Question If crypto crashes, will you buy a used RTX card for cheap? Will you skip next gen GPUs?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
If crypto crashes, I'd be tempted to get a cheap RTX 3080Ti from a miner and skip the RTX 4000 series/AMD equivalent completely. You already know Nvidia will just hike the prices again anyway, so might as well get a used card for way less. Pretty much every 3080Ti will end up in a mining farm as they've likely all been claimed by miners already in shady backdoor deals, so might as well let them pay the premium and snag it from them when crypto crashes hard. Your thoughts?

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
I'm waiting for the cheap used cards for sure, before this latest mining boom I was seeing ultra cheap RX 570s and was very tempted but mistakenly decided to hold a little longer.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
CDPR marketed it as a PS4 / XBox One game. I don't see what's entitled about people being pissed and wanting refunds after they bought a game that couldn't run at 900p/20 with N64 level graphics.

yes, that is part of disconnect - unrealistic expectations and entitlement attitude. sorry, on the 2013 mid level hardware , what do you expect in terms of speed from 2021 triple A game? 4k/120? 4k/60? curious of your opinion,

plus people cherry picking - let me find the most complex, most complicated set up situations with hundreds of people around . oh , no! unoptimized engine drops down to 15 frames , cry me a river... this is not not ignoring any of the bugs (and they had PLENTY) in any game of that space on release.

coming back to original comment , any developer/publisher would look at this cross and think - cross generational game? *serious pause* . you either provide "junk" to PS5/XBX owners (what is my ray tracing , what is my 4k/120 with latest tech cries) or provide 'N64' to Xbox one S owners . very hard to please both given how massively different the processing and GPU power between them is.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
yes, that is part of disconnect - unrealistic expectations and entitlement attitude. sorry, on the 2013 mid level hardware , what do you expect in terms of speed from 2021 triple A game? 4k/120? 4k/60? curious of your opinion,

Kind of weird to call it entitled when someone expects a studio to make a properly working game for the platforms it sells it on. Did you call it entitled when people wanted refunds on Steam for the garbage Arkham Knight port too?

simas

Oct 16, 2005
Kind of weird to call it entitled when someone expects a studio to make a properly working game for the platforms it sells it on. Did you call it entitled when people wanted refunds on Steam for the garbage Arkham Knight port too?

We just have to agree to disagree here. 'Properly', 'property working' - all of these are in the eye of the beholder IMHO. What is 'properly working' to one person is total unrealistic BS to another - read any review site for ANY product and you see it all of the time.

Generally, you buy a product for a specific price. If you dont like it, the consumer protection laws (which are very liberal) allow you a refund.

I buy stuff. I also return stuff that I thought was either poor value, bad marketing, bad function, or all of the above. I try not to buy again in places I get burned (pre-orders specifically). However, I am also realistic in my expectations and understand that voting with dollar (or whatever currency you use) works rather then whine and complain and act as entitled child that boards like Reddit are full of. No, PS5 (or whatever) does not solve anyone self esteem problems or cure cancel or whatever. it is a console, buy it, use it, dont like ->dont buy it or just return it. Same applies to any other product.

I played my Cyberpunk in February/March timeframe and had a lot of fun with it. Better writing and story than almost every game I have seen in the last 5 years. I will probably play it again on the next PC build once they patch out more bugs, release DLC(s) , or both.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
We just have to agree to disagree here. 'Properly', 'property working' - all of these are in the eye of the beholder IMHO. What is 'properly working' to one person is total unrealistic BS to another - read any review site for ANY product and you see it all of the time.

Generally, you buy a product for a specific price. If you dont like it, the consumer protection laws (which are very liberal) allow you a refund.

I buy stuff. I also return stuff that I thought was either poor value, bad marketing, bad function, or all of the above. I try not to buy again in places I get burned (pre-orders specifically). However, I am also realistic in my expectations and understand that voting with dollar (or whatever currency you use) works rather then whine and complain and act as entitled child that boards like Reddit are full of. No, PS5 (or whatever) does not solve anyone self esteem problems or cure cancel or whatever. it is a console, buy it, use it, dont like ->dont buy it or just return it. Same applies to any other product.

I played my Cyberpunk in February/March timeframe and had a lot of fun with it. Better writing and story than almost every game I have seen in the last 5 years. I will probably play it again on the next PC build once they patch out more bugs, release DLC(s) , or both.

Complaining about a game sucking isn't whining. And you couldn't return that broken game until people all over the internet complained about what trash it was on console. Generally you open the shrink wrap the game is yours, no return possible. Or digitally you download it it's yours, no return possible. I don't know anyone who would think 15-20 fps with LODS showing for 10+ seconds before textures load in so the game looked like it belonged on the N64 would be properly working. The fact you liked it on PC should have no bearing on how people who bought it on console felt swindled. And you never answered whether you thought PC gamers were entitled little b**ches too when they demanded refunds for Arkham Knight and got it pulled from sale for months. That PC port was way less broken than the console ports of Cyberpunk.

