I'm a bit late to the Warcraft 3 party ??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I still play tft every day. I love playing random race 4v4 random team, its glorious just don't expect your win percentage to go over 60% because inevitably you get owned by evil teamates/newb teamates. The single player is fun too, though I haven't played it since it came out.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: evident
alot of people bitch and complain because you can't just mass up units and invade like in starcraft or some of the newer rts games. you have no choice but to micro your hero. there are a plethora of strats and techniques that are used to screw your enemies over as well. they are hard to learn, but once you figure it out, it's a perfect balance of twitch micro and overall strategy.

it's what makes the game so brilliant and better than all the other RTS games out there right now. it's different and it has a tougher learning curve i think.

Eh, not better, just different. Strategy games all behave differently and I'm glad you found one you like. But I personally dislike microing my hero (and many others agree), so to a lot of people it's definitely not "better than all the other RTS games." In fact, it's a lot worse.

On the other hand my opinions on RTSs are shaped by the fact that I suck nuts at absolutely every RTS ever made, no matter how simple. Some of them I can sort of enjoy, but I'm still bad at them.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
If you were playing at a competitive level in Starcraft, Warcraft 3 is easy to pick up. Good players were micro-managing whores to start with.

yusux

Banned
Aug 17, 2008
too bad this games design wasn't darker, food supply limit at 90 and the infamous upkeep tax wasn't my idea of fun.

yusux

Banned
Aug 17, 2008
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
Originally posted by: RyanPaulShaffer
Warcraft 3 was amazing...back in 2002. I used to play on battle.net a ton, watch all of the top players' replays...all that fun stuff!

It does seem that the games are decided in the first five minutes or so. If you don't have the right build order, and don't manage your hero well enough (don't creep fast enough, lose your hero, etc.) then the game is effectively over. The first player to lose their main hero usually ends up being the loser. Nine times out of ten!

Indeed. This is why I hate standard War3 and why I suck at Footmen Frenzy. It requires SO much micro. You have to get really good at tactical moves to surround the enemy hero, and you have to learn all your hero's abilities (which takes a long time!). And of course there's the low limit of how many units you can select at a time.

The micro wasn't that hard in FF, I remember having the option of choosing a hero/footmen or going with night elves/orc/undead, what I would always do is go with nightelves along with 2 of those golemns that has the stunning boulder spells, they would rape heros so hard, and eventually get to dryads then started to get heroes that has speed/dmg/def auras, I was able to win 3/4 FF with this strategy.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Before you try bnet I would play through the campaign missions. The story is good and the gameplay is fun. This will also slowly feed you the units and their uses.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: yusux
Warcraft 3 was amazing...back in 2002. I used to play on battle.net a ton, watch all of the top players' replays...all that fun stuff!

It does seem that the games are decided in the first five minutes or so. If you don't have the right build order, and don't manage your hero well enough (don't creep fast enough, lose your hero, etc.) then the game is effectively over. The first player to lose their main hero usually ends up being the loser. Nine times out of ten!

Indeed. This is why I hate standard War3 and why I suck at Footmen Frenzy. It requires SO much micro. You have to get really good at tactical moves to surround the enemy hero, and you have to learn all your hero's abilities (which takes a long time!). And of course there's the low limit of how many units you can select at a time.

The micro wasn't that hard in FF, I remember having the option of choosing a hero/footmen or going with night elves/orc/undead, what I would always do is go with nightelves along with 2 of those golemns that has the stunning boulder spells, they would rape heros so hard, and eventually get to dryads then started to get heroes that has speed/dmg/def auras, I was able to win 3/4 FF with this strategy.

Well, in my particular case, any micro = too much micro. I can only handle about one thing at a time, which is why I'm so bad at RTSs in general. I could probably handle just the economy/building aspect OR just the fighting aspect OR just the hero management, but two or three of the above and I'm sunk.

It doesn't help that I know pretty much nothing about hero abilities (usually when I play a game of FF, the hero I get is only the first or second time I've ever used it) or any tactics whatsoever.

nestlewater

Banned
Mar 3, 2009
Heres the major issue, on Bnet you'll either get Totally raped up the ass by some uber player, Or get lucky and rape some little kid who builds 1 siege unit 20 mins into the game. and then you realize, i could've ended this 15 minutes ago.

Learn to control your hero WHILE macro managing is the first hurdle.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007

Well, in my particular case, any micro = too much micro. I can only handle about one thing at a time, which is why I'm so bad at RTSs in general. I could probably handle just the economy/building aspect OR just the fighting aspect OR just the hero management, but two or three of the above and I'm sunk.

It doesn't help that I know pretty much nothing about hero abilities (usually when I play a game of FF, the hero I get is only the first or second time I've ever used it) or any tactics whatsoever.

This sounds like a documentary on why you chose to play DoTA.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
I've really found it difficult to play other RTS games after playing W3...
Since I was up around 200 APM in competitive games I tend to sit in other RTS games and just watch the action. Moving squads around trying to save them like I did with individual units during W3 games is futile and useless in other RTS titles.

