If Newegg/Amazon/etc accidentally sent you something you didn't order, WWYD?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
The law says what it says. It should not be and is not up to the consumer to take corrective action. There are too many scenarios that could make it impossible or extremely inconvenient for the consumer to take corrective action. The reason they suggest writing a certified letter is to make a clear and permanent record showing that you received something you didn't order in case they try to claim otherwise. Notice how they don't say that there is a specific required amount of time to give them.

Note that no one seems to be saying that this is what you SHOULD do. I would attempt to return it. I am just noting that under the law you do not have to do anything.

They problem is the law you are trying to apply in this case does not apply. You are confusing unsolicited items with honest shipping errors.

While you may feel your are right in theory, the reality of this is you'd be required to return the item at no cost to yourself. If some company you have no current business with just sent you a CPU, it's a different situation.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
They problem is the law you are trying to apply in this case does not apply. You are confusing unsolicited items with honest shipping errors.

While you may feel your are right in theory, the reality of this is you'd be required to return the item at no cost to yourself. If some company you have no current business with just sent you a CPU, it's a different situation.

Please provide evidence. I have already provided a link from the FTC which very clearly states if you did order something but received the wrong item, you can treat it as unsolicited items shipped to you.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
I don't have anything. I'm just asking a what if question.

I was saying "you" in general terms, not you specifically.

Corporation like Newegg, Amazon,etc? Keep it without question.
Individual or small business? Return it.

That shouldn't matter. Business or individual doesn't make a difference whether it is right or wrong.

Oh, and I see that alky is trolling and pretending he knows everything again. Fancy that.