If Christians lost the Crusades and Muslim was the dominant religion, would Christians be fanantics today?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BBond

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
Originally posted by: MegaWorks

I fail to see that Arabs where like Africans?

What I meant was that they would be similar to the Africans in that they would continue to have a primative third world kind of society.

I'm not sure what you wanted to communicate with your link to the essay about the Abassids, which I had never heard of before. I might read it later.

Yup. You should definitely read alot more.

:roll:

Arab and African cultures were light years ahead of European culture for centuries. WTFU.

Most Americans crack me up with their misconceptions of the "third world". The third world is where the USA goes to rape resources and rob nations based on an economic system that is akin to indentured servitude.

Ask yourself this, what resources does the USA share with the world? What resources do we have that the world can't do without? Other than military superiority we have very little to offer other than some ridiculous lip-service about spreading democracy -- after we invade on false pretences and at the point of a gun.

We don't even have a decent manufacturing base left. If not for military superiority we'd be the third world nation, genius.

As I said before, you're ignorance and arrogance are breathtaking.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: BBond
Yup. You should definitely read alot more.

:roll:

Arab and African cultures were light years ahead of European culture for centuries. WTFU.

Most Americans crack me up with their misconceptions of the "third world". The third world is where the USA goes to rape resources and rob nations based on an economic system that is akin to indentured servitude.

Ask yourself this, what resources does the USA share with the world? What resources do we have that the world can't do without? Other than military superiority we have very little to offer other than some ridiculous lip-service about spreading democracy -- after we invade on false pretences and at the point of a gun.

We don't even have a decent manufacturing base left. If not for military superiority we'd be the third world nation, genius.

If you hate america so much BBOND why do you stay?

American Contributions to the Advancement of Humanity:

http://wyolife.com/KerryFest/American%20Contributions.htm

What do we provide the world? First and foremost we provide the world an example of a stable democracy with a seperation of powers and accountability for everyone. We provide a safehaven and opportunity for advancement of the worlds people at over a 100K a year in immigration. We provide a VERY significant portion of the scientific and technical research in the world. We also house a significant portion of the worlds best universities as a result. Our corporate and business culture provides significant job opportunities and development worldwide. Our consumer culture is also probably the only hope for true world peace. The US economy is a significant portion of the world, if it ceased to exist tommorow the world economy would collapse, there would be massive starvation in many places and very serious wars would ensure within months. We provide protection through force of arms to better than half the 1st world through our nuclear deterance and pressence in both europe and asia. Throughout the last century we prevented the advancement of tyranny. And although not that important we provide a significant amount of the worlds arts.

Your disregard the achievements of america and the work we do worldwide as if it's all filth. You insult the people of america and all the hard working americans who make this world a better place for everyone by the contributions they provide. Your statements are derogatory, you blame the worlds problems on America and you disregard that we alone are blamed for the worlds problems when history tells us that almost every hotspot that currently exists is the result of european colonialism.

You act as if having a person sewing a shirts and shoes or working in hazordous and unhealthy occupations is the basis of an economy. That the manufacturing jobs that america has surrendered are somehow essential to the health of america and that because we no longer force our people to work in sweatshops and dangerous jobs that we have nothing to offer the world. But those jobs we have surrendered to the developing world are what we offer because without us to purchase those products most of those people would be starving to death. Not only that but most of the jobs we lose are jobs that americans don't even want to do. Even the recent call center and support jobs lost to india had the highest turn over rates of any occupation. Why should we be worried about the loss of jobs most americans don't even want to do? Or are you going to argue that you would have preferred to work in a sweatshop sewing shoes so that at your current age you would be incapable of even typing because of the longterm damage to your hands?

I ask again, why do you stay if you think America is so worthless?

MrPALCO

Banned
Nov 14, 1999
?Are you suggesting that God will torture non-believers because they don't believe in him?? ? WhipperSnapper

God is Love. Love will not harm anyone. I have told you that you are on a road. Up ahead there is a left turn that leads to the pit or a right turn that leads to the Promised Land. This life is your opportunity to choose your eternal destiny.

?But how can the I come to what can only be had when the I is not.? ? Moonbeam

Forget all that psychobabble and come to God like a little child comes to his Daddy.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: BBond

Arab and African cultures were light years ahead of European culture for
centuries. WTFU.

That may be so, but why is it that modern society ended up developing amongst Western Europeans? Why is it that the people in those African and Arab nations and cultures adhere to primative mysticism in spite of the availability of secular philosophies implicitly based on reason? Perhaps they were more advanced during the Dark Ages, but the Renaissance changed all of that.

My point is that without the oil, the Arab world would be in the same state as Africa. You disagree? You really think that without the oil the Arabs would have formed their own secular democracies and adopted mixed economies with partial free markets? LOL. Keep dreaming.

