If you were immortal......

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
If you knew that you would never grow a day older than the age of 25; would you bother getting married, have long term job goals, invest in a 401k, etc.....

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Globviously.

Duh.

What's the point in being immortal if you can't be fabulously wealthy, and do whatever you want.

Immortality & being trailer trash doesn't exactly sound like fun :p

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: her209
If you were immortal and didn't eat food, would you die?

Immortality is so sketchy. From sci-fi, I've learned that immortality just means that you "could" live forever if you don't kill yourself, get killed and take care of yourself. Lot of dead elves ad vampires say so...

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
I dunno but unless I got an immortal cutie wife, I'd be incredibly lonely. :(

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
I don't know about marriage, but money will be easy, you can perform all kind of stunts and get big pays.

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
I think 30 is the perfect age. 25 is still young and at the point where you're still learning how to be an adult. With that said, why ever get married if you're immortal? Have sex with as much women as you can. And hell, just for kicks, do a skanky one. If you're immortal you're immune to diseases. I wouldn't have long term goals. I would travel to each country in the world. Fly fish ever river and lake known to man and a lot not known. I would still have a 401k though. Imagine the wealth you could accumulate.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal
I think 30 is the perfect age. 25 is still young and at the point where you're still learning how to be an adult. With that said, why ever get married if you're immortal? Have sex with as much women as you can. And hell, just for kicks, do a skanky one. If you're immortal you're immune to diseases. I wouldn't have long term goals. I would travel to each country in the world. Fly fish ever river and lake known to man and a lot not known. I would still have a 401k though. Imagine the wealth you could accumulate.

You could probably still get crabs and other non-life-threatening STDs.

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by: coldmeat

You could probably still get crabs and other non-life-threatening STDs.

That's fine. They make creams for that and antibiotics for the clap.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
you would have an eternity to save money, so given time, you will become fabulously wealthy as the interests accumulates. Hmm... I would try to slowly take over the world one snowy mountain at a time (for snowboarding), and then expand my empire as the years go by. Once everything under the sun is united, there will be peace. And then I would build a huge intergalactic fleet of battlecruisers and start hunting aliens just for fun :p

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: MetalMat
If you knew that you would never grow a day older than the age of 25; would you bother getting married, have long term job goals, invest in a 401k, etc.....

long term job goals? 401k?

Why would you even really need to work?

ksaajasto

Nov 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Judgement

I agree... i would just max and relax... travel... nothings gonna happen :)

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by: ksaajasto

How would you without quite a bit of money?

Savarak

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2001
bar bets can keep the moola flowing... double down in vegas.... buy artifacts and bury them, sell when they are worth alot, after several hundred years

tasmanian

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2006
Originally posted by: ksaajasto

How would you without quite a bit of money?

Hitching and begging for money.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Well I'd effectively have eternity, so sure, I'd have long term goals. Maybe work one job for 50 years, then switch to something else, read an entire library's contents, get married several times, invest 2 cents in a savings account and enjoy the interest in a thousand years, etc etc. Being immortal would give you a lot of time to do just about anything.:)

There was an episode of ST: Voyager, where one of the Q wanted to die, because it was the only thing in the Universe that he hadn't experienced yet. He said he was a scarecrow for awhile, just to see what it was like. If you've got eternity, it changes the way you do things. There's not as much rush. Everything on a hurried human timescale could start to appear like little flickering candles, even the lifetimes of individuals, like flames flaring up and dying out so quickly. No hurries, no worries. Timeless. :)

summit

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2001
would u cash out your 401k at 25 in 30 years and be penalized up the butt? makes no sense...if you were married and had kids your wife would be 50 and ur kids would be 26 you'd be 25 that be messed up.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005

Yes, yes, yes, yes

I'd still want to be successful and happy and whatnot...