If you were in an elevator and it started to fall...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I would open the elevator doors just as it was about to hit and step out. It works for Bugs Bunny.

Seriously though, if the elevator was freefalling, you'd be able to float around like the astronauts do on TV. COOL

Exactly, you would be wieghtless, even if you had time and tried to stay on the floor, you couldn't.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Use the walls to lay my ass down on the floor and hope it feels like falling off a bunk bed.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I've got you all beat.

I'd fire up the laptop with WiFi and post about it on ATOT.

"HELP --- I'M ON THE 38TH FLOOR AND THE ELEVATOR IS DROPPING, WTF DO I DO????"

In obnoxious caps of course.

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Dezign
Originally posted by: Hubris
Lie on the ground. Best chance for survival.

By distributing your weight evenly? That's what I figured... I heard if your parachute doesn't open when you skydive, you should arrange it so your body hits the ground flat (lying on your stomach, weight evenly distributed). Every bone in your body may shatter, but you have a better chance of living that way.

I don't think I'd remember that if I was freefalling, but... it's good to know, just in case.

Should you lie on your stomach in an elevator too?
(<---- wants to be prepared)

00Jones

Banned
Jul 15, 2001
As in, the cord snapped and you were falling quickly (to almost certain doom)...

What would you do?

Jump up and down, lie flat on the bottom, or spend the last few seconds of your life trying to escape through the roof of the elevator?

I've been watching too many movies.

Grab the nearest chicks breats :Q

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: 00Jones
As in, the cord snapped and you were falling quickly (to almost certain doom)...

What would you do?

Jump up and down, lie flat on the bottom, or spend the last few seconds of your life trying to escape through the roof of the elevator?

I've been watching too many movies.

Grab the nearest chicks breats :Q

But don't forget to take pics :)

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Is this even possible anymore? Don't all elevators have some kind of security feature that doesn't use the cables?

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
if it was a long fall i would try to climb out the top of the elevator cause if you are inside you are dead.

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
hrmm, id jump right before hitting the ground. and then like..... id be good to go. :D

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: amcdonald
I'd probably take my pants off and try to get an erection. What a funny sight that would be for the people who find me.

This is freaking hilarious.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Is this even possible anymore? Don't all elevators have some kind of security feature that doesn't use the cables?

Friction brakes.

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002

This answers all Questions, and gives you someone to call if it does...

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: amcdonald
I'd probably take my pants off and try to get an erection. What a funny sight that would be for the people who find me.

This is freaking hilarious.

hehe, that actually made me LOL :p