No other RTS has ever put a premium on every single unit like W3 does... Heck! I was one of the people who used to argue for killing your own units in that game when they were going to die any way so that your opponent wouldnt gain experience. I for one appreciate that. But if you want massive battles where individual units dont really matter, play something else.

yusux

Banned
Aug 17, 2008
Originally posted by: Majes
I was one of the people who used to argue for killing your own units in that game when they were going to die any way so that your opponent wouldnt gain experience.

get a life, a real one

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
I was one of the people who used to argue for killing your own units in that game when they were going to die any way so that your opponent wouldnt gain experience.

get a life, a real one

Suck my nuts, the left one.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003

get a life, a real one

says the guy taking the time to flame someone on an internet forum.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Since I was up around 200 APM in competitive games I tend to sit in other RTS games and just watch the action. Moving squads around trying to save them like I did with individual units during W3 games is futile and useless in other RTS titles.

No other RTS has ever put a premium on every single unit like W3 does... Heck! I was one of the people who used to argue for killing your own units in that game when they were going to die any way so that your opponent wouldnt gain experience. I for one appreciate that. But if you want massive battles where individual units dont really matter, play something else.

This is exactly why there's such a learning curve. Warcraft III IS NOT a game where you can build a massive army, attack the other player's massive army, die, create a new massive army, etc. and expect to win. Most matches are NOT like casual Starcraft, Warcraft II, Total Annihilation, Command & Conquer (older ones at least), Age of Empires, etc.

Before you give up and deem it as too hard, first learn what each unit is good for. All races have units designed for specific purposes - melee "tanking," anti-air, air-to-ground, air-to-air, siege, etc. For example, Human Knights, Undead Abominations, Night Elf Druids of the Claw (bear form) / Mountain Giants, and Orc Tauren are designed to be high health melee tanks. With solo play, you can go a long way just by having a good number of melee tanks coupled with some lower health, high damage ranged / air-air units in the back. Throw in some CC and siege and you're ready for anything.

Once you know what you want to build, figure out the quickest way to build it. Each unique requires a specific building, and each building has other prerequisite buildings. Find the quickest path to build what you want and practice getting there.

After you have the basics down, it's all about hero management (killing creeps to level up, using your Town Portal scroll to save your hero and remaining army rather than being killed and granting enemies experience), and micro management. Micro management, such as healing units that are getting low or casting non-autocast debuffs on enemies, is what really sets you apart from the beginners. Once you've played enough for most situations to be automatic ("oh crap, my army is all air and they have tons of anti-air, time to run away..." or "they're focusing attacks on my hero, time to use Invulnerability or run him to the back of my army") you can focus on the little things that make a big difference in the end. Something as simple as using a Scroll of Protection and Scroll of healing during a fight makes a huge difference in the outcome. Throwing down some healing wards or casing cyclone to disable 4-5 of their units will often make or break a fight.

Overall, it's a great game. As with any new game it takes a while to get used to. I didn't really start doing well until I racked up 30-50 losses (with about 10-15 wins) in multiplayer.

I love DotA as well, but I haven't played it about two years. Now I'm so far behind the learning curve it'll be hard to catch up.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005

QFT. war3 is ownage. hard as hell. i love it. seriously all the new rts'es are pussifie d compared to it. starcraft aoe1/aoe2 are the only games that are on par/better than it in terms of complexity. tried to play aoe3 and it was a joke, along with sup commander and dawn of war :thumbsdown:

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
Originally posted by: evident

QFT. war3 is ownage. hard as hell. i love it. seriously all the new rts'es are pussifie d compared to it. starcraft aoe1/aoe2 are the only games that are on par/better than it in terms of complexity. tried to play aoe3 and it was a joke, along with sup commander and dawn of war :thumbsdown:

You think wc3 is more complex and difficult than supcom? Maybe you were playing the singleplayer.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
Play these customs if you can find them:

Bug Evolution
Evolves
Custom Hero Survival

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I loved WCIII. the story was great and the single player was good.

i never finished the expansion though. i should just for the story part. its neat playing WOW and see stuff from WCIII.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Originally posted by: waggy
I loved WCIII. the story was great and the single player was good.

i never finished the expansion though. i should just for the story part. its neat playing WOW and see stuff from WCIII.

yeah. the main reason why i liked WOW at first was because i've been playing the warcraft games since warcraft 1. neat to see the universe expanded on and how blizzard tried really hard to keep the story and lore consistent. besides being a brain-killing timewaster once you hit 60, it was a great game!

def give war3 a try online. it's pretty fun and competetive. you can download replays at www.wcreplays.net to watch basic and not so basic strategies.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: TidusZ

This sounds like a documentary on why you chose to play DoTA.

DoTA still has micro. i can barely beat AI opponents :(

<-- sucks hardcore at RTS, but enjoys them.