If your GPU is recommended, its old

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
http://store.steampowered.com/app/241930/

This game recommends a GTX 670/AMD 7970. My usual rule of thumb is that whatever a game recommends, then you need double that for a decent gameplay experience at near max settings. I have two 670's and i'm willing to bet that they barely manage to max this game at 1080p.
So, if you find that your GPU is starting to be on the "recommended" list of cards for new games, you will probably soon be underpowered.

tygeezy

Aug 28, 2012
And yet somehow they are able to get this game running on a ps3 and xbox 360.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Remember that they said Dishonoured would need a GTX460, when it ran perfectly well at full detail on a 8800GT.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
"Recommended" doesn't mean the same thing to all developers and all games. Some may actually want you to have the best experience possible - hence the "recommended" hardware vs. "minimum". I'd wager you can more than max that game with a GTX 670 SLI (as long as its got a good profile). I'd bet you can come close with one.

Revolution 11

Jun 2, 2011
There is a big difference between something like Witcher 2/3 or Cyberpunk 2077 and Call of Duty XYZ. If there is no nice eye candy, you don't even need recommended hardware.

Last edited:

Haserath

Sep 12, 2010
When your GPU is specifically named on the minimum req, do you win a new video card?:biggrin:

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
When your GPU is recommended it's old, that's true.

You need double that for a decent gameplay.....that's horribly wrong!

Aug 11, 2008
Will this have single player, or is it another on-line only game? If it has single player, I would be very interested. Love the Middle Earth franchise.

In any case, recommended specs are pretty high. Be interesting to see how the 4670 and FX 6300 perform vs the 3770 and 8350, since the recommended specs are for hyperthreading or 8 cores.

Also, why 40gb disk space for recommended install vs 25gb for minimum?

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I frankly do not think that developers expect people to play at maxed settings, or even near maxed settings. It is of my opinion that they base the recommended settings on what system will give you a excellent visual and game play experience.

I fully believe people look at PC settings all wrong. In my opinion, developers create settings so that we can optimize games to our hardware and preferences. If they expected us to just put everything at max, or ultra, they would not have created these settings for us. I doubt developers of Crysis, and Metro expect or recommend people to play at max settings. They gave us lots of options so we can pick and choose and optimize the game for what our system can handle, and I'm betting their recommended systems are meant for "high" settings, rather than "very high" or "ultra".

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
And yet somehow they are able to get this game running on a ps3 and xbox 360.
Max settings on a PC are leaps and bounds above the xbox and ps3. Just think of it like this; the xbox and ps3 version of the game are playing at low to medium settings at a very low resolution, while PC gamers play at higher resolutions and settings, but even the most basic gaming PC's can play at xbox and ps3 settings.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
I also think that developers will try to build-in some "future proofing" for their game, by intentionally aiming too high for current technology, because everyone knows that later computers will easily run the game because they will be much more powerful. So it's nice to have super fancy features that choke computers today, but will look good on tomorrow's computers and provide even more enjoyment/eye candy.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
This game better look DAMN good given the requirements, and I'll be extremely happy if it does so!

560/6950 minimum is more of a statement than 670/7970 suggested. 560's and 6950's are still pretty good cards! Of course this game is a 6 months away but still... could be a decent step up in quality.

Maybe this is a early sign of upped requirements due to new consoles?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Reccomended usually means the minumum to get an optimal experience. If your card is reccomended it's the lowest available and you should replace it if you want to run settings more than normal/medium.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
http://store.steampowered.com/app/241930/

This game recommends a GTX 670/AMD 7970. My usual rule of thumb is that whatever a game recommends, then you need double that for a decent gameplay experience at near max settings. I have two 670's and i'm willing to bet that they barely manage to max this game at 1080p.
So, if you find that your GPU is starting to be on the "recommended" list of cards for new games, you will probably soon be underpowered.

moonbogg: for "what its worth" I moved my dual EVGA GTX670FTWs in SLI into my 3770k rig with a 27" 1920 x 1080p monitor and they run well. I replaced them with a single EVGA GTX780 Classified which I water Cooled. I use a 27' 2560 x 1440 monitor on my 3930k rig below. Since the 780 is watercooled and is a Classified I can really OC it. It runs Firestike at 11000 for a single card while the dual 670s run it at 11200.

I think your dual 670 rig is still VERY powerful for 1080p play. If you up the monitor resolution it might slip a little at very high resolution.

I worried about a single 780 being a "downgrade" but it hasn't felt that way in game play.

tygeezy

Aug 28, 2012
Apples to oranges. Those run it at a much lower resolution. You're not going to need a double GTX 670 to run it at 720p.
I'm just saying if they can get that game to run at any capacity on older consoles surely it will be playable on a lesser pc in some fashion.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I'm just saying if they can get that game to run at any capacity on older consoles surely it will be playable on a lesser pc in some fashion.
And they often are, just at low settings and possibly low FPS. Remember that most consoles run their games at 30 FPS, which most of us mouse using PC users find too low.

I imagine 30 FPS would be more tolerable if we set our hz or Vsync to cap at 30 FPS. Adaptive v-sync (half refresh rate), or V-sync with a FPS limiter set to 30 FPS would give a better experience than what most consider 30 FPS to feel like.

tygeezy

Aug 28, 2012
I often find that lower fps feels a bit smoother on a game pad vs a mouse. I also don't notice the input lag from v sync while using a gamepad. Certainly locking the fps makes it feel smoother as well as the frame rate is consistent.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I often find that lower fps feels a bit smoother on a game pad vs a mouse. I also don't notice the input lag from v sync while using a gamepad. Certainly locking the fps makes it feel smoother as well as the frame rate is consistent.
I totally agree. Mice, being so sensitive and so connected to your arm movements, need higher FPS to feel good enough. Joysticks do not have that same connected feel to them, and can feel good enough at much lower FPS.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Yep. Exactly.

"Minimum requirement" means if you double click the game icon on the desktop, the game will start, but good luck trying to actually play.

haha,if your gpu is on the minimum list start to worry i guess:p.

Mondozei

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2013
Remember the 3 GB "recommended" graphics card for BF4?

Turns out if you played at 1080p - like the vast majority of people do - you were more than fine with a GTX 770 or some other decent 2 GB card, you never hit the VRAM ceiling.

I still laugh when I see people take these hyped up specs seriously. Often its as much marketing as anything else. People very often overestimate how much GPU power they typically need, a foolishness that game companies are more than willing to exploit.