be jliechty, but you probably don't remember me because I did almost no SETI, and no SoB or LM at all. It's great to have you back, as well! :thumbsup:

While reminiscing, I also remember when DanC got PO and left DPAD. I think I left shortly thereafter, because - as I recall - somewhere around 80% of the results that I'd turned in suddenly disappeared, and since noone seemed to know why, or could offer any hope that it wouldn't happen again, I quit.

Yea DanC didn't get run off ,he left after an arguement with someone ,I never understood why he got mad though as their was nothing particularly offensive in the arguement IIRC:confused: ,still its a shame he left :(.

Btw when did you lose your DPAD points?
A few months ago or so their was a database server outage which meant that points were getting 'trapped' ,when it was fixed a while latter all the missing points turned up AFAIK.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Assimilator1
Yea DanC didn't get run off ,he left after an arguement with someone ,I never understood why he got mad though as their was nothing particularly offensive in the arguement IIRC:confused: ,still its a shame he left :(.

A few months ago or so their was a database server outage which meant that points were getting 'trapped' ,when it was fixed a while latter all the missing points turned up AFAIK.
Oh, gosh, this was several years ago - probably on the order of approximately four, that is. I'd be surprised if I'm still even in the stats at all. :eek:

By the way, is DPAD still a good option for dialup? If it is, then I might actually be able to get back into it with a remote system that has been idle because its 33.6kbps link can't handle high-bandwidth projects like Folding@Home. If it's still a send-only project where work units don't have to be downloaded, that would be even better. Anyway, sorry for going OT... y'all can get back to the normally scheduled neffi... er, discussion now. :)

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
I'm flabbergasted as to why everyone seems to think this is a nef thread :p I would never nef!

Soggysocks

Golden Member
Jun 20, 2001
Funny how Suddenly reappearing old friends seem to start a nef opps I mean discussion. It also tends to draw people out of hiding. :eek: Hi guys ... long time no post.

KifArU, don't worry about the english. Ours is probubly worst than yours. ;)

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
By the way, is DPAD still a good option for dialup?
Yes, it is a good dial-up choise. If you want it to download new info it's a very small download. Or you can configure it to not download anything at all, & just upload at your convenience.
Check the DPAD stats thread for more info.

I'd kill to be able to connect at 33.6kbps consistently :(

Nice to see some new old faces... Starrider, KifArU & Soggysocks :)

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Originally posted by: deerslayer
Are you stuck on dial up Spacehead?

Yes. My only other option at the moment is satallite, which isn't much of an option from what i've been reading.
My electric provider is looking into DPL(broadband over powerline) so that might be an option later this year. I haven't heard any updates on this in awhile thought.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Spacehead
Are you stuck on dial up Spacehead?

Yes. My only other option at the moment is satallite, which isn't much of an option from what i've been reading.
My electric provider is looking into DPL(broadband over powerline) so that might be an option later this year. I haven't heard any updates on this in awhile thought.

No wireless ISP's within range?

I'm getting rid of my 3mb/1mb cable connection (Charter sold to Allegiance and it went from $50 to $150 month) to wireless that is $40 month.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
No wireless ISP's within range?
Don't those need to be fairly close? Or at least some sort of relay fairly close? I've never looked into it but i can't imagine anything like that being within about 30 miles, at best.

KifArU

Oct 9, 1999
I vaguely remember your name. But at 321 posts in 8 years, I can see why.

The last time I was active here, was while David McOwen was being accused and we had large battles with DPC.

Edit: And just after sending, I noticed David's post just above mine. How are you David?

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: Assimilator1

Oh, gosh, this was several years ago - probably on the order of approximately four, that is. I'd be surprised if I'm still even in the stats at all. :eek:

By the way, is DPAD still a good option for dialup? If it is, then I might actually be able to get back into it with a remote system that has been idle because its 33.6kbps link can't handle high-bandwidth projects like Folding@Home. If it's still a send-only project where work units don't have to be downloaded, that would be even better. Anyway, sorry for going OT... y'all can get back to the normally scheduled neffi... er, discussion now. :)

Yea its still send only for the WUs ,but their are optimisations that are downloaded every few days or so ,you can alter how often.
Would be great to have ya back :)
Btw I'm sure your name will still be in the stats ,in the inactive list on the DPAD site but will still be shown on the FreeDC stats.

Doh! ,just seen SHs post ;)

caferace

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
What is dial-up? ;)

-jim

(Who is lucky enough to have broadband since 1984. Seriously. The only suffering I had was at the girlfriends house. So I married her, and then she had broadband too. :))

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
I first had a 1.5M/384K DSL connection at home in the fall of 2004; before that it was 56K dialup. These days during the school year I'm on a 100Mbit LAN which is connected to the internet through some insanely fast backbone connection ... now the DSL at home seems to run as slowly as cold molasses. :(