If you are white do not apply for a job here

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
This concerns the school district where my wife teaches. Two months ago the district laid off 17 teachers due to budget cuts. These were 16 non-tenured and 1 tenured position. Back in April all of these non-tenured teachers were sent letters stating they were re-hired which is standard until the teacher gets tenured. During budget talks it was determined that to balance the budget 17 teachers would be cut. Letters were sent out to these teachers.

In the past two weeks 3 minority teachers were hired.

Story from newschannel5.com

Apparently the local NAACP got the national NAACP to do s study and release a report. 21% of the students are minorities where only 6% of the teachers are.

Didn't the supreme court just side with the firefighters who got higher test scores than their minority counterparts but were denied promotions?

Now the pressure is on the county to seemingly hire hispanic teachers. Whatever happended to hiring based on qualifications?

In this school district teachers must wait 3 years before getting tenure. It is my fear that no matter what these minority new hires do... they will not have to worry about not getting tenure. This procedure is used to filter out people who should really be teaching. You think with the NAACP watching the school board dare send out a letter saying the teaching won't be rehired for a second year?

My wife is a recent hire and we sure sweated this round of layoffs.. luckily she is 1/8th Cherokee ;) so maybe she would have been rehired anyway.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Your wife is twice as much indian as she needs to be, I think!

It is all rubbish, like cleaning crap off somebody by spraying fresh crap on them.

It grinds my gears.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
better get used to it, that's the way the country is heading under the new liberal leadership.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's the old "it's OK to do something wrong, as long as it's intended to correct some other perceived wrong" mentality. Folks like Craig are all for it. Thank goodness we still have a somewhat balanced supreme court, or this lunacy would go unchecked.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Double Trouble
It's the old "it's OK to do something wrong, as long as it's intended to correct some other perceived wrong" mentality. Folks like Craig are all for it. Thank goodness we still have a somewhat balanced supreme court, or this lunacy would go unchecked.

Balanced for now.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: rudder

Balanced for now.

I'm actually surprised to see this story is in Columbia. Which school is it in reference to? Or is it the entire district?

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
It's also the old "We need to enforce racial diversity, as long as _you_ are the one making the sacrifice" or something along those lines ;)

Ever notice the striking similarity amongst the entire "progressive" MSNBC line-up?

Fox News isn't much better, but I mean, does anyone have any expectation of Fox News being more diverse than MSNBC? Actually, I think just Geraldo Rivera alone makes Fox more diverse :p

BarrySotero

Banned
Apr 30, 2009
Lots of places still use 2 tiered "affirmative" action protocols - including Annapolis which has found itself in a scandal since one of the profs there said they are letting in kids that cant read but denying whites en masse.

Dumbing-down the U.S. Navy
Buchanan: Is the academy running a two-tiered admissions system?

What the Post gets around to is that 22-year English professor Bruce Fleming objects to a race-based admissions program that was apparently used to create a class that is 35 percent minority.

According to Fleming, who once sat on the board of admissions, white applicants must have all As and Bs and test scores of at least 600 on the English and math parts of the SAT even to qualify for a "slate" of 10 applicants, from which only one will be chosen.

However, if you check a box indicating you are African-American, Hispanic, Native American or Asian, writes Fleming, "SAT scores to the mid 500s with quite a few Cs in classes ... typically produces a vote of 'qualified' ... with direct admission to Annapolis. They're in and given a pro forma nomination to make it legit."

If true, the U.S. Naval Academy is running a two-tier admissions system of the kind that kept Jennifer Gratz out of the University of Michigan and was declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court.

If true, this is a national disgrace. It would represent a U.S. Naval Academy policy of systematic race discrimination, every year, against hundreds of white kids who worked and studied their entire lives for the honor of being appointed to the U.S. Naval Academy and becoming career officers in the Navy or Marine Corps.

If true, what Annapolis has done and is doing is worse ? because it is premeditated and programmed racism ? than the cowardly act of the New Haven city government in denying Frank Ricci and the white firefighters the promotions they had won in a competitive exam. At least New Haven could say it acted out of fear of being sued.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31799698

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Heh, at my old high school, we had a similar situation. Being in the South, we are closely monitored as far as issues of race go, especially when it comes to schools. The school board wanted to have an equitable mix of minority teachers that reflected the student population. Since our school was new, we started from a blank slate. The board approved a black/white ratio to staff the school based on the local population. The catch was, however, that the racial mix of my district was completely different from teh rest of the county. We had a large asian population (locally known as the 'boat people') due to the migration to Bayou La Batre after the Vietnam war . The county was inequipped to deal with this, and classified all asians as white. That worked out great. :/

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I just go back to my belief that you cannot eliminate racism through laws and regulations. Seriously, how do we improve ourselves by continuing to separate each other? I don't "get it". I will never "get it". That's is all. :p

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Skoorb

It is all rubbish, like cleaning crap off somebody by spraying fresh crap on them.

It grinds my gears.

OP: Haven't you been watching the So-toh-my-or hearings? Electing based on race is the new thing. Who cares about qualifications, politics is the next Hollywood and it's all just a game.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: soccerballtux

It grinds my gears.

OP: Haven't you been watching the So-toh-my-or hearings? Electing based on race is the new thing. Who cares about qualifications, politics is the next Hollywood and it's all just a game.

Strange that you would make this remark about a nominee who is widely (and bipartisanly) considered to be one the most qualified in Supreme Court history.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
Originally posted by: rudder

Balanced for now.

I'm actually surprised to see this story is in Columbia. Which school is it in reference to? Or is it the entire district?

The whole district.

sapiens74

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2004
Luckily they couldn't do that here in Hawaii

Most teachers are minorities and they don't have enough anyways

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Originally posted by: eskimospy

It grinds my gears.

Strange that you would make this remark about a nominee who is widely (and bipartisanly) considered to be one the most qualified in Supreme Court history.

The only reason some voted 'yes' was for fear of being labeled a racist by the left...but I guess it is ok for the left to smear a black man and the African American community looks the other way.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000

It grinds my gears.

Right, brown people shouldn't be on the Supreme Court, unless they completely toe the Republican line.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: sandorski
Are they Qualified?

Admittedly I do not have their college transcripts and such. But what bothers me is that these 3 people get hired after 17 teachers were laid off due to budget cuts. I am still trying to find out through the grapevine exactly where these applicants were pulled from.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Originally posted by: CitizenKain

It grinds my gears.

Right, brown people shouldn't be on the Supreme Court, unless they completely toe the Republican line.

How about they follow the Constitution?