I'm a childish individual

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Talon02

Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Ronstang
Your in a Union town......

The Union is what keeps these people's families alive, health benefits and such. It should be about $75 an hour + materials with a 10% markup, at least in the north bay area, CA

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
looking at the receipt, he has nothing itemized
Then you should have asked him to itemize it if you didn't like it.

You didn't ask how much it would cost. So you figure that its his fault.
So you wrote him a check on a receipt that you didn't like the look of and didn't like the amount you were charged then you cancel the check? Why didn't you say something while he was there?

I would love to do work for you. You say nothing then don't pay. Hope you get screwed.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Its around $50 an hour here in Gainesville, FL

I had one out 2 years ago and it cost me $25 since he only worked for half an hour... He was a nice guy...

emmpee

Golden Member
Nov 26, 2001
Sal: I'm sorry, but your latest post means nothing. Itemization, estimates (FROM ANANDTECH'ERS), etc, are completely moot points. You didn't ask for an estimate, so you got screwed. That's how the game works. No amount of bellyaching about it is going to make anyone think any different. Like I said before, just pay the bill, apologize PROFUSELY for canceling the check, and chalk it up as a life lesson.

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Seriously Salvador, think twice before trying to find leverage in the situation. Cancelling the check you already wrote was, imho, pretty damn ballsy and it'll have you walking on thin ice. Worst case scenario you have to pay some fine or face criminal fraud charges. At the very least, you've likely managed to soil any sort of relationship between you and the shop. Karma like that has a nasty habit of coming around to bite you in the ass.

I'd agree that $373 sounds a bit steep. I had a similar situation calling around to see how much a plumber would cost me. It was just insane.

You've got to increase your awareness. Finding out what you can do to protect yourself (and your wallet) before, during and after is just imperative. Get used to exploring your options first or, if you jump off the deep end without looking, be prepared to take whatever you meet up with.

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: FatJackSprat
Originally posted by: kleinesarschloch
why not? if lawyers can charge that much for writing a friggin' letter, than the electricians can do that too. which is harder, writing a letter or running wires out of a junction box?

That's exactly right. No one's ever found themselves in trouble after trying to draft letters of legal significance. It must not be hard at all to write letters, that's why everyone came to their senses and stopped paying lawyers to do it for them hundreds of years ago.

not exactly, if the lawyer drafts the letter than he is also liable for any damages cause by that letter, so yes, he has risk.

godmare

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2002
Wow, did you do the hourly rate math all by yourself?
One sure fire way to never get ripped off by technicians is to do and fix everything your self ;)

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
it's really hard to feel bad for you sal. you ordered the serviced, didn't ask for an estimate and now are bitching about the bill.

at least your not like my one trouble client now, he asked for an estimate, i sent it to him, after looking at the estimate asked for the product, i had it drop shipped to him and now he's saying it costs too much. he's had the software installed and have even called bitching that i haven't given them training on the software (training is ALWAYS additional) but haven't even paid for the product yet.

now that's a loser client.

edit.

oh ya, forgot to add it's been 90 days since he received the product.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
In IL that would have been $130ish + trip charge of 60-80ish. Get "Residental and light Commercial Price Guide", it has brakedowns for every job a contractor can do, along with prices baised on zip code. your library probably has one.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Salvador
If I end up paying him, I'll just have to repaint the company's truck's to say Fvcker instead of Hucker (Electric). I'll probably run around with a similar sign on my car anyway.

Be sure to put "Dumb" above that sign on your car.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
you are a idiot.

its your fault not his.

You called him for the job he didnt call you.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
What pisses me off the most is that considering that I didn't get an up front estimate, he probably thought that it was ok to fvck me over.

If we go by rival's estimates, I've got $70 for the call and $30 an hour labor would work out to be about $145 for the labor (with the service call) and $5 for the parts (two blank wall plates). That's what I was expecting. How the fvck do you come up with $370 labor for an hour to an hour and a half's worth of work? Also, if I would've known about this, I would've had those as*sholes move my tv for me and clean up after themeselves.

The other thing that upsets me is that after looking at the receipt, he has nothing itemized. It's just a parts, labor and total. He's going to have to break down the bill better for me to issue him another check.

If I end up paying him, I'll just have to repaint the company's truck's to say Fvcker instead of Hucker (Electric). I'll probably run around with a similar sign on my car anyway.

Sal

You're an idiot.

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Hoober
What pisses me off the most is that considering that I didn't get an up front estimate, he probably thought that it was ok to fvck me over.

If we go by rival's estimates, I've got $70 for the call and $30 an hour labor would work out to be about $145 for the labor (with the service call) and $5 for the parts (two blank wall plates). That's what I was expecting. How the fvck do you come up with $370 labor for an hour to an hour and a half's worth of work? Also, if I would've known about this, I would've had those as*sholes move my tv for me and clean up after themeselves.

The other thing that upsets me is that after looking at the receipt, he has nothing itemized. It's just a parts, labor and total. He's going to have to break down the bill better for me to issue him another check.

Sal

You're an idiot.

what's funny is that he probably expected to find some sympathy here for his cause.

i hate people who make bad choices and then try to squirm out of their responsibility.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
And if you guys are going to resort to personal attack's, please send me a private message, we'll arrange a meeting and take care of it in person.

Sal

BWAHAHAHAHA you are a tough one that's for sure.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
rolleye.gif

You won't know if you got taken unless you get some other estimates. If you did get taken, as others have said repeatedly, it's your own damn fault for not getting estimates. The fact that you didn't ask for an estimate just makes it worse.

IME, it's not terribly unusual for estimates for small jobs to vary widely. What I've seen a few times is guys that just don't want the job for whatever reason ... to busy, job is to small to be worth their time, etc.. But they'll never decline it outright, just give you a very high bid. If you take it, they'll be happy to do it for that price.

And yeah, canceling the check was really stupid. While $373 may be high, it's not absurdly high. At best you'll end up with a mechanics lien against your property. At worst you'll end up on the receiving end in court. Or maybe he'll be a nice guy and call you up asking for another check + costs. If he does, jump on it and consider this a lesson learned.

KC5AV

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2002
No personal attacks here... I just hope you don't end up facing criminal charges for cancelling the check. Did you consider that the charge for labor was that of 2 people? I agree that the charge looks a little bit high, but the best time to dispute the charges was at the time, and not after they left. That is theft by check. I hope it for you, but you were wrong.

Edit: You might be able to call around and get some estimates from other shops and negotiate a cheaper bill, but don't hold your breath.

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
rates vary widely. You can pretty much pay anything you want to.

When it comes to electrical work.....I would strongly suggest a very well trained individual though.

I was had an electrical problem....and not until I called the THIRD electrician out (an experienced union dude)...did the problem finally get resolved....a problem made WORSE by the first "cheap" electrician. (The 2nd electrician was also a waste from the same first firm)

Wrongly done.....that stuff can be quiet dangerous to your home.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001

And if you guys are going to resort to personal attack's, please send me a private message, we'll arrange a meeting and take care of it in person.

Sal

Are you the same idiot that was in here a couple of weeks ago threating M4H?

There's nothing more satisfying than reading physical threats made by someone over the internet.

You're an idiot.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I plan on paying these guys for their service btw, but just not what they are trying to charge me.

It generally costs a contractor right around $50 to place a lien on a house. If you don't pay what he asks he walks down to the courthouse plops down $50 and puts a lien on your house that will prevent it's sale until he removes it or you sue him to have it removed. If you take it to court you will pay court costs, lawyer fees and you will lose.

Just something to keep in mind.

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: BillGates
Be a man and do it yourself - same time involved, maybe $20 in materials....plus you learn a life skill!

While knowing how to do home improvements is a useful skill, not running new electrical service isn't a lack of manliness, it's avoiding a potential fire hazard if you lack the knowledge and experience to adhere to code.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: FeathersMcGraw
Originally posted by: BillGates
Be a man and do it yourself - same time involved, maybe $20 in materials....plus you learn a life skill!

While knowing how to do home improvements is a useful skill, not running new electrical service isn't a lack of manliness, it's avoiding a potential fire hazard if you lack the knowledge and experience to adhere to code.

OT, but no loss...
Anybody else see those bumper stickers on electrical contractor vehicles ... something like "Wiring is not a hobby ... hire a licensed electrician."

Kinda cracks me up because frankly, most stuff downsteam of the service panel is pretty basic. But then, most people are idiots who are a hazard changing a lightbulb.
<--- recently wired a large addition & passed inspection.