I'm about to get a 4K monitor - are there any things I should know?

swapjim

Nov 16, 2015
I'm about to buy a 4K display with 0.13 dot pitch.

I'm doing this for clarity. The Apple laptops' displays look soooo sharp compared to other displays I've seen. And their secret is their tiny pixel/dot pitch.

I know that with more than 8M effective pixels I'll need to lower down my resolution in games and play in 'framed' mode ('scaled' blurs things so it's a no-no). So this means putting my face closer on the screen. Bam! I have effectively converted my high detail monitor into a low detail one :p But I digress.

I also know that I may need to globally scale fonts and increase icons size in my OS (Windows 7).

Besides those two, is there anything else I should be aware of?

4K_shmoorK

Jul 1, 2015
Don't buy any 28" TN 4K panels. As far as I know, all the 28" 4K panels available are TN.

Stick to either a 27" or 32" for desktop use. Windows 7 display scaling is not as 'good' as W10. I'd recommend 32" over 27".

If not just for desktop use, consider a 40-49" Korean 4K panel (Wasabi Mango, Microboard, Crossover). They have a fantastic price to screen size ratio with good response/lag times.

swapjim

Nov 16, 2015
A 27" monitor seems like an overkill for me! I've seen the 27" iMac and it's too big. I'll have to sit far away from the monitor. Even the 24" monitor seems a bit large.

Also, I've never heard of these brands. And I'd rather go with something I'm familiar with.

I am thinking buying Dell P2415Q (the user's guide has more detailed specs). It's a 23.80 inch IPS monitor. I'm mostly buying it for its pixel pitch (0.13 mm).

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
I have the AOC U2868PQU which is 28" 4k. The pitch is very small. Forget about W7 scaling, you will need W10 period.

iluvdeal

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
That's okay. I want to do framing.

Do you want to run your 4k monitor at a lower rez in that frame all the time? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a 4k monitor?

OSX does a great job at scaling, W7 doesn't, you should upgrade to W10 if you'll be using a 4k display.

swapjim

Nov 16, 2015
Do you want to run your 4k monitor at a lower rez in that frame all the time? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a 4k monitor?

Wait a minute. Am I missing something?

When I'm doing stuff on my desktop (lets say video montage) I'll be using full, native resolution of the monitor: 3840 x 2160.

But when I need to run a game, it will run at lower resolution than the monitor's native and so it will run framed, not scaled.

Have I got this right?