Last edited:
Reactions: scineram and Derion

simas

Oct 16, 2005
Complaining about a game sucking isn't whining. And you couldn't return that broken game until people all over the internet complained about what trash it was on console. Generally you open the shrink wrap the game is your's, no return possible. Or digitally you download it it's your's, no return possible. I don't know anyone who would think 15-20 fps with LODS showing for 10+ seconds before textures load in so the game looked like it belonged on the N64 would be properly working. The fact you liked it on PC should have no bearing on how people who bought it on console felt swindled. And you never answered whether you thought PC gamers were entitled little b**ches too when they demanded refunds for Arkham Knight and got it pulled from sale for months. That PC port was way less broken than the console ports of Cyberpunk.

sorry, I think you are taking this extremely personally and I am not sure why - i.e. you are the one that brought Arkam whatever into conversation and trying to play hide and switch here (for the record I never played it and no clue if it is good or bad). And we were specifically talking about people expecting 8th gen console performance out of their 7th gen hardware and why publishers/developers are VERY wary at this point to be marketing cross gen titles as regardless of what you do,
you will always either
a) piss over entitled a-holes who will either complain that they super new gen hardware is not new gen experience enough (their fantasy world met reality and now they are hurt)
b) or the other camp of 'i bought it yesterday so it must be good' as that is somehow going to change the laws of physics and change older hardware into newer one depending on when you bought it (newsflash xbox one S is still xbox one s, even if you buy it in Wallmart today, buying it in 2021 does not make it "2021 hardware" or entitles it to run 2021 games perfectly).

Have anything to say here to add to that conversation? I would welcome your thoughts and taking higher road vs personal attacks you seem to be engaging in.
Good luck

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
sorry, I think you are taking this extremely personally and I am not sure why - i.e. you are the one that brought Arkam whatever into conversation and trying to play hide and switch here (for the record I never played it and no clue if it is good or bad). And we were specifically talking about people expecting 8th gen console performance out of their 7th gen hardware and why publishers/developers are VERY wary at this point to be marketing cross gen titles as regardless of what you do,
you will always either
a) piss over entitled a-holes who will either complain that they super new gen hardware is not new gen experience enough (their fantasy world met reality and now they are hurt)
b) or the other camp of 'i bought it yesterday so it must be good' as that is somehow going to change the laws of physics and change older hardware into newer one depending on when you bought it (newsflash xbox one S is still xbox one s, even if you buy it in Wallmart today, buying it in 2021 does not make it "2021 hardware" or entitles it to run 2021 games perfectly).

Have anything to say here to add to that conversation? I would welcome your thoughts and taking higher road vs personal attacks you seem to be engaging in.
Good luck

Dummy, you talked about returning things you were unsatisfied with even though that was impossible for the broken console release until all those supposedly entitled people all over the web complained about the game. Funny that you think CDPR was the victim here.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
While availability isn't ideal, it isn't that hard to get a card at MSRP with some patience. The 3090 so far being the easiest for me to get since your average gamer isn't going for that card. Since the current gen of card releases I've picked up 2x 3070's, 3080, 4x 3090, and a 6800. The 6800 was from AMD direct while the rest were from bestbuy during their drops. Nothing was done with a bot and I just manually bought them. I kept a 3090 for myself, the wife has the 3080, friends got the 3070's and 6800 (originally had wife using the 6800). The extra 3090s I sold off because you can't convince me that an almost $2000 MSRP card is something your average gamer is buying. I have no problem selling those for whatever price that a miner is willing to pay for one. Any card I get in the future that is what I call a "gaming" card which is the 3080 MSRP price range or lower I will put into a build for someone I know. Any 3090's I get I am trading for other high end stuff or flipping to miners.

If stuff goes back to cheap again I have a feeling I am going to be building a lot of systems again for friends, family, and co-workers.

Reactions: Tlh97 and CP5670

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Imagine all those mining power goes to something like this. We probably have cure for cancer by now.

To my disappointment, one of the posters above indicated such a rig would not actually work very well for that purpose do to the way it is built with limited IO to each GPU.

He mentioned BOINC alternatives, but I do not know much if anything about those. Ever since folding@home cracked* the covid-19 structure I have been more excited about it.

*https://foldingathome.org/diseases/infectious-diseases/covid-19/

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
To my disappointment, one of the posters above indicated such a rig would not actually work very well for that purpose do to the way it is built with limited IO to each GPU.

