If you saw a neighbor (home or business) being robbed, what would you do?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
1. Call the cops
2. Call my neighbor 2 miles down the road and he'll block the thief's egress with his truck (we're on a dead-end road)
3. Call a few other neighbors
4. Go confront the thief

In that order.

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
This

But seriously, of course I would call the cops. If a neighbor saw someone breaking into my place / car I would hope they would call too.

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
Originally posted by: JohnCU
Last night, the store across the street (auto zone) got robbed for the 4th time. However, this time, the dumbass pulled up to the front of the store, broke the glass out of the front door with a hammer and went to work. Well, it woke my mom. She looked out the window and figured no one would pull up to the front of a store to rob it at 1:15 in the morning. So she went out on the porch, saw the guy rummaging through the store and saw him leave. She gets his license plate and calls the police. They come in about 3 minutes, 1 unit goes in the direction of the guy and finally picks him up.

Obviously, she did the right thing, but we're not sure if he saw her or not. The light on the porch was off, but still, it was 1:15 in a small town and he probably assumes it was us, since we're the only house in this area. The funny thing is, the store doesn't keep cash there since they've been robbed so many times. He only got a couple of rolls of quarters. I figure he was drugged up, his address is in a gang-ridden town where drugs are pretty bad.

Nevertheless, i only had a single-shot 20ga in the house, but in case he comes back, I did some shopping today. I went to get a shotgun, but found out there is no waiting period in my state for handguns, so I picked up a S&W 9mm. It's fairly nice. Shotgun is better for self-defense but they didn't have any of the guns I had been reviewing and wanted and I've been wanting a handgun since I shot one a couple of months ago soooo..

Would you have called the cops and risked retaliation?

The business is more than likely insured but does your mother really want to have her family near a store that has been robbed 4 times?

I'll tell you something. I moved my wife and daughter down to Florida to an area that I thought was nice. It's Lehigh Acres. You think crime in major cities is bad? This "town" suffers from dead bodies on the side of the road as you take your kid to the school bus, regular home invasions, the most grow houses (marijuana) in entire SWFL, nearly every store has been robbed in town, and the smallest police force known to man.

I lived there for a year. Once the lease was up I moved my wife and daughter out of there.

As a parent your job is to raise and protect your children. Your mother did that by getting one less loser criminal off the streets but she's putting her kids in jeopardy as well. Your family should move as soon as you can.

It's worth suffering through the hard time of a move over risking that one crazy drug addict invading your home next time. Trust me.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: jonmcc33
Last night, the store across the street (auto zone) got robbed for the 4th time. However, this time, the dumbass pulled up to the front of the store, broke the glass out of the front door with a hammer and went to work. Well, it woke my mom. She looked out the window and figured no one would pull up to the front of a store to rob it at 1:15 in the morning. So she went out on the porch, saw the guy rummaging through the store and saw him leave. She gets his license plate and calls the police. They come in about 3 minutes, 1 unit goes in the direction of the guy and finally picks him up.

Obviously, she did the right thing, but we're not sure if he saw her or not. The light on the porch was off, but still, it was 1:15 in a small town and he probably assumes it was us, since we're the only house in this area. The funny thing is, the store doesn't keep cash there since they've been robbed so many times. He only got a couple of rolls of quarters. I figure he was drugged up, his address is in a gang-ridden town where drugs are pretty bad.

Nevertheless, i only had a single-shot 20ga in the house, but in case he comes back, I did some shopping today. I went to get a shotgun, but found out there is no waiting period in my state for handguns, so I picked up a S&W 9mm. It's fairly nice. Shotgun is better for self-defense but they didn't have any of the guns I had been reviewing and wanted and I've been wanting a handgun since I shot one a couple of months ago soooo..

The business is more than likely insured but does your mother really want to have her family near a store that has been robbed 4 times?

I'll tell you something. I moved my wife and daughter down to Florida to an area that I thought was nice. It's Lehigh Acres. You think crime in major cities is bad? This "town" suffers from dead bodies on the side of the road as you take your kid to the school bus, regular home invasions, the most grow houses (marijuana) in entire SWFL, nearly every store has been robbed in town, and the smallest police force known to man.

I lived there for a year. Once the lease was up I moved my wife and daughter out of there.

As a parent your job is to raise and protect your children. Your mother did that by getting one less loser criminal off the streets but she's putting her kids in jeopardy as well. Your family should move as soon as you can.

It's worth suffering through the hard time of a move over risking that one crazy drug addict invading your home next time. Trust me.

It's just me and her. I'm 23 and just living here for a while since I just graduated and saving up some money. Besides, this is a very small town, population 2k, not a big crime scene. Just this one store that keeps getting hit. Other than that, it's pretty quiet. But I decided not to take a chance and bought the gun.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Originally posted by: jonmcc33

I was in Florida for almost 15 years. Most of the state is a shit hole. The hispanics have turned south FL in to Columbia with gang land shootings becoming common place. Drugs, weapons and illegal immigrants are out of control there. The red necks and ghetto blacks have turned mid and north FL into Mississippi. The only nice area, frankly, is Central FL. Tampa is a hell hole, all the coastal cities look like 3rd world countries, crime is everywhere.