If I put some vents (neatly) on a closet door, will my apartment complex bill me when I leave?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but if I ask they are sure to say "you can't do that!"

I'm gonna put my server in my bedroom closet. I cannot sleep w/a computer humming away in the same room I'm sleeping in. I've tried hundreds of times...don't work.

My bedroom closet has about a 2-inch gap at the bottom of the door, but otherwise is un-vented.

I want to buy some of those white, mesh "eave vents" that are rectangular, about 4 x 10 inches and put one at the top and one at the bottom.

I'd have to cut about a 3 x 9 hole in the door (twice) to do this. It will look neat and professional when I'm done...but do you think they'll bill me for the door when I leave? My apartment is neat and well-kept and the manager has even complemented me on my housekeeping skills from the few times she's been in my apt.

Opinions?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Why don't you go buy a cheap door, & put that in temporarily.

Modify it to your heart's content, then switch it back when you leave.

Viper GTS

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

Viper GTS

Brilliant Holmes, brilliant!

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001

Wow, that's a really good idea.
Yeah, do what he says.

cavingjan

Golden Member
Nov 15, 1999
ViperGTS <---- The kid's got a point.

Could you locate the server in another room? Or try to quiet it? (kill some fans)

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
I'm guessing they may not even notice if you do a tidy enough job. It's not like you're (god forbid) painting a day-glo nude self portrait on one of the walls or anything....;)

Just make sure the vent is painted the same color as the door and you should be in good shape.

Fausto

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001

Viper GTS

Hmm, that's a great idea. One problem. I have no place to put the original door. I have 3 bedrooms worth of stuff in my one-bedroom apt. Why do you think the server is going in the closet and not in another room...like the basement. Oh, I don't have a basement. I'd put it in my dining room, but there's no room there either. :(

me\<--needs a bigger apartment...but (see quote below)

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
I would go ahead and do it, and don't even mention it now, or when you move out. Be sure to put grills on both sides of the door (total of 4) so it looks nice from both sides. If it looks shoddy they might complain, but if it looks good, they probably won't care, since they don't like to zing good tenants.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
It's not like you're (god forbid) painting a day-glo nude self portrait on one of the walls or anything....

Oh_my_God. Can I use Day-glo Orange for my, um, you know? :D

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
have you tried running the machine in the room w/o the vents? it'll probably be fine. Don't go cutting things up for airflow until you're sure you actually need the airflow. I've seen plenty of people cut holes in there cases, stick 25 fans in thier PC, and have it run 5-10 degres cooler, and you know what? The was no performance benefit at all.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
Like Fausto said, they probably won't even notice it when you move out if it's done nicely.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Be sure to put grills on both sides of the door (total of 4) so it looks nice from both sides

I did not think of that. Great idea. *note to self...get four grills* Thanks. :)

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Remove the door handle, & put the door flush against the wall (laying on it's side) behind everything in your closet.

Just don't lose the handle & associated hardware.

Viper GTS

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
just put some holes in the wall next to the door. They will be so distracted by the holes that they will ignore your excellent venting job.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: MichaelD
It's not like you're (god forbid) painting a day-glo nude self portrait on one of the walls or anything....

Oh_my_God. Can I use Day-glo Orange for my, um, you know? :D

Hehe.

[Beavis]Boioioioioiooioinnnnnnnngggggg!!!!!![/Beavis]

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
wow viper is just full of helpful ideas today.. but i'm with notfred... you prob dont need the vents

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: XZeroII
just put some holes in the wall next to the door. They will be so distracted by the holes that they will ignore your excellent venting job.

Ahahahah! Good one!

ViperGTS,
If you could see my bedroom closet, you'd have a fit. It's half clothes, half storage unit. Seriously, it's a good idea to put the door on it's side...but there's no room for it. I am a pack rat. I need to throw some of that crap away. Thanks for the suggestion, though. :)

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Michael-

I wouldn't be so sure about the apt complex being forgiving. Everywhere that I have lived just LOVES to screw people over at move-out time. They'll charge you for any little thing wrong with the place that wasn't there when you moved in. They are in their legal right to make you buy a new door when you move out, and charge for labor too. When my ex moved out of her place, one of her lightbulbs was burned out. They charged her $5 for it. Not a lot of money mind you, but for a freaking lightbulb?

Anyway, to extend Viper's idea, why don't you try and rent a storage unit close to your apartment (if there is one)? Maybe something small like a 5'x10' where you could store your extra junk you don't want to throw away but never use. You could store the current door there. I don't know where you live, but around here something like that would go for $20 or $30 a month.

If you plan on going ahead with your mod, ask the management first. If you don't, I'm almost positive they will make you pay for the new door.

Ryan

zimmie6576

Apr 7, 2002
If anything, it would come out of your security deposit. If the cost to replace the door is more than your deposit (I highly doubt it), then they would charge you. So unless the door is really expensive, you probably won't have to pay anything out of your own pocket, if they charge you at all.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Store the old door under the bed (not a waterbed, right?). And if you say there is "no room", I don't believe you . . . doors are only about 1-1/2 inches thick (with the hardware removed).

If you modify anything without permission, you will probably get charged . . . don't say you weren't warned . . . :)

Viper GTS has the best ideas. If it was me, I'd ask the management . . . after they told me "no", I buy the cheap door and find "someplace" to store the other one. Anything else is just begging for trouble.

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
I wouldn't be so sure about the apt complex being forgiving. Everywhere that I have lived just LOVES to screw people over at move-out time. They'll charge you for any little thing wrong with the place that wasn't there when you moved in. They are in their legal right to make you buy a new door when you move out, and charge for labor too. When my ex moved out of her place, one of her lightbulbs was burned out. They charged her $5 for it. Not a lot of money mind you, but for a freaking lightbulb?

Ryan
Sounds like your ex got taken. Anything considered 'normal wear and tear' in a rental can't be charged to the occupant when they move out. This includes disposable items like light bulbs and minor paint & carped defects. The apartment complex your ex was in charged her $5 for the light bulb assuming that she'd pay it because she didn't have the means or ambition to fight it in a court of law. However, it's been my experience with landlords that if you show knowledge of the current laws (do some research on the Internet!) and question any fees that are tacked on when you move out that the fees will be dropped, especially if there is an implied intent to take it to court.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
rgwalt, not to offend you, but how much is a new door, one that the odds are, will never become an issue, compared to $20-30 every month? The last thing Mike needs is another monthly bill. Plus, they already have his money in the form of a damage deposit. And like I said, they don't like to screw good tenants. If it becomes an issue, he could probably negotiate something.

I don't want to assume anything, but they might have had something against your GF (habitually paid rent late, noise or security complaints against her, throwing parties, PIA, whatever), or else the light bulb issue is simply a pet peeve of the manager, as it could become after years and years of replacing a half dozen burned out bulbs whenever a tenant leaves.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I see my idea hasn't even been considered. Are you sure you really need the vents, or do you really just feel like tweaking on something for a while?

I have a feeling you're putting in the vents because you're in a mood to modify something, not because you've actually checked to see that you need them. If that's the case, keep in mind that you'll spend extra time and money for no real benefit.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: notfred
I see my idea hasn't even been considered. Are you sure you really need the vents, or do you really just feel like tweaking on something for a while?

I have a feeling you're putting in the vents because you're in a mood to modify something, not because you've actaully cheacked to see that you need them. If that's the case, keep in mind that you'll spend extra time and money for no real benefit.

You're probably right on all counts.