If you don't believe in life after death...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
S

SlitheryDee

Oh yes I wish. The alternative seems to be a terrible thing. I've spent my entire existence...existing. Death is probably the abrupt end to all that I know and feel, with nothing on the other side. I cannot embrace something that my gut tells me is the complete and utter end of consciousness. Nothing recognizable will be passed on, and I can't imagine existing in a state of nonexistence. It's unknown because in death the mechanisms that you use to "know" anything cease functioning.

The worst part is knowing that it WILL happen. Untold billions have faced it before me, so there is no reason to believe that I will escape it. In my own personal moment, whether it's due to old age, injury, or sickness, I'll be there when the lights finally go out. As the last synapse fires I will disappear from all of existence forever.

If this very concept doesn't scare the fvck out of you then I think you haven't thought about it enough.

Luthien

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2004
Originally posted by: SlitheryDee
Oh yes I wish. The alternative seems to be a terrible thing. I've spent my entire existence...existing. Death is probably the abrupt end to all that I know and feel, with nothing on the other side. I cannot embrace something that my gut tells me is the complete and utter end of consciousness. Nothing recognizable will be passed on, and I can't imagine existing in a state of nonexistence. It's unknown because in death the mechanisms that you use to "know" anything cease functioning.

The worst part is knowing that it WILL happen. Untold billions have faced it before me, so there is no reason to believe that I will escape it. In my own personal moment, whether it's due to old age, injury, or sickness, I'll be there when the lights finally go out. As the last synapse fires I will disappear from all of existence forever.

If this very concept doesn't scare the fvck out of you then I think you haven't thought about it enough.

Congradulations you just discovered how religions form although you don't realize it, lol. First people cannot deal with death so they imagine their is life after death to cope with it. A place where they will get to see everyone they loved again. Then their must be someone in charge of that place and how does that place exist and what does it look like and what are the rules for that place and should my enemies get to go their? lol

Edit: Wow, appropriate for my 1,666 post, :)

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
I don't believe in life after death. I hope there is no life after death. I do not wish for there to be life after death.

S

SlitheryDee

Originally posted by: SmoochyTX
I don't believe in life after death. I hope there is no life after death. I do not wish for there to be life after death.

I don't understand. I LOVE life. I think dying and finding out that I could continue on would be like winning the ultimate lottery. Why would you wish to not exist?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
i firmly believe in conciousness after death. i think heaven and hell is a good metaphor for the state you will be in. If you die a lost, confused soul, then your conciousness will remain in that state, but if you are free, understanding and at peace with yourself, then you will have heaven.

The movie "what dreams may come" comes to mind. We are born unconditioned minds and use this life as a means to develop it. It is used to develop our conciousness, imagination, free will, and ability to play in vivid dreams.

Once we die, we only take a certain element of our conciousness with us, but we go into a dream state where the physical is no more, but we can still realize things..

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: SmoochyTX

you must hate life? sounds like continuing your life would be hell...

find peace.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: edro
I do not believe in life after death, but I wish there was a heaven, especially the fictional Islam heaven with 72 virgins.

Well, you don't get to go there unless you blow yourself up in a room full of Jewish children or Westerners.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: gamepad
Originally posted by: Luthien
Your poll sucks it should be;

NO and Yes

not No I hope not and Yes I hope so

qft!

1st off how did this get resurrected.

2ndly, the question is:

Do you hope there is life after death?