If Blizzard release "classic" WoW realms...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Would you play the pre-expansion, 60-level version of WoW again?

• You're livin' in the past man! You're hung up on some clown from the 60's man! (I don't care)

• Yes

• No

• Maybe (maybe not the original game, but maybe Burning Crusade era?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Flying mounts IMO are a travesty and should never have been done. They take the mystery out of the world, and make the air taxi routes less of a treat.
Flying mounts are one of the single best things ever added to the game. What's the point of having "mystery" in the world if you can't do anything to figure it out? Being able to explore anywhere and everywhere is as adventurous as you can get. Air taxi routes were never a treat.

And as I mentioned earlier, the pally shaman thing.
I also kind of liked it when Horde and Alliance each had their own unique class. I can understand the change for balance reasons, but still.

Also, taking skill points out and just giving set abilities to choose from every few levels is one of the worst changes I've ever seen.
It's not even every few levels, but every 15. However, it's not any worse than following the same build that everyone used because min maxing says to spend your talents in this manner or that manner.

And having this automatic dungeon finder is atrocious. Bring back the /LFG channel!
Yes, because hoping to find a group manually and then taking 10 minutes for everyone to actually get to the dungeon is so much better. There's nothing stopping you from joining an LFG channel and trying to make a movement on your server to get others to join. It'll probably fail because it's far inferior to the dungeon finder, but you can do it.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
If Blizzard brought back vanilla realms people would quickly realize that it is much better in memory than in reality.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
If they required a separate vanilla server subscription, not sure they'd get enough to keep it up and running.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I wouldn't mind doing a full run of Blackrock Depths for the hell of it. That dungeon was so fun and is what made the game great, it was an actual adventure as opposed to the linear theme-park-ride dungeons they have now.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Air taxi routes were never a treat.

Actually, I thought they were pretty neat and enjoyed them a lot of the time.

But ya, flying is a great addition.

One time from some bug, I was able to graphically fly without a mount.

Pretty fun.

Last edited:

Wordplay

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2010
I never seen Naxx in Vanilla WoW. That would be my goal... and to pwn some noobs with Tier 3 in BGs. :p

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
Flying mounts are one of the single best things ever added to the game. What's the point of having "mystery" in the world if you can't do anything to figure it out? Being able to explore anywhere and everywhere is as adventurous as you can get. Air taxi routes were never a treat.

Flying mounts were another nail in the coffin of world pvp. When you rez, just fly upward. Nobody can harm you anymore.

Flying simply makes the world not matter. When I think back to TBC and WotLK, I remember how much more immersive my surroundings were while leveling. Then you could fly, and it was like "screw it."

I remember the majesty of flying on my level 69 druid for the first time at 60% speed. I saw blade's edge for the first time, and it was pretty cool...an effect you got from first time taxi use as well. But after the majesty wore off, you were left with poor game mechanics.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
I voted yes, but just letting you know this would never happen. Period. They've changed way too much since vanilla for this to even be close to feasible without a large hefty rebuild of the game (which would cost some $$$$$).

Private Vanilla WoW 1.x servers exist today. So I call bullshit.