I'm against gay marriage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
The condemnation of gays, like the condemnation of all 'others' throughout time is the result of self hate and the need that hate finds for a place to release itself on something other than oneself. It is bigotry and it is evil but those who feel it can't let go if their bigotry easily because, to do so, they would have to forgive themselves. To forgive one has to have compassion and that is what self hate kills. The result is that a bigot is a bigot is a bigot in an endless circling loop, totally convinced that his hate is good. The damage and misery caused by the religious bigot he deflects from himself and calls the wrath of God and fate. It's God who hates homosexuals.

Hey, it is the one sin they do not have to worry about comitting. So, it must be the most horrible sin one could commit.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Lothar
Originally posted by: TheSlamma
Marriage is a piece of paper and a tax break. Esptrogen just makes it out to be a whole lot more.

Don't married couples pay more taxes than singles?

Depends on how much money you make. My wife and I got about 2.3x the tax return back last year (first year we were married)- but we don't exactly make alot

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: K1052
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: sandorski
Having sex with the same gender doesn't necessarily mean you're Gay.

It doesn't? :confused:

Well I guess you could be bi....or in prison

In regards to prison, or rather rape, yes. But I consider bisexuality homosexuality, just with a twist. ;)

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

In regards to prison, or rather rape, yes. But I consider bisexuality homosexuality, just with a twist. ;)

I'd give bisexuality its own classification.

It's like the 1% milk at the store. It is always right inbetween the Skim and 2% in a small section and you rarely see anyone buy it but does happen. :D

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002
Keep it as is, bringing up incidents of homosexuals being unfaithful to their partners is just one of the reasons that many heterosexuals feel that their promiscuousness nature is a cancer to what marriage is about.

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Craig234
I'm tired of seeing weak gay people who refuse to be honest about who they are protecting themselves by harming an innocent person of the opposite sex and marrying them.

How must Ted Haggery's wife feel about now, thinking she married a religious man and finding out that she was his 'cover' so he could have the fame and wealth?

Marriage is a serious thing, not to be trifled with, not to be used for deceipt and enrichment.

Michael Huffington did it to Arianna.

I've seen it happen to other women as well. It's just wrong.

And, we should fight against the bigotry which pressures people to have to pay such a big price for happening to be gay.

Let gays marry each other, and everyone benefits.

Off hand, as long as the money is coming in i bet his wife could careless. They probably can't stand each other anyways. Some women marry for security not love. And i don't know but i would guess the Haggerdys aren't hurting for money.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001

I'd give bisexuality its own classification.

It's like the 1% milk at the store. It is always right inbetween the Skim and 2% in a small section and you rarely see anyone buy it but does happen. :D

Yeah, but eventually those 1% people pick a side.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

No it doesn't. Some people are just curious or sexually adventurous.

Or in denial. For me it would be curious about, lets say, what it would be like to hit myself in the head with a hammer. You can't be curious about something that has absolutely no attraction and wold negate every ounce of your own common sense.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
The condemnation of gays, like the condemnation of all 'others' throughout time is the result of self hate and the need that hate finds for a place to release itself on something other than oneself. It is bigotry and it is evil but those who feel it can't let go if their bigotry easily because, to do so, they would have to forgive themselves. To forgive one has to have compassion and that is what self hate kills. The result is that a bigot is a bigot is a bigot in an endless circling loop, totally convinced that his hate is good. The damage and misery caused by the religious bigot he deflects from himself and calls the wrath of God and fate. It's God who hates homosexuals.

:roll:

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001

No it doesn't. Some people are just curious or sexually adventurous.

How many times can you be 'curious' before it becomes a pattern? I consider myself VERY curious and sexually adventurous (before I got married - :D) . . . I've NEVER been THAT curious! Although I did see some ridiculously hot women in Thailand . . . and then the girl I was hanging out with told me, "those aren't women . . ."

Affirmative
Nein!

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm tired of seeing weak gay people who... blah, blah, blah
I agree that one partner lying to the other about his or her sexual preference is deceitful, but it's a civil matter between the parties.

You don't know jack about the true relationship between any two consenting adults, even a man and woman who agree to marry knowing that one or both of them happen to be gay or bi. If you don't like it, you could always consider keeping your bigoted nose out of other people's bedrooms.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
BalibabyDoc:
===========================
How many times can you be 'curious' before it becomes a pattern? I consider myself VERY curious and sexually adventurous (before I got married - ) . . . I've NEVER been THAT curious! Although I did see some ridiculously hot women in Thailand . . . and then the girl I was hanging out with told me, "those aren't women . . ."

=================================

Good point. At some point one has to consider the possibility. OTOH, a single or few acts does not mean full blown Homosexuality. I think we are too quick to label people when it comes to sexuality, unlike other things. For example(s):

1) If you played 1 Baseball game as a kid, are you a "Baseball Player"? Even if you didn't play another game and didn't like Baseball?

2) If you went to one Dance in HS, are you a "Clubber" and "Dancer"?

3) If you voted D once decades ago and voted straight R since, are you a Democratic Libral Al Queda surrendering Anti-American? :p :D

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Harvey
I'm tired of seeing weak gay people who... blah, blah, blah
I agree that one partner lying to the other about his or her sexual preference is deceitful, but it's a civil matter between the parties.

You don't know jack about the true relationship between any two consenting adults, even a man and woman who agree to marry knowing that one or both of them happen to be gay or bi. If you don't like it, you could always consider keeping your bigoted nose out of other people's bedrooms.

Well, that's funny, Harvey - who exactly am I 'bigoted' against?

I certainly do know about many of the 'true relationships' between two consenting adults, whether from studies, or from personal statements such as from Airanna Huffington, or from personal contacts who went through this, enough to back up what I said, that there are people who who deal wih the stigma of being gay by using someone of the opposite gender to let them escape the stigma; a plan which often results in extremely destructive emotions for the used partner.

I think you missed a bit of the 'twist' in how I phrased my post - my post is fully critical of the fact that those social stigmas exist, and calls for gay marriage rights.

It's certainly not bigoted against gays, since I'm not saying that they all do this, and since I'm calling for full equality for them.

It is a criticism both of those who wrong others in response to the inappropriate stigma, and to the stigma itself.

I no more need to 'keep my nose out of their bedrooms' to protest this harmful behavior than I do, say, to oppose rape. Take a deep breath and re-read the post.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
Yeah, obviously there is something wrong with these folks. Even if they're not "sure" if they are gay, they have no business getting married. BTW, it happens just as often with women turning gay on their men.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
It's certainly not bigoted against gays, since I'm not saying that they all do this, and since I'm calling for full equality for them.
I no more need to 'keep my nose out of their bedrooms' to protest this harmful behavior than I do, say, to oppose rape. Take a deep breath and re-read the post.
Your later statements are nice. The title and subtitle of your thread, I'm against gay marriage... To the opposite gender reek of implied bigotry.

I agree that it's wrong for anyone to enter into a marriage without fully disclosing such personal information as sexual preferences. I think there are more things that should also be disclosed to one's prospective spouse, and anything less is deceitful.

So what? He'd be just as deceitful if he had other current wives or lovers of either gender on the side or if he was engaged in any other illegal or ethically questionable activity.

I think it's wrong to post a specific blast at those whose specific dark secret is homosexuality, and your own post makes that point by starting with a current headline example of Ted Haggard and your only other example is Arianna and Michael Huffington.

I like listening to Arianna Huffington, but her personal life and problems are not my business unless she chooses to make it so.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Harvey
Your later statements are nice. The title and subtitle of your thread, I'm against gay marriage... To the opposite gender reek of implied bigotry.

Harvey, you still seem to be missing the 'twist' in my post.

After hundreds of posts I've made calling for gays to get equal marital rights, this was meant to be a bit of a shocker with the opening message.

The issues in gays deceitfully marrying a heterosexual because of the stigma much of society places on being gay doesn't really exist as an issue for heterosexuals.

My post had two messages: one was a 'to be fair' that *some of* the gays, who are the victims of a terrible bigotry, handle it poorly by creating yet another victim, to acknowledge that that wrong happens sometimes, and is rarely noted, so that my posts are not entirely one-sided; the other was to point out again the harm of the bigotry which creates this pressure, and that the gay stigma not only hurts innocent gay people, but also hurts the heterosexuals who end up in 'sham' marriages because of it.

If we'd get rid of the bigotry, then the problem would be solved; gays would not be pressured to have a so-called 'normal', i.e., heterosexual marriage.

If my post helps a few people who are deaf to the moral issues I raise on why the bigotry is wrong to gays, to say "wait, some heterosexuals get hurt, too" and to re-consider their positions, well, that's a good thing, even if it's not quite for the right reasons.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999
Harvey, you still seem to be missing the 'twist' in my post.
I'm glad you're not a gay basher, but I didn't miss anything. You seem to be missing the implications of your thread title, regardless of where you tried to go from there.

If that's not what you meant, you can always edit it or let this drop.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I'm tired of seeing weak gay people who refuse to be honest about who they are protecting themselves by harming an innocent person of the opposite sex and marrying them.

How must Ted Haggery's wife feel about now, thinking she married a religious man and finding out that she was his 'cover' so he could have the fame and wealth?

Marriage is a serious thing, not to be trifled with, not to be used for deceipt and enrichment.

Michael Huffington did it to Arianna.

I've seen it happen to other women as well. It's just wrong.

And, we should fight against the bigotry which pressures people to have to pay such a big price for happening to be gay.

Let gays marry each other, and everyone benefits.

Wait, so gay people are forced to marry a woman? I'm confused.

Or, your argument is fundamentally flawed. Just because your gay doesnt require you to marry a woman. Hell, be single, be gay and keep it in the bedroom. Being gay has no bearing on marrying a woman and shaming her, many a straight guy has married a woman and screwed the neighbor. I'm sure that shames a woman just as much.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm glad you're not a gay basher, but I didn't miss anything. You seem to be missing the implications of your thread title, regardless of where you tried to go from there.

If that's not what you meant, you can always edit it or let this drop.

Maybe you can clarify what it you think I'm missing in the title. I actually am saying that gay people who get married to the opposite gender because of the stigma, when they misled their partner, are wrong for doing so, as one part of the message; the other is that the stigma itself is wrong, and that the spouses are one more victi of the bigotry.

Originally posted by: Specop 007
Wait, so gay people are forced to marry a woman? I'm confused.

Or, your argument is fundamentally flawed. Just because your gay doesnt require you to marry a woman. Hell, be single, be gay and keep it in the bedroom. Being gay has no bearing on marrying a woman and shaming her, many a straight guy has married a woman and screwed the neighbor. I'm sure that shames a woman just as much.

I never said they're forced, I said they're inappropriate pressured, because of the stigma of bigotry making them far better off if they get into a 'straight' marriage.

You say they can just remain single, but they get a lot more benefit from having a straight marriage, especially in the past.

Would Haggerty have been able to rise as a 'family values' preacher as a closeted single man rather than as a man with a wife and children?

There are many, many sad stories of gay people who for various reasons choose to have a 'sham' marriage that involved deceipt of the spouse, and harms them.

Message 1: end the bigotry which creates the pressure against gays.
Message 2: if you face that bigotry, don't deal with it by having a deceitful marriage.