Question If using an Intel CPU is there a preference between AMD or Nvidia?

Coyle

May 15, 2020
I've been looking at the RX570 but don't know a lot about GPUs but it seems a lot of the features are geared towards AMD, don't know if that means AMD games or CPU or maybe neither; otherwise would be Nvidia 1650 Super or similar.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
It does not matter which CPU you have when it comes to choosing a GPU. You can have Intel or AMD CPU with an nVidia or AMD GPU.

When looking at cards in that performance bracket, go for whatever offers the best price to performance ratio. Features and such are close enough to not be an issue. The only exception being if this is for an HTPC build, then I think nVidia has a slight decoder edge.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Older NVidia cards tended to do a bit better with Intel CPUs, but I think it was largely a result of highest single core clock speeds and the way some game engines were built in connection with NVidia drivers likely being optimized for Intel's CPUs.

It doesn't seem like it matters at all with modern GPUs or titles though, at least not that I've seen. Most games now scale beyond utilizing only one or two cores and several benefit from having eight, so fastest single thread performance isn't quite as valuable as it used to be.

If you have a particular game you really care about it might be worth investigating in more detail, but it's more likely that one type of card does better than another for reasons entirely outside of the CPU being used.

What CPU were you using?

Coyle

May 15, 2020
Older NVidia cards tended to do a bit better with Intel CPUs, but I think it was largely a result of highest single core clock speeds and the way some game engines were built in connection with NVidia drivers likely being optimized for Intel's CPUs.

It doesn't seem like it matters at all with modern GPUs or titles though, at least not that I've seen. Most games now scale beyond utilizing only one or two cores and several benefit from having eight, so fastest single thread performance isn't quite as valuable as it used to be.

If you have a particular game you really care about it might be worth investigating in more detail, but it's more likely that one type of card does better than another for reasons entirely outside of the CPU being used.

What CPU were you using?
I3-10100

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Nope. The Radeon Technologies Group actually tests its graphics drivers on systems with Intel CPUs. There is no particular performance legally from using AMD graphics cards on Intel CPUs, or on using Nvidia graphics on AMD CPUs.

Reactions: Coyle