If only this were John instead of Meghan McCain...

Status
Not open for further replies.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...p-leave-party_n_2145833.html?utm_hp_ref=media

Meghan McCain: If GOP Doesn't Change, I May Become An Independent

Meghan McCain wrote on Friday that she may consider leaving the Republican Party if it doesn't change some of its political stances.

McCain, who is an MSNBC contributor, has called herself a "proud moderate" who gets treated like a "freak" in her own party, and she's famously done battle with conservative pundits like Laura Ingraham.

Writing for the Daily Beast, McCain said that Mitt Romney's loss was "the first time that I considered that the Republican Party, which I love so much, might die."

She said the party needed to tone down its focus on social issues and concentrate on the economy. Then, she said if it failed to do so, she might leave.

"If we don't move forward, adapt, and become relevant again, the Republican Party isn't going to survive," she wrote. "It will just continue to alienate more moderate voters like myself. If I don't see some changes in the next four years, I'm going to consider registering as an Independent in 2016."

Damn. If John McCain had said that imagine the good it would do.
I don't get it about these old Senators who just want to hang around at any cost until they die. I would think at McCains age he should just come out and save the Republican Party and just ride off the national stage a hero. I think there are Republicans out there who are dying for someone to lead away from the radicals.

I really don't get the compulsion to die in office.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Anyone else remember when John McCain was considered a moderate and reasonable voice in the Republican party? I had assumed he pretended to lean more to the right to get the nomination for 2008...but if anything he's become even MORE conservative (in the bad sense of the word) since then. For example, is participation in this Benghazi manufactured scandal BS is just embarrassing, and incredibly surprising to me coming from him (although maybe it shouldn't be).

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Anyone else remember when John McCain was considered a moderate and reasonable voice in the Republican party? I had assumed he pretended to lean more to the right to get the nomination for 2008...but if anything he's become even MORE conservative (in the bad sense of the word) since then. For example, is participation in this Benghazi manufactured scandal BS is just embarrassing, and incredibly surprising to me coming from him (although maybe it shouldn't be).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I ask Rainsford where he ever bought or believed the notion that John McCain was a moderate?? When McCain was always a rather far right conservative. As the same John McCain nearly had his political career ended when he got caught, along with other GOP and Democratic using their influence to end Federal investigations of the corrupt banker named Charlie Keating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_Five

As McCain was the only one of the bunch to survive. But still McCain offered himself up as a GOP candidate for for the GOP nomination for Prez in 2000 and ended up the victim of Karl Rove who falsely claimed he fathered a black child.

But when GWB then invaded Iraq, McCain remained largely silent, but when GWB started mis treating Iraqis prisoners, John McCain, himself a victim and a prisoner of war in North Vietnam, did have the integrity to speak out on the stupidity of the practice when almost no one else, democrats or republicans had the courage to speak out. But that lone act, IMHO did not elevate John McCain to even remotely resemble a moderate or a Liberal.

But come 2008, after GWB totally laid an egg, John McCain once again decided to run for the GOP nomination for President. Against a group packed with totally nutty religious right types who split that limited among themselves. And soon the field was down to three in Romney with deep pockets, Huckabee with genuine religious credentials with some pragmatic liberal credentials, and McCain, as the anti-GWB candidate.

As the conservative commentators, with growing horror, starting attacking McCain as being a radical liberal when McCain always was a hard core conservative.

But end the end John McCain doomed himself when when he denied the US economic meltdown as nonsense. And Sara Palin didn't help any.

But still Rainsford, at least John McCain is back to his old GOP conservative credentials. And when McConnell asks him to toe the GOP party line, John McCain does so.

So in that sense I agree that we should question why anyone ever would think McCain was or is anything but a conservative.

Last edited:

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

Pretty much ever since 2008, he's gone nuts. He really doesn't handle defeat well.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I also wonder how long McCain will remain a media darling. And keep being called back to be a talking head on various Sunday talk shows.

Maybe Newt Gingrich holds the current record, but given Newt's flop in the 2012 elections maybe its starting to occur to most of us that Newt's opinion is worthless. As for Joe Lieberman opinions they jumped the shark in 2006. As Joe will be out of office in 2013 as a politician with no credibility in any party. As for McCain, how much media cred does he retain?

Feb 4, 2009
John McCain is a pimp. Model 1st wife who was pretty attractive (in her time) to his current wife who is age appropriate hot to his VP choice who is definitely a milf
I salute him.

Oct 16, 1999
Yeah, giving more tax breaks to millionaires, dropping policies that help the middle class, and cutting programs to help the poor is a surefire way for the GOP to grow strong again. So by all means concentrate on the economy.

None of these folks seem willing to face up to the fact that the problem with their "conservative social" policies isn't necessarily the "social" part and any moderation and compromise turns you into what's now effectively a Democrat.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The Repubs who run for office are absolutely terrified of the Tea Party and Rush Limbaugh. The last two elections proved that beyond doubt. Between these two entities, the Repub Party has nowhere else to go but further and further right until they are nowhere in sight. Finito, kaput, muerte.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I also wonder how long McCain will remain a media darling. And keep being called back to be a talking head on various Sunday talk shows.

Maybe Newt Gingrich holds the current record, but given Newt's flop in the 2012 elections maybe its starting to occur to most of us that Newt's opinion is worthless. As for Joe Lieberman opinions they jumped the shark in 2006. As Joe will be out of office in 2013 as a politician with no credibility in any party. As for McCain, how much media cred does he retain?

Yes, McCain is being torn a new *sshole over how he is handling the Benghazi affair. Any remaining "maverick" or "bipartisan" goodwill he earned or supporters he gained is almost gone.

In fact, McCain has lost almost all his political influence except for those who still listen to him on foreign affairs. This Bengazhi thing, regardless of how it plays out, is being seen by Democrats and Independents as a the same partisanship the Republicans have been doing for years.

McCain is fast approaching joke status.

Status
Not open for further replies.