Illegal for stores to close early

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
Ok... someone told me that it is against the law for a business to close early. Did this guy meant that if a store closed before their advertised hours, constitute as false advertisement (spelling?)?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yes it is against the law for a store to close early. IF you catch them doing it then call the police and file a complaint. then you can sue the store and get a good settlement.

bluestrobe

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2004
Originally posted by: waggy
yes it is against the law for a store to close early. IF you catch them doing it then call the police and file a complaint. then you can sue the store and get a good settlement.

Great way to take advantage of a flawed system and shove prices higher to cover your settlement.

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Yes, and because they closed early means its not illegal to break in and take what you want. You SHOULD leave money at the register, but if no one is around to run the debit machine or give you change then leave a note.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: S Freud
Yes, and because they closed early means its not illegal to break in and take what you want. You SHOULD leave money at the register, but if no one is around to run the debit machine or give you change then leave a note.

if they have a self serve isle you have to use that. it stays on and people can use a CC with that.

remember 1st to call the police if the store is closed.

goog40

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2000
Maybe this person was confused with how some malls have requirements that the stores be open during mall hours. I think there was a pretty big bar/restaurant at the Irvine Spectrum that lost their liquor license. So they basically had no customers but they still had to remain open, costing them a ton of money.

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
Heh. Closing early in Alaska is common practice. Sometimes you get snow storms coming during winter which can threaten lives. Stores closing early so that employees can make it safely home before the storms arrive is vital. I have not seen a storm strong enough in two years to close down any business in the last two years however... well except for taxi cabs. In one night we can get anywhere from 2-14 inches of snow where I live, but since there are no tree's and storms are typically accompanied by wind, can get snow drifts that can be as high as 17 feet in just a matter of hours closing down every street in town.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
I heard that you can just Mace them until they get back to work.

Originally posted by: jdoggg12
You don't happen to be married to her do you?
Meanwhile, back at the police station, word gets through about this call.

"Hey, we got a call down at the Burger King. Sounds like we got a good excuse to go pick up burgers! Who wants what?" Then they go down there, get their burgers, and wave to the crazy woman who wanted her special cheeseburger.

"You're supposed to be here to protect me."
If Thomas Jefferson knew about this, I'm sure he would have written it right into the Constitution that failure to properly procure a cheeseburger will be considered treason.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: goog40
Maybe this person was confused with how some malls have requirements that the stores be open during mall hours. I think there was a pretty big bar/restaurant at the Irvine Spectrum that lost their liquor license. So they basically had no customers but they still had to remain open, costing them a ton of money.

I don't know if it's illegal, but I have heard about what goog40 is talking about. Stores in malls agree to be open at a certain time and close at a certain time. It they open late or close early, then the mall fines the stores. It's part of the stores' lease agreements with the mall.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Originally posted by: goog40

I don't know if it's illegal, but I have heard about what goog40 is talking about. Stores in malls agree to be open at a certain time and close at a certain time. It they open late or close early, then the mall fines the stores. It's part of the stores' lease agreements with the mall.

Which will lend itself to no legal recourse on behalf of the customer.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
don't believe the neigh-sayers! I owned a business! it is against the law! its in the secret handbook that all business owners get (page 43 paragraph 3).

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006

The police here would laugh their ass off if someone called them for that kind of bullshit.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: bluestrobe

Great way to take advantage of a flawed system and shove prices higher to cover your settlement.

If you can make one worthless piece of shit rich in the process then it's all worth it.

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
don't believe the neigh-sayers! I owned a business! it is against the law! its in the secret handbook that all business owners get (page 43 paragraph 3).

This is true, I managed to get my hands on a copy but as soon as I was getting to the good parts the book just seemed to vanish in my hands.:Q