He mentioned BOINC alternatives, but I do not know much if anything about those. Ever since folding@home cracked* the covid-19 structure I have been more excited about it.

It's good for basic research but don't get your hopes up for actual immediate real-life applications. The mRNA vaccines need nothing of this. In fact the pfizer one was made bascially 2 days after the virus was sequenced, in January 2020. all "2D". No fancy calculations needed.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
While availability isn't ideal, it isn't that hard to get a card at MSRP with some patience. The 3090 so far being the easiest for me to get since your average gamer isn't going for that card. Since the current gen of card releases I've picked up 2x 3070's, 3080, 4x 3090, and a 6800. The 6800 was from AMD direct while the rest were from bestbuy during their drops. Nothing was done with a bot and I just manually bought them. I kept a 3090 for myself, the wife has the 3080, friends got the 3070's and 6800 (originally had wife using the 6800). The extra 3090s I sold off because you can't convince me that an almost $2000 MSRP card is something your average gamer is buying. I have no problem selling those for whatever price that a miner is willing to pay for one. Any card I get in the future that is what I call a "gaming" card which is the 3080 MSRP price range or lower I will put into a build for someone I know. Any 3090's I get I am trading for other high end stuff or flipping to miners.

If stuff goes back to cheap again I have a feeling I am going to be building a lot of systems again for friends, family, and co-workers.
You must have been very lucky. I've been online, signed in, payment on my account on the best buy website every time before there was a drop. Opened up 5-6 tabs of cards I would want.

My experience has always been one of the following routes:

1. Placed in the queue immediately after I see "add to cart". After waiting what seems like a while I get the add to cart button again. Click, click, it does nothing. Start over. This has been happening the last 3-4 drops from what I remember.

2. ONE time I got it in cart, they want to send me verification codes via email or text..great I am thinking it's mine now... tried email one drop and Text another drop. Both times the codes arrived too late (15 minutes too late)

3. I'm told there are no stores to pick the card up within any 250 mile radius OR I get to select 2-3 stores near me but upon trying to checkout it says "it's no longer available at this store, select another."

I've even tried with the 3090 and same experience.

But if crypto does crash let me know so I can sell my eth beforehand. Maybe this will be the only way to get pc parts back to normal prices until the next mining or halving event.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
You must have been very lucky. I've been online, signed in, payment on my account on the best buy website every time before there was a drop. Opened up 5-6 tabs of cards I would want.

My experience has always been one of the following routes:

1. Placed in the queue immediately after I see "add to cart". After waiting what seems like a while I get the add to cart button again. Click, click, it does nothing. Start over. This has been happening the last 3-4 drops from what I remember.

2. ONE time I got it in cart, they want to send me verification codes via email or text..great I am thinking it's mine now... tried email one drop and Text another drop. Both times the codes arrived too late (15 minutes too late)

3. I'm told there are no stores to pick the card up within any 250 mile radius OR I get to select 2-3 stores near me but upon trying to checkout it says "it's no longer available at this store, select another."

I've even tried with the 3090 and same experience.

But if crypto does crash let me know so I can sell my eth beforehand. Maybe this will be the only way to get pc parts back to normal prices until the next mining or halving event.

Bestbuy drops are regionally allocated stock, except once when it shipped instead of being for instore pickup. Bestbuy uses a queue system for their ordering website for allocations that is slightly randomized. I am not sure how soon you have to click on the Add to Cart button once it goes live, but it needs to be quick. The queue system is not tied regionally unlike the actual stock. But it seems the queue works in 30 second increments (fastest I've seen it spit me out to add again).

Basically when you click Add to Cart button, in your 30 second "block" anyone else clicking that button will join you in queue. After 30 seconds, it randomizes the people in that queue and then pushes Add to Cart button to be activated again from Please Wait. It keeps doing this until everything is sold out everywhere. Once you get the button to Add to Cart a second time, you are still competing against others who have been given the chance to buy in the queue before or even after you in the same region to actually buy the available stock in your region. Once it is all gone it's gone. Most times, it has already been bought up and you literally can't click "add to cart" the second time despite the button being up since the stock for your region is gone. It's a literal race and you have to be there the moment the sale drops go live. It also matters how much is allocated per region and what others are going for. The 3090 isn't as in demand so it is far easier to get.

Bestbuy does a "drop" anywhere from 11am EST until 3pm EST on Tuesday through Saturday anywhere from 2-4 weeks after a previous drop. I haven't seen a drop outside those time frames or week days. Nor has one been recorded either.

Only one drop in all this time was not regionally restricted by Bestbuy. That drop they did direct shipments to customers. I was able to buy a 3070, 3080, and 3090 during that drop. It was the easiest drop I was able to buy anything during.