Illegal for stores to close early

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Store hours in a mall are set by the mall management.

I lived in a town where the mall was owned by the city and the store operators did not like the hours that management had set and were closing early and not being open on Sunday. The city got the police to give them tickets for that. So, in some cases it can be illegal to close early.

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
Yes, it's illegal to close early, but the last time the US Attorney General tried to sue, the government lost because the store owner said I am changing the store hours and will close when I feel like it.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Yes it can be illegal.

(v) Is open for business at least 146 days during the calendar year. When the application for registration as a new car dealer or used car dealer is made, the applicant shall provide the commissioner with the hours of operation of the business which the person shall maintain during the registration period;

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/sta...pter=001&Section=00004

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: bluestrobe
Originally posted by: waggy
yes it is against the law for a store to close early. IF you catch them doing it then call the police and file a complaint. then you can sue the store and get a good settlement.

Great way to take advantage of a flawed system and shove prices higher to cover your settlement.

If you can make one worthless piece of shit rich in the process then it's all worth it.

That's right, us lawyers need the money. Sue, sue sue!!!

Or were you talking about the person who wanted to go to the store but found it closed early? :confused:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: smack Down
Yes it can be illegal.

(v) Is open for business at least 146 days during the calendar year. When the application for registration as a new car dealer or used car dealer is made, the applicant shall provide the commissioner with the hours of operation of the business which the person shall maintain during the registration period;

err

(8) "Dealer" shall mean a person, partnership, or corporation who is engaged in the business of buying, selling, or exchanging new or used motor vehicles, as well as other types of motor vehicle dealers, except finance and auction dealer and transporter:

(A) who may, as part of or incidental to such business, repair such vehicles, sell parts and accessories or lease or rent motor vehicles and who:

(i) Has had no previous record of willful violations of dealer laws or regulations in this or any other jurisdiction.

(ii) For initial applications only, has had no previous record of criminal convictions for extortion, forgery, fraud, larceny or embezzlement in this or any other jurisdiction.

(iii) Has no unsatisfied judgments against him or her arising out of violations of consumer protection laws in this or any other jurisdiction.

(iv) Presents proof of compliance with the provisions of 23 V.S.A. § 800 at the time application for registration is made.

(v) Is open for business at least 146 days during the calendar year. When the application for registration as a new car dealer or used car dealer is made, the applicant shall provide the commissioner with the hours of operation of the business which the person shall maintain during the registration

THIS is to clearify who is DEALER. this is nto a law saying they have to be open.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Dirigible
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: bluestrobe
yes it is against the law for a store to close early. IF you catch them doing it then call the police and file a complaint. then you can sue the store and get a good settlement.

Great way to take advantage of a flawed system and shove prices higher to cover your settlement.

If you can make one worthless piece of shit rich in the process then it's all worth it.

That's right, us lawyers need the money. Sue, sue sue!!!

Or were you talking about the person who wanted to go to the store but found it closed early? :confused:

Doesn't matter really. Flip a coin.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000

I really want to say it is fake, but I am not going to lie, it would not surprise me if it was real. All I quote to that is: "Some say a comet will fall from the sky, followed by meteor showers and tidal waves, followed by faultlines that cannot sit still..."

The California locale really makes me question my original hoax conclusion.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Chartered banks aren't allowed to be closed more than 3 days in a row (which means they have to be open on the Friday after Thanksgiving), but that's the only law I know of that says a business has to be open.

dugweb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: jdoggg12
You don't happen to be married to her do you?

you have seriously got to be joking me.

i want to hunt that lady down and beat her upside the head... how can someone be so stupid.

un-frikken-believable

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Roll up the closest newspaper and smack your friend on the nose, just like you would with a puppy that just pee'd on the floor.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: invidia
Ok... someone told me that it is against the law for a business to close early. Did this guy meant that if a store closed before their advertised hours, constitute as false advertisement (spelling?)?

The only thing I can imagine is that stores in malls probably have to be open during mall hours - illegal probably not, but maybe they can be fined or something.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Yes it can be illegal.

err

(8) "Dealer" shall mean a person, partnership, or corporation who is engaged in the business of buying, selling, or exchanging new or used motor vehicles, as well as other types of motor vehicle dealers, except finance and auction dealer and transporter:

(A) who may, as part of or incidental to such business, repair such vehicles, sell parts and accessories or lease or rent motor vehicles and who:

(i) Has had no previous record of willful violations of dealer laws or regulations in this or any other jurisdiction.

(ii) For initial applications only, has had no previous record of criminal convictions for extortion, forgery, fraud, larceny or embezzlement in this or any other jurisdiction.

(iii) Has no unsatisfied judgments against him or her arising out of violations of consumer protection laws in this or any other jurisdiction.

(iv) Presents proof of compliance with the provisions of 23 V.S.A. § 800 at the time application for registration is made.

(v) Is open for business at least 146 days during the calendar year. When the application for registration as a new car dealer or used car dealer is made, the applicant shall provide the commissioner with the hours of operation of the business which the person shall maintain during the registration

THIS is to clearify who is DEALER. this is nto a law saying they have to be open.

Sure it does, "applicant shall provide the commissioner with the hours of operation of the business which the person shall maintain during the registration"

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Sure it does, "applicant shall provide the commissioner with the hours of operation of the business which the person shall maintain during the registration"
No, that does not say it is illegal to close early. That says that an auto dealer must provide their normal business hours.

edit - fixed the bold from the quoted post

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: invidia
Ok... someone told me that it is against the law for a business to close early. Did this guy meant that if a store closed before their advertised hours, constitute as false advertisement (spelling?)?
Your friend is misinformed but some lame place like Chicago could do some nanny state BS like that. Then those places cannot figure out why all the businesses and corporations move.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Yes, and it is also illegal to put up one of those cardboard clocks that say "We will be back at ... "

As a responsible citizen, you should immediately call the police to report this.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: jjones
Yes, and it is also illegal to put up one of those cardboard clocks that say "We will be back at ... "

As a responsible citizen, you should immediately call the police to report this.

we will respond lights and siren with rifles and flashbangs for these things!

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Steven Wright "Why are there locks on the doors of businesses that are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?"