If I buy a Windows 7 upgrade, will I have to reinstall Vista if I ever format?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
The Windows 7 family pack is calling my name. I only have 2 PC's running Vista right now but $149.99 is better than the $99 that the Egg is charging for standalone discs.

My question is: If I ever need to format, will I need to install Vista first to put 7 back on my computers?

Thanks!

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
All of my Windows 7 packages say "upgrade version" on them, but I've been able to install it fresh without Vista.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
OK...bought it.

Next question:

So you are saying I can do this as a clean install? I don't have to upgrade?

My son's computer has literally 1.1 TB of...well...I haven't looked and am not going to look. I want to wipe and start fresh. Shouldn't be an issue, right?

Also, I only have 2 PC's. What do I do with the third copy?

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
So you are saying I can do this as a clean install? I don't have to upgrade?
Yes, clean install. The "double-install" method for a clean install is identical to how it was done with Vista. Just read the instructions I posted above THOROUGHLY. Again, as long as you have a dedicated XP or Vista license for the PC, it's "ethical" to do a clean install, even on a blank hard drive.

Not much you can do with an unneeded Family Pack license. You only get a single Key, so you wouldn't want to hand your Key over to a stranger, who could cause you no end of pain with your Key.

Last edited:

FoxFifth

Feb 16, 2010
Yes you can do a clean install using the upgrade disk. I did it with no problems and without doing a double install. I just booted from the upgrade disk and if I remember correctly the wording for one of the options was a "Custom install" and it allowed me to format the disk and do the installation. I think it looked for the Vista installation before it did the format and clean install -- but I'm only saying that because it never asked anything about the existing Vista license.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
I think it looked for the Vista installation before it did the format and clean install -- but I'm only saying that because it never asked anything about the existing Vista license.
I've read that that's what it does. It scans for certain Vista or XP folder/file structures before reformatting the disk or partition. But the Installer doesn't ask for anything. It either finds the proof of a prior install or it doesn't.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I've read that that's what it does. It scans for certain Vista or XP folder/file structures before reformatting the disk or partition. But the Installer doesn't ask for anything. It either finds the proof of a prior install or it doesn't.

Thanks guys. That makes a lot of sense.

I'm a little OCD about always starting fresh with anything I do. I was literally cringing at the thought of having to work off a previous install.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Ethical isn't the word you guys are looking for. It's legal. As long as you have proper licensing you can do whatever you want.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Ethical isn't the word you guys are looking for. It's legal. As long as you have proper licensing you can do whatever you want.

I wasn't aware we were debating ethics or legal issues. I'm pretty sure we all agree that as long as I'm buying the software legitimately and using it for its intended purposes, that's all that matters.

I bought this straight from MS. I'm only using the licenses for my own personal use. I'm just trying to make sure I don't have any issues

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Thanks again guys. I got my family pack today. I did a fresh install on my main PC with no issues.

I forgot how awful Vista is. You kind of get used to it until you go to a real OS