If I don't find a F@H dialup expert soon, Its bye bye F@H

leconc

Apr 12, 2004
The short story is that I did Lifemapper on dialup with great success. I only left LM'er because of massive problems at the project. I got dsl and started F@H. I've had great success here. I didn't need the dsl speed and went back to 56k. F@H is not dialup friendly. There are hardly any references to it, and although the dsl link between my computers worked perfectly, I have spent about 15 hours trying to get both computers to play well on dialup F@H and no luck. Rather than list all the problems that dsl/cable users try to help, I need a dialup user with 2 or more computers, if there is anyone else besides me. I'm about ready to go to a dialup friendly DC project. Ant takers?

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
leconc, please wait for ProviaFan. He will be here soon. He promised to help if you couldn't find a fix.

I too am having problem with dialup network. Have been using thumb drive to move WUs between my two computers for two weeks :confused: (not a good solution)

I had ICS working great, until the kids tried to get a game to multi play and installed more network components (IPX I think) - aaarrgh !#?%

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
? ????, ??? ???? ?????? ????????? ???????????? ???? ?????? ??????? ? dialup, ?? ? ?? ????, ??? ???????? ??? ?????????.

Shortass

May 13, 2004
Originally posted by: OverVolt
? ????, ??? ???? ?????? ????????? ???????????? ???? ?????? ??????? ? dialup, ?? ? ?? ????, ??? ???????? ??? ?????????.

Schwat?

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Ok, what now? I had dialup about a month ago. I don't have it at home any more, so I can't quote you word-for-word the tabs and labels in the dialup networking config boxes. While I had dialup, I had F@H with ICS working about as good as could be expected (it was fine for me, required a few minutes of checking up each day, but that would be alleviated by new dialup-friendly features of the v5 client). I tried to help you in the other thread, which apparently wasn't acceptable. At "work" (computer used for A/V duties at church), I have F@H installed as a service, running the Timeless Tinkers, so I can shut down the service, connect to a dialup connection once a week (it's a 766MHz Celeron, so those 8 queued WUs could last up to two weeks), and send and receive more WUs. Of course, I don't use ICS there, so I guess I'm disqualified to make any attempt at answering your questions. Since I'm not good enough for you, I'll just shut up and let you find someone else who meets your qualifications.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: OverVolt
Sprechen sie Englisch?

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Originally posted by: ProviaFan
Originally posted by: leconc
If you need help with the software part of this, shoot me a PM or be patient until I have time to give you a more detailed response tomorrow.

Oops sorry, this was the last I saw in the other thread.

Edit: When I had ICS working and I was running TSC, I had to send results from the dial-up computer before the other computer could find the TSC server :confused: So F@H is fairly dial-up friendly. It's Windows and the LAN that is the problem, I think.

leconc

Apr 12, 2004
The problem now is that there is still a wu in pc1 that I can't get sent, "attempting to send results", and it keeps my dialup line busy and won't hang up, even though it will get a new wu. pc2 will get and send units but I have to turn off my antivirus for it to work. I do have v5.02 and don't find it dialup friendly. Dialup is a old technology and probably not worth much effort on F@H's part. I do however have 2 xp2800 computers that have smoked me way up the list since I joined F@H. ProviaFan, you make it sound like we broke up. I appreciated your help and said so. I have spent a lot of frustrating time on this already and just wanted to find another dialup user to talk apples-to-apples about the problems. It wasn't a slam on you like you took it. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. If dialup on F@H, like someone said, takes a couple minutes tweaking every day, then dailup F@H isn't for me. F@H dsl was easy and I never had to touch it for the most part, I expected the same with dialup and was wrong. So, even if I can't fix the problem on F@H I'll do a dc program somewhere and I do appreciate everyone's help and input.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
leconc, thanks for all your effort :) It can't be said that you haven't tried!

It may be that the WU that won't send (it's server is down?) needs to fail three (I think) times before it will send to the Collection Server. You could try adding the -send all flag to a shortcut. Right click the executable and click Create Shortcut. Now right click the new shortcut and click Properties, in the Target textbox, at the right end of the text that is in there, add a space, a dash, and then "send all" without the quotes. It will look something like this:
"C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\winfah.exe" -send all

If your antivirus is Norton, there is a known problem with it and F@H :confused:

It was fun watching your fast climb up the ranks in F@H! :) I would hate to see you go.

Thanks for being so understanding of ProviaFan. That was not typical of him. :(

You could try timeless WUs and minimize networking options. This will cache ten WUs, crunch 7 or 8 and then send them in and get more WUs. Doing it this way F@H will only connect one or two times per week!

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
First, I'm sorry for misinterpreting your post and getting all PO about it. :(

Setting the Advanced Options for WUs without deadlines, and minimize network connections, should keep your dialup connection much less busy (not to mention that the WUs are smaller). Don't forget to turn on the auto-disconnect feature in your dialup connection properties. Since I'm a pretty fast reader, I got by well with 10 minutes at first, but if you have any family members who are slow readers (like my dad) you may need to set this to 15 minutes, if the connection keeps dropping just before they're ready for the next page. ;)

On the stuck WU: open up the properties for your shortcut in the Startup folder (if you're using the built-in service install, LMK and I'll post those instructions again), and add -verbosity 9 to the end (just like Gleem showed you with -send all). Now, wait for the client to try to send the WU, and then open FAHLog.txt in the F@H folder, and you can find the IP of the server that it's trying to send to. Then go to this page where you can see if the server reported in the stats list is actually down. If it is, you can either wait for it or delete the WU. If it isn't then there's some other problem that we need to troubleshoot (post the relevant part of FAHLog.txt in that case).

