If you were in a high speed chase with the cops..what vehicle would you be driving?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Tanks.jpg
I love American police chases! I have no idea why they send so many cars in pursuit but it looks good on the telly!

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
A Honda CR250 is what I used to outrun cops when I was a kid.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
AMC Pacer. Notice the flames on the car, those and the mag wheels on the back tires make it go faster. Everyone knows that.

landscape-1475781906-screen-shot-2016-10-06-at-32316-pm-2.png

Reactions: Red Squirrel

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Beige or predawn grey mica Camry Hybrid in or a Black Honda Accord Hybrid Close to 700 miles on a tank of gas.
First pocket of traffic they'll get confused as to which Camry or Accord I'm in

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
Many departments have an unwritten policy of not chasing super bikes for safety reasons. Still didn't stop this genius:

https://www.twincities.com/2018/06/05/fridley-motorcycle-crash-flees-police-100-mph/

According to a statement from Fridley police, a police sergeant attempted to stop a motorcyclist who had been driving recklessly, near 61st and University Avenues N.E. Once the sergeant had activated his emergency lights, the motorcyclist peeled away. The sergeant didn’t pursue the driver because of policy and concerns for public safety.

clearly the department's fault for even attempting to pull him over. They should just declare that super bikes are immune from all traffic infractions to avoid such senseless tragedies

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I love American police chases! I have no idea why they send so many cars in pursuit but it looks good on the telly!

Haha it's so true. Even the single car chases it's like "why even bother" they will be super relentless and not stop chasing and the effort just escalates. It's like an action movie. The chopper views of chases are always fun.

IMO the process for these should be to have the cop take note of the license plate and keep video footage of them fleeing police and then just intercept them at some other point. Safer for everyone. Not as fun though. :p

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
Oh that's a classic right there. Municipal bureaucracy can be bad enough to drive people to do this. The story about this is rather interesting.

That guy who fought him with a grader while getting shot at was even more badass

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
FGM-148 units engage a rogue MBT and it's game over.

Running from the cops is pretty dumb. If you have a way to shutter your license plate you increase your odds. But once they ID you, it's game over and if you continue to run you just rack up points against you.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
White Ford Bronco. They don't even try to get you to pull over and just follow you home.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Pretty stupid in this day and age to try and out run the cops. However back in the late 80's I had a "friend" outrun them on a Kawasaki KZ650 motorcycle. Apparently he was going too fast, and a cop coming the other way turned around behind him to give chase. The friend on the motorcycle accelerated, and funneled the cop into a known dead end road. There was, however, a sidewalk going over some railroad tracks that the motorcycle was able to negotiate, the chase car could not. At that point the friend simply made a few corners and was home in the garage.while the cop was having to go several blocks to get back on track. I remember this friend shaking in his boots and vowing to never do that again.

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
Pretty stupid in this day and age to try and out run the cops. However back in the late 80's I had a "friend" outrun them on a Kawasaki KZ650 motorcycle. Apparently he was going too fast, and a cop coming the other way turned around behind him to give chase. The friend on the motorcycle accelerated, and funneled the cop into a known dead end road. There was, however, a sidewalk going over some railroad tracks that the motorcycle was able to negotiate, the chase car could not. At that point the friend simply made a few corners and was home in the garage.while the cop was having to go several blocks to get back on track. I remember this friend shaking in his boots and vowing to never do that again.

Hmmm...

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
clearly the department's fault for even attempting to pull him over. They should just declare that super bikes are immune from all traffic infractions to avoid such senseless tragedies
2010 Tacoma pickups too.

Our PD has the no chase policy on motorcycles too. A couple of years ago, a guy flies by my house at 2AM, actually wakes me up because it was so loud. He was running from the police that hadn't even chased him. 1/2 mile later, he missed the curve. The lamp post did not survive.