I'm Back

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
I've decided to jump back in to Distributed Computing again. I probably haven't posted on the forums for a couple years.

I just fired up Rosetta@Home on Monday. Got a few rigs crunching away at it.

My name used to be LyNx01 here at AT.

I crunched for SETI back in the day (before boinc) and I crunched SoB and Lifemapper for a while too.

Good to be back. I've seen several familiar faces while lurking these past couple of days, and a lot of new ones.

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Apparently. I tried a reply today for the heck of it and it worked. But ssssshhhh, maybe they don't know.

JonB

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
www.granburychristmaslights.com
I remember the LyNx01 name but not any details of where or why you dropped off the radar.
I don't think we are quite as competitive with other teams now as we were two or three years ago.
We used be to pretty hard core. Ran off DanC and a few others when tempers flared.

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: JonB
I remember the LyNx01 name but not any details of where or why you dropped off the radar.
I don't think we are quite as competitive with other teams now as we were two or three years ago.
We used be to pretty hard core. Ran off DanC and a few others when tempers flared.

Oh wow, I didn't know anyone got run off, haha. I just stopped crunching because I went to college and the crunchers turned my dorm into a sauna. Funds got pretty short too.

Good to see you (Wiz, JonB, Wolfsraider) again, I remember seeing all of you guys around before.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
I remember you as lynx01 and briefly as deerslayer; I also vaguely recall when you had to quit crunching at college, though somewhere around then I started becoming less active as well. My name used to be jliechty, but you probably don't remember me because I did almost no SETI, and no SoB or LM at all. It's great to have you back, as well! :thumbsup:

While reminiscing, I also remember when DanC got PO and left DPAD. I think I left shortly thereafter, because - as I recall - somewhere around 80% of the results that I'd turned in suddenly disappeared, and since noone seemed to know why, or could offer any hope that it wouldn't happen again, I quit.

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Actually, I do remember seeing a jliechty around. I can't remember all the projects I crunched, but I tried several of them. SETI, SoB, and LM were just the ones I remember being very active in.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
The name deerslayer sounds familiar, but I think I got started after you left... Nice to meet you. :)

Starrider

Sep 29, 2002
Great to see you back here again, it's been awhile :) Hehe, never could forget one of the first TA members that welcomed me to the seti team way back when. Real life got in my way for a few months, but I just fired up a few crunchers for TA on Rosetta myself.

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Sweet. I got my buddy to put his dual core 64 on R@H for me, but he stopped it already because it was getting hot. He says he's going to put a new HSF on it and start it back up. I've been storing his rack (empty of course) for the past 5 years, so he owes me.

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
Hello Brett! Good to see you back on the DC Forums.

According to my records, deerslayer / also known as LyNx01 joined TeAm AnandTech - Seti (Classic) on 9/4/2002. :)

His personal helper from the Mentor TeAm was Crazee. :D

Welcome home. :beer:

KifArU

Oct 9, 1999
What a great thread, just when I "come back home"
Another oldtimer returning to the Anandtech family. I just started Boinc / Malariacontrol.

And yes, i also remember both names from some time ago.

(for the people who don't remember me: I'm Dutch, so my English might be off sometimes)