If McCain were to become president

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
As it stands, McCain's age is a concern to quite a few people in terms of his ability to be an effective president. However, as he has a fair number of supporters, it is quite possible that most of us who question his old age could be making an incorrect assessment, so he may very well be effective in his first term. That said, if McCain were to become president, he would be 76 when his first-term ends. Whats the likelihood that he stays on for a second term?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
IMHO, if McCain wins this November 4, he is very likely to be the next Hubert Hoover. Simply because GWB has dug us a very deep hole and its going to decades of austerity and some bold new leadership to dig ourselves out. To a large extent, both Hoover and McCain were capable men able to flower in the good times, but both had or have zero capacity to embrace bold new ideas or depart from the old ways. And unless McCain would have a successful first term, he can forget a second term. And both Hover and McCain have a propensity to mistake a momentary flash in the pan for a light at the end of the tunnel.

Its the amazing thing about Obama, he has his plans well past the sketch phase, they are adaptable to changing conditions, and he thinks it terms of consensus and how to present his ideas. He continues to grow as he campaigns,
while winning more and more people over as time goes on.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Yes, because Palin will easily win the Republican nomination in 2012

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Originally posted by: techs

Also, people will hate the way McCain is running the war in cuba.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

And, Jeb Bush will be her running mate/VP. They'll serve 2 terms.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contrary to the techs perspective, I think Palin is now damaged goods, and will go the way of the Dodo, Spiro Agnew, and Dan Quayle. Monday she flies back to Alaska to give sworn oath testimony on a separate troopergate probe.

Maybe she can find a position where she gradually shed her dumb bimbo image, Senator of Congresswoman possible career paths, but her record does match her rhetoric and her rhetoric stinks. At this point in time, its pretty well proved, the Palin is more a liability than an asset. Palin may be very popular among those that will vote GOP anyway, but that fails to advance the GOP one single inch.

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
If McCain does win this election, my gut feeling is that there is only about a 5% chance of him getting a 2nd term based on a few reasons:
1) Age/Health.......How is he going to be holding up in 4 years from now. It is already a fairly shaky point for him
2) The aforementioned hole we've dug.......Public perception will be that he didn't do enough no matter what actually happens (no one man can right the ship now in only 4 years)
3) General "unelectability".....This is what I call the Michael Dukakis effect. McCain just has enough flaws to outweigh his pros as a president. McCain may be a war hero and by many accounts a very good guy, but that doesn't make him a great president.

Just my opinion, feel free to poke holes in it.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Lacks the constitution to be a two term. Nobody is going to have an 80 year old finishing up his term in office, that's fantasy. The odds of McCain living to 80 are not great given his medical history.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Looking at the polling data this topic seems a very unlikely possibility. McCain will go back to the senate for another term and possibly retire. I can only hope Sarah Palin goes into obscurity.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor
Looking at the polling data this topic seems a very unlikely possibility. McCain will go back to the senate for another term and possibly retire. I can only hope Sarah Palin goes into obscurity.

And what about Joe "Plugs" Biden? Shouldn't he also retire at the end of his term? He serves no value to the senate - and embarrases himself each time he opens his mouth.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: T2T III
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor

And what about Joe "Plugs" Biden? Shouldn't he also retire at the end of his term? He serves no value to the senate - and embarrases himself each time he opens his mouth.

Just because you do not agree with what he says it doesn't mean that a lot of other people feel the same way you do and it most certainly does not mean that what he said was some kind of embarrassment. Sure, the man has said a thing or two which probably would have been best if not said for his sake but the same goes for all politicians and it goes 10 times that for Sarah Palin.

mooseracing

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
Originally posted by: nismotigerwvu
McCain may be a war hero and by many accounts a very good guy, but that doesn't make him a great president.

Just because Obama can sell dog shit for the price of gold (referring to his talking ability) doesn't make him a good president either.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
I think whoever wins this election will be a one term president no matter what.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
I think he would be one term.
Maybe a good thing then he can govern instead of worrying about relection.

Hugh H

Jul 11, 2008
This is a non-issue, McCain already stated that he would only seek one term in office. Not that it matters anyways, since chances are he is not going to win.

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
Originally posted by: mooseracing
Originally posted by: nismotigerwvu
McCain may be a war hero and by many accounts a very good guy, but that doesn't make him a great president.

Just because Obama can sell dog shit for the price of gold (referring to his talking ability) doesn't make him a good president either.

I think you took me out of context here. I was not endorsing Obama, I was just speaking my opinion on McCain. Honestly, I see Nader as most fit to lead personally but that is just a pipe dream.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Originally posted by: Hugh H
This is a non-issue, McCain already stated that he would only seek one term in office. Not that it matters anyways, since chances are he is not going to win.

It is a non-issue for this election, just looking into the future.

That's quite true, there's no way McCain could beat Palin in the primaries.

Originally posted by: Lemon law
IMHO, if McCain wins this November 4, he is very likely to be the next Hubert Hoover. Simply because GWB has dug us a very deep hole and its going to decades of austerity and some bold new leadership to dig ourselves out.

Is obama going to run the risk of being a one-term president because of the difficulties the next president faces right now?

Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: Barack Obama
Topic Title: If McCain were to become president
Topic Summary: would he be a one-term president?

Why would you day that? People vote for party.

Hypothetical Q.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
If McCain wins the election, the Republican party will implode completely. I don't think the US will become a 1-party state with the Democrats, just that there will have to be some new party to take the Republicans' place, maybe the Modern Whig party.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Hugh H

It is a non-issue for this election, just looking into the future.

That's quite true, there's no way McCain could beat Palin in the primaries.

Originally posted by: Lemon law
IMHO, if McCain wins this November 4, he is very likely to be the next Hubert Hoover. Simply because GWB has dug us a very deep hole and its going to decades of austerity and some bold new leadership to dig ourselves out.

Is obama going to run the risk of being a one-term president because of the difficulties the next president faces right now?

Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Topic Title: If McCain were to become president
Topic Summary: would he be a one-term president?

Why would you day that? People vote for party.

Hypothetical Q.

I sincerely doubt Palin will win the Republican primary 4 years from now. She will be widely viewed after the election as having cost McCain a chance to win due to her being an idiot. I'm sure she will run for President in 2012, but she will not win the primary and if she does win the primary she will get demolished in the general election. The Republicans know this, they won't run her if they think they have a chance to win.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
After this election, I think Palin should be more concerned about winning re-election as Alaska governor in 2010 than any aspirations she might have for the Presidency in 2012.