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Dialup may be old technology, but it's not as dead as some of the broadband types like to say. However, for years there were major issues with the v2 through v4 clients that the Pande group refused to fix, despite the constant bitching by many (including myself). Finally in v5 most of these were addressed - naturally, after I had gotten DSL at home where the more intelligent sending of WUs would have been useful (at "work" I do everything manually, no autodial is used there).

Anyway, what Antivirus are you using? I used an old Norton 2003, and now use Bitdefender 8 with success. I'll try to find more info on what the problems are that occur with the newer Norton, or whatever antivirus it is. Hopefully there will be a fix other than "get another antivirus."

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Originally posted by: ProviaFan
you can either wait for it or delete the WU.

This has me stumped. leconc is using version 5, which will send to the Collection Server if the server you got the WU from is down. (you won't get credit until the server is back up, but at least it gets sent in) After 2 or 3 tries it then uses the CS.

leconc

Apr 12, 2004
Alright, lets deal with the issues 1 at a time. Still getting "attempting to send results" from pc1. I have the graphical client and am totally lost with what you all mean by entering these commands. Should I delete the graphical and get the other one? I will. I hade zonealarm with dsl, but turned off the firewall, no difference. I totally removed ZA and still wont send. This is what the log says:

Couldn't send http request to server(wininet)
+couldn't connect to work server(results)
(ip dddress:8080)
error: couldn't transmit unit 01 to work server

I'm thinking maybe I should drop the whole program from my computer and download the non-graphical one or just reload the graphical?

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Alright, lets deal with the issues 1 at a time. Still getting "attempting to send results" from pc1. I have the graphical client and am totally lost with what you all mean by entering these commands. Should I delete the graphical and get the other one? I will. I hade zonealarm with dsl, but turned off the firewall, no difference. I totally removed ZA and still wont send. This is what the log says:

Couldn't send http request to server(wininet)
+couldn't connect to work server(results)
(ip dddress:8080)
error: couldn't transmit unit 01 to work server

I'm thinking maybe I should drop the whole program from my computer and download the non-graphical one or just reload the graphical?
First, has it been able to successfully send and receive other work units? If so, then you may only need to delete this one. I will be loading the FAH GUI in a virtual machine in just a bit so I can speak first hand about how to delete the WU, rather than going by hearsay and secondhand knowledge of deleting WUs with the CLI. I'll post back later tonight with teh results. :)

leconc

Apr 12, 2004
It will send/recieve wu's from pc1, and only receive wu's from pc2. I now get "error 504" from pc2 when it tries to send. I re-downloaded the graphical client, but no improvement. I downloaded my old dc project lifemapper to see if it would work on pc2, and it sends/receives just fine so I got the 2 computers linked together ok. I was hopeful for a easy solution for all of us on this situation, doesn't look like its going to happen, sorry.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
It will send/recieve wu's from pc1, and only receive wu's from pc2. I now get "error 504" from pc2 when it tries to send. I re-downloaded the graphical client, but no improvement. I downloaded my old dc project lifemapper to see if it would work on pc2, and it sends/receives just fine so I got the 2 computers linked together ok. I was hopeful for a easy solution for all of us on this situation, doesn't look like its going to happen, sorry.
It sounds like you just have a stuck WU on PC 1. Can you copy / paste the error log from PC 2?

leconc

Apr 12, 2004
Well, I've reached my limit on this F@H dialup. Tried dumping everything related to F@H and reloaded and still couldn't send units from pc2, computer kept dialing all the time after a wu was done, because it could never get sent and then not connecting. I have decided to to go back to Lifemapper for now as that program loaded right up and and has given me zero problems this time around. I'm sad to leave F@H because I liked the project and the management of the project seem professional as compared to a 7-11 attitude at LM'er. Was considering a dual-processor for it next year, but not via dialup after what I've experienced. F@H is just not made for dialup. Period. Maybe rightly so, anyhow, thanks to all who helped and went out of there way and my apologies to those who feel their investment in my situation disappointed them. Should I ever get dsl back in the future, F@H would be my choice of projects. See you all on the boards

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
F@H is just not made for dialup. Period. Maybe rightly so, anyhow, thanks to all who helped and went out of there way and my apologies to those who feel their investment in my situation disappointed them. Should I ever get dsl back in the future, F@H would be my choice of projects. See you all on the boards
I'm sorry you couldn't get things worked out and had to leave. I know the same has happened to me with other projects (SoB, for example). :(

However, lest someone else on dialup get an impression otherwise, F@H can work on dialup; I had it working well for years in an ICS setup without these issues. I'm not denying that some people encounter unresolvable problems, but that doesn't mean that it won't work for everyone on dialup PERIOD. Sorry, I don't mean to hurt any feelings again, but I find it hard to leave statements that simply aren't true alone. :(

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
I agree with ProviaFan. Folding@Home works on dial-up.

I have had problems with Windows ICS and firewall software, but I can't blame F@H software for that.

leconc

Apr 12, 2004
I didn't mean to imply that nobody could ever use F@H via dialup, I'm sure some can. I couldn't and it didn't seem dialup friendly to me, more designed for dsl. Good for dsl users, I use to be one and that setup went very well. Dialup did not go well. I went back to LM'er and it loaded perfectly and runs on both computers perfectly , thats dialup friendly. So I did get the 2 computers set up correctly and ICS is working just fine. Just not with F@H. Who knows what the problem was, but it works fine with LM and I'll stay there for a while. Thanks again everyone.