if you are training a new guy at work

Dear Summer

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2008
and you guys go through powerpoint slides after slides together and quiz him about it at the end of each deck, would you expect him to know everything?
would you think the guy is an idiot if he can't remember some of the stuff you guys just went through? Because I need some time to review it later for it to sink in and commit to memory.

The material can get confusing and he's a young new hire from an unrelated industry and has no related experience.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Print out a packet of slides for notes and home review.

and let him/her know they aren't going to pick up everything at first and that they'll learn as they go along...

\information overload is the worst thing to a new hire...

Last edited:

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I'm going to assume whatever you're lecturing on is really boring and say, no.

chusteczka

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2006
The stress of being nervous in a new environment can make it difficult to learn the new material.

This has happened to me during the first few months at a new job. I sometimes get performance anxiety.

Dear Summer

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2008
I am the trainee. Do you think my manager/trainer will understand that?

I am concerned that I made myself look bad.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
if someone tried to train me via powerpoint, i'd be worried i took the wrong job

don't worry about it

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Trying to teach someone via Powerpoint slides is not the way to go. I blame your trainer. You learn by doing, and some jobs will take months of hands-on work before you start to feel comfortable.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

Suck it up then - take in what you can and be honest or somewhat honest... If you are unable to adapt - then asking for help isn't going to help you...

\best to you on the new job...

Last edited:

Nebbers

Jan 18, 2011
If questioned, I'd state that I should be given a good month or two to get into it all. If they can't wait that long, their loss. I've worked jobs in several completely unrelated fields and it usually takes me a bit to adapt but once that happens they're glad they gave it a while.

It's not your fault if the teaching methods being used are unsuitable for some types of people.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000

Are you making this assessment yourself, or is it based on something you supervisor said? Don't let self-doubt sabotage you.

I've seen plenty of powerpoint slides that I forgot. Frankly unless you have a photographic memory, there's only so much a person can absorb at once w/o a lot of repetition.

I was lucky when I started my new job. I have a great supervisor who understands that. Some of the people who came onboard at the same time I did were not as lucky.

Edit: And keep in mind, the person who instantly memorizes everything that's on the slides won't necessarily end up being the best employee in the long run. They may start off strong, but there's more to intelligence than memorization.

Last edited:

SamurAchzar

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2006
Learning is a recursive thing. You need to skim over the top level material first and understand the industry/application/operating environment etc. Then start diving in, gradually, one subject at a time.

It sounds like your reviewer is an idiot or frankly has no idea how to do this. Sounds like he challenges your memory more than your understanding. I'd throw you some material and references and sit with you for a friendly chat at the end of the day to see how much you UNDERSTAND as opposed to just remember.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
When I graduate the last thing I want is more tests and quizzes. F that.

I'm learning at my job as I go. I can't imagine my trainer going over PP slides and then quizzing me.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
if someone tried to train me via powerpoint, i'd be worried i took the wrong job

don't worry about it

I would be like this:

nothing-to-do-here-template.jpg

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
I'm new at work (started two weeks ago). I find that learning by doing is the superior method. I've already spent years of my life in school learning the theory. Now it's time to learn the skills, not even more theory.

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
It depends on what you sold yourself as. If you sold yourself as someone who is competent in the task, then I would expect you to pick it up quickly. Otherwise, I understand there will be a learning curve, but you shouldn't look at me blankly if we just discussed it a couple of slides ago.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
and you guys go through powerpoint slides after slides together and quiz him about it at the end of each deck, would you expect him to know everything?

Yes... on the first day on the job i would expect the new hire to know EVERYTHING covered in the powerpoint. If they do not.. it's obviously the trainers fault because the trainer didn't train properly.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
If I was training a new guy at work, I would know or have already developed the standards.

But hey, that's just me.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
It depends on what it is and how your trainer is. In my first day of work, my boss expected me to do my work error free. My mentor, at the time, said that would not be possible, but he still held me to that high standard anyways. That project did not end well :(

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
The first mistake is relying on PowerPoint.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Find out the appropriate training style for the new hire before you start the training. Everybody learns differently.