If I paid you $100 per answer would you...

Would you?

• No, this holds no interest for me

• I'd try it out but I think I'd probably lose interest quickly and stop

• Yes, I'd probably take a little training, casually pick off a few easy questions occasionally

• Yes, I'd do a little/medium amount of training and answer easy questions to supplement my income

• Yes, I'd take a lot of the training, answer a few hard questions a day as a second job

• Yes, I'd take a lot of the training, answer a lot of questions and make this my main job

Results are only viewable after voting.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
I've been giving some thought recently to a crowd-sourced method of customer support for corporate enterprise software and I'm curious what Anandtech's response would be, since this is a population that would represent my target "crowd" to provide the support.

If you could:

• submit to a basic identity check (to make sure you're not a competitor)
  • take some free online trainings (anywhere from 1 hour to 3 weeks that might include phone meetings with an instructor based on how in-depth you wanted to go)
  • go to a site that had client questions posted (anything from super basic "how do I..." to very complex "I got an application error that is going to require serious research to figure out"
  • select any questions you want to research and answer, where each question has a price tag (basic how-do-I might be $20, basic troubleshooting might be $100, advanced troubleshooting might be $300)
  • post an answer that would be validated by an employee of my company and provided to the client
Would you do it?

Assume that as you get to know the software you'd be able to pick off easy questions in a matter of minutes, and that the price for harder questions would be reasonable-to-high compensation for your time.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
could be interesting. Give me a way to make a little money on my week off. Would we have access to a remote or something to try out solutions and duplicate problems on said software?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
It's an interesting idea, but I'm paid well enough that I'd rather spend my free time playing a game, reading a book, watching a movie, posting here . . . .

(Windows application developer, also do a bit of PHP + MySQL)

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
could be interesting. Give me a way to make a little money on my week off. Would we have access to a remote or something to try out solutions and duplicate problems on said software?
Yeah, would have cloned instances with data anonymization so you'd have free reign to troubleshoot as much as needed.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
I would do it, however how do you stop folks from competing to answer?

Some poor chap would spend 8 hours looking for answers to have someone post it a minute before.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
I would do it, however how do you stop folks from competing to answer?

Some poor chap would spend 8 hours looking for answers to have someone post it a minute before.

each person would have to take ownership of an issue. so... you would have to pick a question, and then that would not be up for grabs anymore. At least that's how i see it. if you end up needing help, maybe a way to post the work you have done on it and the original question?

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
each person would have to take ownership of an issue. so... you would have to pick a question, and then that would not be up for grabs anymore. At least that's how i see it. if you end up needing help, maybe a way to post the work you have done on it and the original question?

Yeah, I think we'd have to differentiate based on difficulty - on easy questions there'd probably be a benefit to incent competition, on hard questions it would make more sense to have a "claim for a period of time" / "renew ownership every x period of time as long as you're actively working it" model. There's a fair amount of work that would have to go into a tiering / pricing system in general.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Couldn't this be done with cheaper labor from places like India? Your dollar amounts seem way too high to be practical.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Didn't Mahalo and Google Answers try a web based "pay for an answer to your question" site like this,and fail miserably? It seems that people are willing the find the answers if you pay them, but most people aren't willing to pay for the answers.

I guess that It depends on what the software product was... If it was a cool product Or something similar to what I already knew, I might be interested.

Last edited:

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think for people who are well-versed in the application, it would be easy money. If I had more time I would do it as I think I have enough experience with that type of software to be able to pick it up pretty easily.

Unless it's SAP, in which case forget it. I can't stand using it for the things I must use it for.

Andrew111

Aug 6, 2001
Couldn't this be done with cheaper labor from places like India? Your dollar amounts seem way too high to be practical.

Yep...that dollar figure is way too high. OP you do realize thousands upon thousands of people provide pretty decent answers on Yahoo Answers (for various subjects...including IT) for free right? Obviously you would expect higher quality answers if you paid people to do it but it certainly is not worth $20 even for very basic how-tos...and certainly not $100 for for troubleshooting. To make it sustainable you can only offer a few dollars at most per answer (if that)...and you won't attract enough quality people to participate.