If you were to time travel 15,000 years ago...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gophins72

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2005
i'd bring back a bucket of buffalo wings, that would really piss off the paleontologists.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
I'd probably introduce them to a modern version of a cold or the flu and subsequently wipe out half the population.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'd probably try and sabotage our chances at surviving the challenges of Earth.

Personally, I just want to sack Rome before Rome got sacked. I want to remove the Romans from history, see where that puts us today. As I'm a betting man, I'd wager we'd be better off. Thoughts?

You'd basically wipe any notion of a republic from the thoughts of Western Civilization. Not sure we'd be better off.

Not to mention the spreading of latin to many areas of europe, so many romance languages would cease to exist.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You'll probably find a void since Earth was created 5000-6000 years ago...

sonicdrummer20

Jul 2, 2008
What do you think you would be able to bring to civilization?

I just randomly thought about this and was thinking about how frustrating things might be.

I guess I could help making more advanced tools but other than that... I'm not too sure.

What sdifox said!

Last edited:

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Assuming that I survived the initial introduction to the tribe, and eventually learned their language, I could:

Introduce the concept of sanitization and infection prevention. Even just getting them to boil water and clean wounds would help.
Introduce Sewage and pest control
Look for flint, even though I have no idea what it looks like
Try to make a bow and arrow
Introduce the use of levers and pulleys. No idea what I'd use it for.
Try to create nets.

Assuming they farm:
Introduce the concept of a yoke for using animals to plow fields.
Build a grinding mill, maybe use water power.

But realistically, they'd probably just kill me within the first ten minutes of my arrival.

/obligatory reference "This is my BOOMSTICK!"

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
The best contribution I could ever make for humanity being sent back that far in time is to ensure religion never gets established. :p

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
i'd bring back a bucket of buffalo wings, that would really piss off the paleontologists.

Now *that* would be funny: Run around all over (Stonehenge, for example) burying things like Monty Python DVD's, crack pipes, and latex condoms...

Then fast forward 15,000 years and watch Archaeologists' heads collectively explode. :D

I'd probably introduce them to a modern version of a cold or the flu and subsequently wipe out half the population.

Probably a bit of both - What we'd bring would destroy them. But not before you caught theirs...

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
You'd basically wipe any notion of a republic from the thoughts of Western Civilization. Not sure we'd be better off.

Not to mention the spreading of latin to many areas of europe, so many romance languages would cease to exist.

Yeah, but sometimes there is a necessity for "a necessary evil" - taking out Rome would likely solve half the world's problems. Alexandria might not have been formed, but something similar might have been built somewhere else, and even if it held half the amount of information, if it didn't catch fire, we'd have a lot of history that is brand new to us today.
The Roman Catholic Empire would never have conquered anything, the Dark Ages would not have been nearly as dark, this whole Jesus thing probably wouldn't have gone to the lengths of craziness... Europe would likely be under Middle Eastern control, or at least have been controlled at some point in history.

Quite likely, Islam would have spread the world over. Not sure if better... :hmm:

I say wipe out Rome after they teach the world about Republics. They were around for awhile and didn't commit to any dickery, the first few centuries with the Romans were alright. It was when they started getting cocky that things went south.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah, but sometimes there is a necessity for "a necessary evil" - taking out Rome would likely solve half the world's problems. Alexandria might not have been formed, but something similar might have been built somewhere else, and even if it held half the amount of information, if it didn't catch fire, we'd have a lot of history that is brand new to us today.
The Roman Catholic Empire would never have conquered anything, the Dark Ages would not have been nearly as dark, this whole Jesus thing probably wouldn't have gone to the lengths of craziness... Europe would likely be under Middle Eastern control, or at least have been controlled at some point in history.

Quite likely, Islam would have spread the world over. Not sure if better... :hmm:

I say wipe out Rome after they teach the world about Republics. They were around for awhile and didn't commit to any dickery, the first few centuries with the Romans were alright. It was when they started getting cocky that things went south.

assassinating Gaius Caesar before he became Caesar probably would have accomplished all of that, without necessarily ending Rome.

It wasn't Rome that was the problem, so much as what happened after the civil war; i.e.: Republic pretty good, emperors bad.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Lmao at the feminine hygiene idea, the woman (if they had any power) would proclaim you a god.

But really just something simple would do wonders. Even a shovel, axe, hammer etc would be a god send... until it broke. Or simple knowledge on how to farm, disease prevention etc.

This would be all after I establish myself as some quasi god of course.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Depends on how much prep time I get before leaving. If I go back right now, I wouldn't last 2 days and wouldn't really be able to contribute much. But if I have 10 years of prep time, I think I could come up with some pretty nifty basic ideas to bring back.

Oh, and I would definitely try and screw with anthropologists as much as possible. Put random chunks of C and modern English everywhere I could find with statements like "Today we push the red button. I hope it all goes well."

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
iPhone 4. And then tell them about messiah Jobs that will take over the world in 2000s.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Oh, and I would definitely try and screw with anthropologists as much as possible. Put random chunks of C and modern English everywhere I could find with statements like "Today we push the red button. I hope it all goes well."

:awe::biggrin: