~~I'm a DOS dummy stupid question ~~

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
I'm working on some homework and all the questions have to do with DOS commands (which I am the resident idiot on.) Do you know a good website that has some info on basic DOS commands. i.e. CLS, DELTREE, RD, MORE, COPY, SYS, MD ect ect...
and I need to list the switches for each command. I have seen a couple sites but they weren't to much help. Yes I got into computers a couple years ago and thought I never needed to learn DOS I guess I'm wrong. :(

feel free to point and laugh bump me :p

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Ahh ad the word "list" and look what you get! thanks

what is the command "MD" ??? it not listed at all on the sites I am looking at... Makes Directories?

dougtran

Feb 21, 2003
Drop to your command line (MS-DOS prompt) and try them out. I would read up on DELTREE before playing with it though, especially DELTREE /S /Y /E C:\ :)

I use Windows 2000 but I always have a DOS box open for quickies.

BTW: MD - make directory. pretty cool if you want to create sub\sub directory quickly. In a GUI interface, you would first have to create the parent folder before the sub-folder. In dos, you can just MD parentfolder\subfolder\subsubfolder, etc. They don't teach you guys this stuff no more?

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
I use the computers at the school computer labs and you cannot get to the DOS prompt or else I would. :( ya DELTREE need to go to best buy and try that... just kidding

drag

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2002
try putting a /? after a command to get help
and just try the "help" command..
been awhile since I used dos stuff like that and i am using a mac right now so I can't double check

Escalade

Dec 20, 2000
BTW: MD - make directory. pretty cool if you want to create sub\sub directory quickly. In a GUI interface, you would first have to create the parent folder before the sub-folder. In dos, you can just MD parentfolder\subfolder\subsubfolder, etc. They don't teach you guys this stuff no more?
I make a batch file called "ND" it contains only 'MD %1' and 'CD %1' just run "ND c:\your\new\subdirectory"
the path is made and changed to the new subdirectory in one command! Never could figure out why this function was never included within any of the DOS versions... oh, well, I guess that's why they provided a way to do it through batch files!