If John Boehner Made Deal Paul Ryan Did, Conservatives Would’ve Called For His Head

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
When Paul Ryan was handed the speaker’s gavel in late October, he pledged to restore normal order to the People’s House and eliminate the sort of backroom deals that rank-and-file members complain are shoved down their throats at the 11th hour. So, late Tuesday night, Ryan unveiled a few thousand pages of consequential tax, spending, and regulatory legislation costing roughly $2 trillion and gave Congress and the public two whole days to review everything.

To be fair to Ryan, the buzzer-beating legislating has more to do with the workload and deadlines John Boehner left him than anything he did wrong. The agreement Ryan reached with fellow congressional negotiators also looks much like one Boehner would have reached: Each side scores some points, but Republican congressional majorities again will fail to deliver a high-profile, base-pumping, ideological victory over some nefarious aspect of the “Obama agenda” on which conservatives had drawn a red line. Will this land Ryan in the same hot water that eventually cooked Boehner? He’ll get a pass, for now.

The two towering paper stacks are the 2016 omnibus appropriations package, which funds the government through next September, and a “tax-extenders” bill that, well, extends (and in many cases makes permanent) a bunch of tax breaks that were set to expire. Though they will be voted on separately, they were negotiated together. The omnibus is more favorable to Democrats, and the tax extenders are more favorable to Republicans.

Considered as a whole, an overriding theme is that everyone gets a lot of money but neither side hammers home that big-ticket ideological victory. In other words, it’s a compromise, something Democrats usually accept as part of the process while Republicans scream bloody murder.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...eal_is_just_like_john_boehner_s_old_ones.html

Feb 4, 2009
This is how our Government is supposed to work, everyone gets something but not everything. I'm no too crazy about the oil export ban being lifted at this time but that is exactly how we come to agreements. Others will hate how it adds to the deficit.
Hopefully this is the beginning of getting stuff done again.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Aww, man- I was so looking forward to Repubs shutting down the govt over stupid shit at least a couple of times before the election. I'm sure the Freedom Caucus is still trying because it would sell well in their ultra safe gerrymandered districts. The rest of them are apparently too smart to let that happen.

It's interesting that while Boehner couldn't talk any sense into them that his resignation forced them to re-evaluate & apparently re-formulate during the fiasco of naming his successor.

Imagine the disarray in the Repub HOR should Trump become the nominee. Hell- the Donald might single-handedly tear down Repub majorities in Congress.

Trumpism is great. America's far right fringe gets to let it all hang out obliviously & the rest of us get to see what they're made of.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Not being content with how they feel, the left continues to command the right how they should feel.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
This is how our Government is supposed to work, everyone gets something but not everything. I'm no too crazy about the oil export ban being lifted at this time but that is exactly how we come to agreements. Others will hate how it adds to the deficit.
Hopefully this is the beginning of getting stuff done again.
This, exactly. Including lifting the export ban, which for a net oil importing nation seems to me to be nothing to brag about.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This, exactly. Including lifting the export ban, which for a net oil importing nation seems to me to be nothing to brag about.

I agree. While I also think that Boehner would have been pilloried as a capitulator for a similar deal I'm very happy that Ryan is not because frankly I hope we're all tired of that sort of nonsense.

Whatever reasons let Ryan make this sort of deal I hope continue because it's a very welcome improvement.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Well well....congress actually decided to govern.

In my mind, it's more like the Tea Party finally got shoved into a corner of the room, got bound and gagged and an agreement was made before the meatheads could get loose again.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

I'm somewhat mollified buy the extension of the renewable energy tax credits. Wind kind of got short changed but solar got extended in declining steps through 2024.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
In my mind, it's more like the Tea Party finally got shoved into a corner of the room, got bound and gagged and an agreement was made before the meatheads could get loose again.

I think to some extent Ryan has created a perception of a more open process without actually delivering it or doing it in a way that inevitably gets him to this kind of compromise. I'm not sure that will keep the radicals at bay forever.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
AKA, give the Dems what they want.

This kind of rhetoric is childish and pointless. The Rs wanted some stuff and the Ds wanted some stuff...they met in a middle acceptable enough to pass legislation without any poison pills. This is how government should work.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
AKA, give the Dems what they want.

Attitudes like this are part of the problem. You have to be okay with not getting 100% of what you want in a democracy. Boehner continually had a problem with people on his right flank who thought like you do, that any compromise was a defeat. It's not, because governance isn't zero sum.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Reading the responses from our resident far righties in here really does make me wonder if they need a youtube video each morning to teach them how to put on pants.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Attitudes like this are part of the problem. You have to be okay with not getting 100% of what you want in a democracy. Boehner continually had a problem with people on his right flank who thought like you do, that any compromise was a defeat. It's not, because governance isn't zero sum.

