If Trump wins, how long until the Republicans impeach him?

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Seriously. The only reason they are backing that clown is because they want to control the Supreme Court. Get him installed, wait 6-12 months, impeach him, put Pence in charge.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Seriously. The only reason they are backing that clown is because they want to control the Supreme Court. Get him installed, wait 6-12 months, impeach him, put Pence in charge.

Fear not, my child. Trump won't win. Fear much, my child. Hillary will win. In the event of either candidate, make sure all your assets are liquid...no, make sure you have cash. Be able to afford to run like hell.

MrA79

Aug 11, 2012
Well, I suppose they'd have to wait until he committed a high crime\misdemeanor. But he's not even going to outscore Mondale at this rate, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Probably equally as long as Republicans began impeachment proceedings against Obama.

Having random thoughts pop into one's head is no basis for politics nor news.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
It requires a supermajority to convict if impeached, would Democrats really go along with that plan? Personally I don't think Democrats believe even 10% of the things they're saying about Trump to attempt to prevent his election (e.g. going to start nuclear war, puppet of Russia, etc). IMHO they would simply hold their nose, try to filibuster as many of his bad ideas that they could, and look at him as easy pickings to defeat in 2020. The U.S. isn't a Westminster system where you can simply have a no-confidence vote at any time and it's no big deal instead of something that would create a constitutional crisis for bending the rules regarding how/why you can impeach a President.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Remember that both impeachments in US history failed (admittedly both were BS cases politically motivated). Impeachment is a slow, imperfect remedy with essentially no standards-don't rely on it as any sort of restraint on a Trump reign.

glenn1-I for one, believe everything I say about a Trump presidency. I'd consider it a positive for the country if we came out the other end of his four year term with the Constitution intact and without the world in much, much worse shape than it is now. I view Russian imperialist expansionism into Eastern Europe as a bare minimum under Trump, and the Mideast in more flames than it is now, and the USA likely dethroned as the dominant world power-and that's the positive end of the probable outcomes. The guy is a narcissistic con arrest not capable of performing the job-regardless of what you think of his stated policies, such as they are.

MrA79

Aug 11, 2012
It requires a supermajority to convict if impeached, would Democrats really go along with that plan? Personally I don't think Democrats believe even 10% of the things they're saying about Trump to attempt to prevent his election (e.g. going to start nuclear war, puppet of Russia, etc). IMHO they would simply hold their nose, try to filibuster as many of his bad ideas that they could, and look at him as easy pickings to defeat in 2020. The U.S. isn't a Westminster system where you can simply have a no-confidence vote at any time and it's no big deal instead of something that would create a constitutional crisis for bending the rules regarding how/why you can impeach a President.

They're smart enough not to get onboard with an impeachment - why remove a president that's basically doing their job (swinging things to their side) for them?

Feb 4, 2009

More or less this. I'd hope that our elected officials would wait for something truly worth it and not use the power to "shop" for a President they like.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Fear not, my child. Trump won't win. Fear much, my child. Hillary will win. In the event of either candidate, make sure all your assets are liquid...no, make sure you have cash. Be able to afford to run like hell.

You have to be kidding. Clinton years would be boring and uneventful, just like I want our government to be run. If a Hillary presidency is like an Obama presidency, like republicans claim, then my investments will do just fine.

MrA79

Aug 11, 2012
You have to be kidding. Clinton years would be boring and uneventful, just like I want our government to be run. If a Hillary presidency is like an Obama presidency, like republicans claim, then my investments will do just fine.

Maybe. I fully expect Bill to be out of the picture if she gets elected, though - that might make things a bit more interesting.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Well, I suppose they'd have to wait until he committed a high crime\misdemeanor. But he's not even going to outscore Mondale at this rate, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Think it would take long for Trump to qualify? How about ordering troops to commit warcrimes?

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I doubt they would impeach him because you need to do something bad to be impeached. Trump will have a hard time being too crazy with executive orders because I don't think the Republican congress would look the other way like they do with obama.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I doubt they would impeach him because you need to do something bad to be impeached. Trump will have a hard time being too crazy with executive orders because I don't think the Republican congress would look the other way like they do with obama.
Can you rewrite this in such a way that it's coherent? I read it 3 times and can't make sense out of it.

You don't need to do anything wrong to be impeached. You are simply impeached. That doesn't mean you are put out of office, though. Clinton was impeached, but never ousted from office.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Are you running for nincompoop of the year? You have a head start.

Feb 4, 2009
Can you rewrite this in such a way that it's coherent? I read it 3 times and can't make sense out of it.

You don't need to do anything wrong to be impeached. You are simply impeached. That doesn't mean you are put out of office, though. Clinton was impeached, but never ousted from office.

While he was impeached the Senate released the case so in a way he really wasn't impeached.
I know this sounds weird, its a Government thing.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
While he was impeached the Senate released the case so in a way he really wasn't impeached.
I know this sounds weird, its a Government thing.

Wrong, Clinton was impeached and went through a full trial in front of the Senate. By Senate vote he wasn't convicted and removed from office. Think of it as a Not Guilty verdict in a criminal trial.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006

Are you kidding me? They not only will not tell the Emperor he has no clothes, they will spend $Billions$ building factories that manufacture them.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Impeach? Why they'd fund a new first lady of the Whitehouse calendar with 12 exciting pictures of the hottest first lady in the party.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
Impeach? More likely assassination by a loopy progressive. Probably with poison rather than from the grassy gnoll... 'cuz guns are baaad. ;)