I see. So you're saying that Western nations are forcibly keeping them down? You might be right--but not in the fashion you suggest--rather, to the extent that we don't install secular governments, rule of objective law, the concept of individual rights and free market economics, and teach reason (and population management) to the people, we aren't helping them.

Actually, we have a tremendous amount to offer the world from an ideological standpoint. Historically, what other nation set an example of the benefits that freedom and the concept of individual rights provide? <Blank out.> America did not become wealthy by accident. It had everything to with the nature of its government and relatively capitalist-leaning mixed economy.

I agree with you. However, we didn't lose our manufacturing base because Americans are incompetent, but rather because Americans have lost any sense of rational economic self-interest and failed to maintain tarrifs and trade protections to protect against labor wage arbitrage with the billions of impoverished people in the third world, retard.

As I said before, you're ignorance and arrogance are breathtaking.

As is yours.

So, in your view, all cultures are equal? A slave society is the moral equivalent of a free society, in your view? A nation based on religious dictatorship and mysticism is the moral equal of a nation based on freedom, individual rights, and reason, in your view?

Are you in favor of merging our labor market with the billions of impoverished people in the third world?

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: MrPALCO
?Are you suggesting that God will torture non-believers because they don't believe in him?? ? WhipperSnapper

God is Love. Love will not harm anyone. I have told you that you are on a road. Up ahead there is a left turn that leads to the pit or a right turn that leads to the Promised Land. This life is your opportunity to choose your eternal destiny.

Forget all that psychobabble and come to God like a little child comes to his Daddy.

So, you're saying that according to your version, God won't punish non-believers by sending them to Hell? God will even let atheists who actively advocate atheism (free speech--why should that be a punishable "crime"?) into heaven?

MrPALCO

Banned
Nov 14, 1999
"...God won't punish non-believers by sending them to Hell?" -- WhipperSnapper

Going to Heaven or Hell is your choice. It is also your choice to go to Virginia Beach or San Francisco.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Coming to God like a little child is itself psychobabble. He or she who can be a little child has already entered the kingdom of heaven. It is all that is required. How then does the self become what it is not.

And I don't see your bias against psychotherapy. Did not Jesus say, "Blessed are they who mourn for they shall be comforted."?

That is what psychotherapy really is about.

I think that without some understanding of the depth of the pain there is no understanding the depth of the problem.

MrPALCO

Banned
Nov 14, 1999
"Did not Jesus say, "Blessed are they who mourn for they shall be comforted."?" Moonbeam

Mourn for doing the right thing and you will be comforted. Example, a good wife whose husband is killed in the line of duty. She knows to move on.

Mourn because you are addicted to the rush brought on by grief? You will find no comfort until you move on.

Oct 30, 2004
"...God won't punish non-believers by sending them to Hell?" -- WhipperSnapper

Going to Heaven or Hell is your choice. It is also your choice to go to Virginia Beach or San Francisco.

Well, the question is whether or not your choice should condemn you to Hell and torture.

If a person started rounding up people who held a certain philosophical belief...well...let's say someone started rounding up Jews or Wiccans...people who leave others alone and don't initiate force against...people you wouldn't normally regard as evil...and that guy started torturing and murdering them...would he be worthy of your moral condemnation?

So, if God does the same thing--if God punishes people--not because they committed crimes against other people, but merely because they committed the "crime" of independent thought--wouldn't that make such a god an attrocious monster?

I mean, the "choice" you're offering is: "Do as we say and go to Heaven, or, if you choose to follow your own intellect and reasoning--if you choose to use your mind--go to Hell." What kind of a choice is that? Be a slave or get punished?

When you start looking at it using an objective standard of value, all of the sudden some of the religionists start to look like German citizens worshipping Adolph Hitler. That holds especially true for the Rapture followers who salivate over the idea of people who disagree with their religion getting murdered and tortured. I'm tempted to say that such people are vile and evil.

MrPALCO

Banned
Nov 14, 1999
Love has created Heaven. Love has created Hell for the Devil, not for you.

You are the one who MUST make an active or passive choice.

Well then?

slurmsmackenzie

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2004
Love has created Heaven. Love has created Hell for the Devil, not for you.

You are the one who MUST make an active or passive choice.

Well then?

don't be a doofus. hell doesn't exist. for their to be a hell, God and the devil must have some arrangement, codependent, even.

lifetime worth of sin = burn forever? not logical, not coinciding with the rest of the bible

romans 3:23 "for the wages sin pays is death....." DEATH, not burning sensations. that's fair.

put hell in the same fairytale book with christmas, easter, and catholicism. (not the bible... i had to say it before the athiests did)

cquark

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2004
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
That may be so, but why is it that modern society ended up developing amongst Western Europeans?

