If your GPU is recommended, its old

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Like the first Crysis right?

most gaming PCs at the time could play the game on medium-high just fine and it looked great, but if you wanted to play it maxed out you were out of luck and raging on Internet forums.

Yes, exactly. The game was quite playable at medium settings on most systems, and high on high end systems. Because they gave "very high" options, many people raged about it being unplayable and horrible optimized.

I found it comical, and a shame it caused them to dial back the graphics on Crysis 2.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
And this is a problem how? If you are gamer who cranks it all up you already have a 780 Ti. Or three.

Galatian

Dec 7, 2012
The thing is, not much has happened in the GPU space since the 20 nm node gets delayed and delayed. I have a EVGA GTX 670 FTW Signature 2 watercooled and it's overclocked to a gaming and OCCT stable 1267 MHz Core and 7400 MHz Memory. That's almost GTX 770 territory
Right now there are sales going on, so I could have a R9 290X for as low as 379€ at a German E-Seller, but let's be realistic: it's "only" 20% faster usually. I'd rather wait for a bigger difference.

Anyway: let nobody tell you that a GTX 670 is slow by any means. I'd still consider it at a sweet spot between mid and high end ;-)

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
BF4 smashed through the 670's Vram ceiling and caused hitching and stuttering @ 1080p. Kind of minor, but enough to make me lower texture settings to high.

I expect most people who reply to threads like this to be about as picky as me.
I am a victim of this myself. I live my life under the boot of those with dual 780ti's or 290X's. I feel the heavy weight of their presence by the tread of their signatures.

I couldn't care less what cards someone else has an I'm very happy gaming with my HD7950.

Some people pick settings so that "Look, I enabled all the settings and I get good FPS. YAY!!!!!"

I enable settings so that "The games looks the best it can while giving me good FPS. I'm not enabling XYZ setting because I see little to no visual improvement for the vast FPS drop I'm getting"

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I couldn't care less what cards someone else has an I'm very happy gaming with my HD7950.

Some people pick settings so that "Look, I enabled all the settings and I get good FPS. YAY!!!!!"

I enable settings so that "The games looks the best it can while giving me good FPS. I'm not enabling XYZ setting because I see little to no visual improvement for the vast FPS drop I'm getting"

It takes time to mess with all the settings. It's nice to be able to turn everything on and play though. I don't know what half the settings do most of the time. But all I care about is that I like how it looks, it plays without stutter, and at my native resolution.