if you havent started Disco Elysium then you've failed at life.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Theres literally 200 ways to die.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
If I didn't really care for Planescape Torment (**gasp**), will I like this game?

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
no voice acting though right? I know this game is heavy dialogue but if I have to read it all...[shudders]

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
no voice acting though right? I know this game is heavy dialogue but if I have to read it all...[shudders]

There's voice over's for almost all the NPC's. HOWEVER..only the first few paragraph's of text include voice overs, after that it's just text. Some characters have tons and tons of text though, so there is a lot of reading still.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This game sounds great, but I just can't do the text thing anymore.

I only tried to play Planescape for the first time, maybe 3 or 4 years ago, and I couldn't do it. I just couldn't. A lot of those games of that era came out when I was on a long gaming-anything hiatus (school, drinking, debauchery of another sort, etc).

I did come back and play the Fallout games, though (already some years before I tried Planescape), and I dug the crap out of those. ...didn't really like FO3 but loved NV, though I shouldn't bring that up in this world.

Never played the Baldur Gates, but I did pick up NWN Platinum or something when it was available, and played through that, and probably some of the official modules, and dug it. ...and these are the types of games that I generally prefer, and I bemoan a lot of the samey modern RPG/Action/FPS stuff, while of course only playing those. It's all my fault. :D

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
This game is really good. It get's compared to Planescape torment a lot, but what it really is (to me), is one of those TellTale "Tales of Whatever" type games just taken to Planescape's torments level of amazing dialog, and unique story/world. There isn't really 200 ways to die. There is...but there's not. In fact it's almost impossible to fail, once you get the hang of the game. Low on health...maybe you don't try that physical based skill check and come back to it later.

Everything is done through dialog and skill checks. There is no combat like a typical rpg, you have no party to manage, but you do have some skills to level up, and some items to play with. You have very little money, so it's not like you are buying a lot of gear, or looking for that amazing legendary cop gun that does +10 damage on every shot. In fact you rarely ever use a gun...since you lost yours anyway. However clothing affects your skills, so you will be changing out clothes quite a bit based on what your trying to do, and be looking out for a piece of clothing to bolster a stat. Mostly you will be buying some drugs, healing items, and the occasional piece of clothing.

There was a thread on here awhile ago about restarting rpg's. This game is sort of the antithesis of that. Just go with it, and play how you want. Failing is almost as fun as succeeding in some cases. The game seems to work around it if you fail something really important. Either you will have to find another way, or miss out on some dialog, or at the worst, you might miss out on possibly a side quest, but it's not the end of the game or anything, from what I have seen.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I've played through quite a bit of it. I didn't even know it was possible to die. I haven't even come close, and that's with 2 health.

I can see the planetscape comparison. Kinda ambiguous moral choices. Gameplay is like the telltale stuff, but choices seem to matter a whole lot more. Telltale I never felt like what I did affected anything. It was just a nice story. This is more like planetscape without combat.

Its probably one of the stranger games I've played in awhile, but if you like the 'high concept' RPG type stuff you should check it out.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I'll have to check this game out. I hadn't heard of it before but am a big fan of Planescape Torment. A game of this type today should really be fully voiced though.