1. Geography. Eurasia has far more domesticable plants and animals, navigable rivers and inland seas for water transport, and an east-west axis, which allows domesticated plants/animals and ideas to be shared. While one Eurasian civilization could fall for a time (China to the Huns, the Western Romans to the Germans, etc.), others would survive and would eventually transmit their ideas to the fallen civilization, bringing them back up to speed. Africa, the Americas, and Australia have none of those advantages, so civilizations there weren't in the running for creating modern civilization.

That leaves us with several contender civilizations: Western Greco-Roman Civilization, China, India, and Islam.

2. Separation of Church and State. The fall of the Western Roman Empire resulted in a separation of church and state that has never occurred in Islam. The Catholic Church had power due to its communicaiton networks and preserved knowledge, but it had no significant military and the legal system was a hybrid of pre-Christian Roman law and Germanic common law. Islam united the Arabs under the Caliphs, who were leaders of both church and state, and promulgated its own Sharia law. These were initial advantages, quickly producing an empire that extended from Spain to India, but were long term disadvantages.

3. Political disunity. In the 14th century, I would've bet on China to discover Europe and the Americas and not on Europe. The ships of Zheng Ho were far more advanced than those of Columbus (whose ships look about the size of one of the Chinese dinghies.) However, after Zheng Ho explored Asia and rounded the Cape of Good Hope, the Emperor died and his successor forbade further voyages. China lost the technology to build such ships and their age of voyaging ended.

Columbus, on the other hand, was able to make his momentous voyage despite the refusal of several royal sponsors because Europe was divided into multiple competing principalities. If one country rejected progress, it didn't prevent the civilization as a whole from progressing.

Perhaps they were more advanced during the Dark Ages, but the Renaissance changed all of that.

Ironically, the Renaissance was the result of Islamic incursions into Europe. The Turkish conquest of the Byzantine Empire caused hundreds of Greek scholars to flee to Italy, carrying the long lost (to the West) knowledge of classical civilization with them.

I see. So you're saying that Western nations are forcibly keeping them down? You might be right--but not in the fashion you suggest--rather, to the extent that we don't install secular governments, rule of objective law, the concept of individual rights and free market economics, and teach reason (and population management) to the people, we aren't helping them.

The first world keeps the rest of the world in place through a complex set of institutions, primarily including the World Bank, IMF, and America's network of military bases and carrier battle groups to ensure that the first world's political-economic constraints can be enforced with force in those rare instances where it is necessary to do so.

Actually, we have a tremendous amount to offer the world from an ideological standpoint. Historically, what other nation set an example of the benefits that freedom and the concept of individual rights provide?

Iceland and Switzerland were republics long before the US. The UK had a parliamentary government long before too. It's also worth noting that almost no country not under US military control at the time it wrote its consitution has followed the US model of government. They've instead followed the British parliamentary system in most cases.

America did not become wealthy by accident. It had everything to with the nature of its government and relatively capitalist-leaning mixed economy.

True, government is important and while the US government wasn't the first or the best of democratic government systems, it has been an effective one.

I agree with you. However, we didn't lose our manufacturing base because Americans are incompetent, but rather because Americans have lost any sense of rational economic self-interest and failed to maintain tarrifs and trade protections to protect against labor wage arbitrage with the billions of impoverished people in the third world, retard.

The Americans who designed the "free trade" agreements had their rational economic self-interest in mind, but the majority of Americans didn't understand the full nature of such agreements, which made trade free in certain senses which benefitted one class of Americans while restricting trade in areas where free trade wouldn't benefit their class.

cquark

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2004
Originally posted by: digitalsm
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: Genx87
who knows, I mean really who knows.

Christians and Muslims back then were very fanatical. However for whatever reason western cultures progressed in terms of freedoms, tolerence,seperations of church and state, and political representation while the ME got stuck in a time warp of sorts.

no the christians were the fanatics back then, at least quite a few of them. Muslims weren't anywhere near as crazy.

To paralel to modern times, crusading has thought to guarantee ones going to heaven, and any sins you commited were forgiven.

Christians were fanatics, the moors(muslims) were barbarians. The crusades came about, by the slaughtering of christians(jews too), in the holy land, and the eventual take over of the judeo-christian holy lands by the moors.

Actually, the Christians were the barbarians at the time, not the Muslims, who had a highly developed civilization with science, medicine, and law far in advance of the Christian Crusaders, who slaughtered at least as many Christians and Jews as they did Muslims. The Byzantine Emperor learned the error of appealing to his barbarian Christian brethren too late, when they were already burning, pillaging, raping, and murdering his people on their way to Syria. Most of the later Crusades went by sea in part because the Byzantine people refused to let the Christian barbarians do that kind of damage again.