If you are thinking about buying a new imported vehicle, you might want to think fast

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Word has leaked about a Commerce Department report that gives Kim Jong Orange justification to impose tariffs of up to 25% on imported vehicles based on national security concerns.

Trump has not yet made a decision, but he has long complained that the U.S is exploited economically by its allies and has repeatedly told aides he wants to impose a “ring tax” around U.S. borders to protect the country from foreign imports. Trump also has a particular interest in foreign auto competition: In a 2017 interview with the German newspaper Bild, he complained that Manhattan’s Fifth Avenue was filled with Mercedes-Benzes, adding: “It’s not mutual. How many Chevrolets do you see in Germany?”

The report triggered a 90 day period for Err Furor to pretend that's he's thinking about it. If you're considering an import you might want to get your thinking done real quick!

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
So... Will this apply to all those GM, FCA and Ford vehicles built in Canada, China and Mexico? Or those German and Japanese cars built in Ohio or the southern States??

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
So... Will this apply to all those GM, FCA and Ford vehicles built in Canada, China and Mexico? Or those German and Japanese cars built in Ohio or the southern States??
Don't most American made cars have some degree of foreign parts?

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
“It’s not mutual. How many Chevrolets do you see in Germany?” Errr...maybe if Chevys were better built and had nicer interiors Germans would wanna buy them.

I'm sure he'll win this one too lol....so easy...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Why does Orange Julius drive a RR?

l1ksyehlhbgz.jpg

this was posted in the /r[etard] The Donald thread, by the way

lifebuzz-4c17627126f0ff121f1cb445cb8f5aff-limit_2000.jpg

Guys, I don't think we're going to find a strong history of the Cheetoh driving, owning, or having any kind of love for American cars. Call it a hunch.

Reactions: jman19

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
I used this argument with my cousin who was mad at me for buying a Mazda that was built in the US over an "American" brand.

Reactions: zinfamous

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I used this argument with my cousin who was mad at me for buying a Mazda that was built in the US over an "American" brand.
The Buick I'm looking at buying has an American engine and a Japanese transmission in a French designed car assembled in Germany. How would the tariff affect it? :p

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
It’s not mutual. How many Chevrolets do you see in Germany?” hmmm, maybe because for almost 90 years GM owned and operated Opel and sold their cars under that brand and others including Vauxhall? But hey, when has the idea of having a vague understanding of what you're spouting off about has ever stopped Trump from trying to show off his "best brains".

Reactions: mect

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Trump had been obsessed with seeing all the Mercedes Benzes and BMWs running around NYC for years and somehow came to the conclusion that Europe doesn't import US cars (which is not remotely true).

Rule by an addled old rich man who think's he's ultra brilliant is pretty amazing.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It’s not mutual. How many Chevrolets do you see in Germany?” hmmm, maybe because for almost 90 years GM owned and operated Opel and sold their cars under that brand and others including Vauxhall? But hey, when has the idea of having a vague understanding of what you're spouting off about has ever stopped Trump from trying to show off his "best brains".

Ford is also extremely popular in Europe, and has been for generations. I believe the Mondeo (UK version of the Focus sedan), has been the most popular vehicle in the UK for something like 5 or more years straight? I could be wrong about more recent years, but I know they held that crown for a while.

And particularly in the former eastern block countries, Ford remains a bit of an icon as a premium American product that was so rare but thoroughly desired, and a lot of the love remains to this day.

Again, Our president is a fucking retard.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
How does this affect those "European Delivery" options on cars where you fly over to Europe, pick up your car, drive it for a week or two and then they ship it over here as a way previously to cut down on taxes.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Completely forgot about Opel and Vauxhall (Saturn iirc)! And yeah Ford has some really good cars in Europe. Not sure what he's on about.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Completely forgot about Opel and Vauxhall (Saturn iirc)! And yeah Ford has some really good cars in Europe. Not sure what he's on about.

You shouldn't expect Trump to actually know what he's talking about before opening his mouth at this point.