IMO, much of that attitude is directly linked to the day the Repub leadership declared that their #1 mission was to limit Obama to one term in office and the debilitating onerous tactics they employed to make that happen.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Ryan supported the Pelosi/Obama agenda. He has betrayed the conservative populace who demanded change in 2014. RINO Ryan is what we got.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
If John Boehner Made Deal Paul Ryan Did, Conservatives Would’ve Called For His Head

SESSIONS: THIS is why voters in 'open rebellion'...
I for one am with Sessions and stand opposed to Ryan.

And just think, Ryan was the "Conservative" VP for Mitt Romney. If Ryan gives the Democrats everything they want, what would Romney have done? Don't need to ask, Obama copied Romney for the ACA. Republican and Democrat leaders, the establishment, are the same.

They are the same and if you want change in Washington you need to destroy the GOP and form a new opposition party.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
libs unhappy no matter what right does,

shouldnt the left be cheering on rino ryan?
Seems to me that the left is cheering, glad to see our democracy starting to work again. It's dysfunctional, radical Teahadists who are sobbing about Ryan being a RINO.

These things are somehow significant in their tiny brains...no matter how trivial or nonsensical the point.
I miss the days when you still had the integrity to call out twits like Michal for his uselessness. Given the last seven years, it is quite significant that Congress has finally adopted an appropriations bill without months of destructive drama. It offers hope that America may finally be recovering from the obstructionist era. Time will tell, but at least it's a first step.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008

It'll possibly cut domestic supplies and raise gas prices... perhaps just in time to affect the 2016 elections </tinfoil hat>

I'm more concerned about the possibility of banning the SEC (or perhaps it's another gov't regulatory body) from requiring publicly traded companies from disclosing which candidates or public office holders they donate money to. Pretty it would have a similar effect of putting corporate logos on politicians' suits so we knew who owned them

The above could have been done a long time ago but wasn't.... it's a pity because more information and transparency is better than less.

It's funny how with each spending bill passed we get more restrictions on things that could let voters be more informed. Of course, we can also wonder at the SEC's lack of action on something they should have done before this bill included that section.

*e2a*
found a link relevant to my point.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/deal-re...fcorporate-political-contributions-1450268159

A major spending plan unveiled by congressional lawmakers late Tuesday restricts the Securities and Exchange Commission from forcing public companies to disclose their political activities.

The provision, tacked on to a $1.15 trillion spending bill for fiscal year 2016, is a blow to liberal groups and many congressional Democrats who have long pushed&#8212;unsuccessfully&#8212;for the SEC to advance such rules. It is one of the few Republican-backed measures, known as &#8220;riders,&#8221; included in the legislation. The legislation needs Democratic votes to clear Congress.

Republicans say such requirements are misguided because companies&#8217; political contributions generally don&#8217;t affect their financial performances.

It's a convenient excuse... because you don't have to be wildly cynical to realize that political spending can yield significant return on investment that affects a company's bottom line.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
libs unhappy no matter what right does,

shouldnt the left be cheering on rino ryan?

as usual, you have no comprehension whatsoever about the actual comment.

In a statement of: "why do these republicans suddenly do something this conservative wants, as opposed to rejecting the exact same thing that the previous conservative wanted to do?" you choose to interpret it as "liberals unhappy no matter what!"

This is funny, because if anything, the liberals are actually happier that some republicans are now trying to do their jobs for the first time in 4 years.

You don't understand even this simple concept, because you are a fucking moron.

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005
Conservatives are hypocrites, not surprising.

Looking forward to 2016, when the GOP losers get destroyed in the polls, and then come crying to this forum.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
SESSIONS: THIS is why voters in 'open rebellion'...
I for one am with Sessions and stand opposed to Ryan.

And just think, Ryan was the "Conservative" VP for Mitt Romney. If Ryan gives the Democrats everything they want, what would Romney have done? Don't need to ask, Obama copied Romney for the ACA. Republican and Democrat leaders, the establishment, are the same.

They are the same and if you want change in Washington you need to destroy the GOP and form a new opposition party.

Where did you get the idea that Ryan gave democrats everything they want? Be specific.

The GOP is the most conservative major national party in the developed world by a wide margin. The idea that their policy stances are still so unacceptably liberal to the conservative base in America is frankly disturbing. How nuts have people gone?

Nov 30, 2006
Given the last seven years, it is quite significant that Congress has finally adopted an appropriations bill without months of destructive drama. It offers hope that America may finally be recovering from the obstructionist era. Time will tell, but at least it's a first step.
I agree that it's a positive step. My comment was directed towards the OP, and the negative way in which he framed this.