I'm a moron, I think I just ruptured my eardrum

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'm pretty sure I just ruptured my eardrum. I was cleaning my ears with q-tips as I have done many, many times over the years without incident. This time, as the q-tip is in there, I hear something over my shoulder, and turn my head, hitting the q-tip, and causing it to go up into my ear. I felt a sharp pain, and immediately got the q-tip out. I immediately noticed that my hearing was drastically reduced in that ear, and that a small amount of blood was coming out. I can now plug my nose, and blow, and air will literally come out of my right ear. I can't believe how stupid it was that I did this.

Has anyone ever ruptured their eardrum? What happens? Does it heal quickly? Do you feel dizzy?

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I've been doing some research on it, and it's apparently not that serious. They tell you to keep it dry, and it will heal within a few days or weeks. I'm going to give the doctor a call to verify that's the case.

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Originally posted by: trmiv
I'm pretty sure I just ruptured my eardrum. I was cleaning my ears with q-tips as I have done many, many times over the years without incident. This time, as the q-tip is in there, I hear something over my shoulder, and turn my head, hitting the q-tip, and causing it to go up into my ear. I felt a sharp pain, and immediately got the q-tip out. I immediately noticed that my hearing was drastically reduced in that ear, and that a small amount of blood was coming out. I can now plug my nose, and blow, and air will literally come out of my right ear. I can't believe how stupid it was that I did this.

Has anyone ever ruptured their eardrum? What happens? Does it heal quickly? Do you feel dizzy?

Ah!!! God.....I just held the sides of my head the whole time I read that....

I agree about the hospital thing. I didn't think ear drums ever healed once you tore them...

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Your biggest problem would probably be infection. See a doctor immediately. They will probably use some antiseptic, put some sort of gauze in the ear canal with medication on it and give you an injection to prevent infection. It is not as minor as you seem to believe.

Booster

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
I also think it may, and most likely, will heal with time. But, for Gods sake, don't use these cotton swabs to clean your ears! It's enough to use your finger to wash them while you're taking a shower, I'm pretty sure.

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
yeah it shouldnt be that bad, it just hurts =)
I had an uncle whos eardrum ruptures over almost anything...it happened driving up a steep hill once just from the pressure difference. Same symptoms, small amount of blood and severe pain. I would still talk to a doctor at least.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
I thought your title said 'Im a mormon.'

rolleye.gif

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Doctor told me to put nothing in my ears, take no aspirin, and come see him 9am on Monday. So I guess that's what I'm going to do. At least I feel OK. It doesn't hurt at all, I just can barely hear out of that ear.

SilverThief

Diamond Member
May 20, 2000
I did that with a car key a few years ago, made a tiny rupture in the eardrum. You need to go to an ear, nose, throat doctor first thing Monday unless the pain is too much to bear...in that case go to the ER,

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Booster
I also think it may, and most likely, will heal with time. But, for Gods sake, don't use these cotton swabs to clean your ears! It's enough to use your finger to wash them while you're taking a shower, I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, you're supposed to use a towel wrapped around your finger to clean your ears. You're not supposed to stick anything in there. Ear wax naturally works its way out and by poking around in there, you risk impacting your ear or worse. If you do have a lot of wax buildup, you're supposed to use one of those OTC cleaning kits with the syringe and solution that dissolves the wax.

McPhreak

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2000
I like how whenever an ATer gets fairly seriously hurt, the first place they consider going is online to ATOT to get "expert" advice and treatment.

I can see the day when some unfortunate ATer gets shot and he stumbles his way onto ATOT for advice on what to do next...
rolleye.gif

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
Originally posted by: SpoooonYeah, you're supposed to use a towel wrapped around your finger to clean your ears. You're not supposed to stick anything in there. Ear wax naturally works its way out and by poking around in there, you risk impacting your ear or worse. If you do have a lot of wax buildup, you're supposed to use one of those OTC cleaning kits with the syringe and solution that dissolves the wax.

You know that good old regular hydrogen peroxide works wonders. It bubbles the wax right out. Was told this by my grandfather and a Navy flight surgeon.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
lay on your side and pour water into your ear and then see if you can blow it out. I am thirsty and would like a water fountain please.

McPhreak

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by: Sundog
Originally posted by: SpoooonYeah, you're supposed to use a towel wrapped around your finger to clean your ears. You're not supposed to stick anything in there. Ear wax naturally works its way out and by poking around in there, you risk impacting your ear or worse. If you do have a lot of wax buildup, you're supposed to use one of those OTC cleaning kits with the syringe and solution that dissolves the wax.

You know that good old regular hydrogen peroxide works wonders. It bubbles the wax right out. Was told this by my grandfather and a Navy flight surgeon.

I just had my physical last week and my doctor told me the same thing. One part peroxide to one part water. I actually just bought the peroxide this morning. One question though...how do you get the peroxide into your ear?

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
Originally posted by: McPhreak
Originally posted by: Sundog

I just had my physical last week and my doctor told me the same thing. One part peroxide to one part water. I actually just bought the peroxide this morning. One question though...how do you get the peroxide into your ear?

You can have some else put it in the cap and pour it in your eat, but what works best is one of the luer lock syringes (the luer lock ones have the stubby threaded tips, way too fat to enter the ear canal).