If anyone here goes to OSU, I need some help.

mskalak

Mar 26, 2002
Ok, I'm going to be a freshman at OSU this year, and I built my computer to bring to college with me. I am not having good luck at all with this, and it's really starting to piss me off because I have NO idea what to do. I've been trying to fix this for weeks to no avail. I would be willing to pay someone who goes to OSU to come help me fix my computer while I'm down there. I am not a complete newbie when it comes to computers, but I am no expert. Obviously, this problem is over my head. If you are serious about helping me, read this thread from technical support, and also read the "long story." I am going to be trying to fix the problem myself until I go down to OSU on Tursday. So if you are serious about this PLEASE email at skalak.4@osu.edu.

Thank you all.

Mike

ChefJoe

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2002
Umm, have you considered making a backup and doing a re-install? If you've had this many un-prompted shutdowns it could be a module in IE or something has gone corrupt (due to previous memory problems perhaps). If you can get ahold of a HD that you could re-install everything to, it'd be a good way to see if things are corrupt in your install and only take an hour to do. If you need to do so, stop by the OSU bookstore and get a buckeye bundle (it's a great value and has XP, 2000, 98SE all in it if memory serves).

neomits

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
how bout my services for you vid card :p

naw I don't know if I'd really be able to help you

I'd try what ChefJoe recommended. You haven't had it all that long it sounds like so I'd just start over and see if it fixes it.

And btw the buckeye bundle is an EXCELLENT deal. Get all the XP stuff for just 99 bucks. And you can have any other operating system you wish too

Go Bucks :p

mskalak

Mar 26, 2002
I've done a reinstall 3 or 4 times. Nothing seems to have helped the problem. And it is not quite as often as it was before I RMA'd my other stick of RAM. I was watching a movie, capturing video, browsing with IE, talking with AIM, and had other programs running with no problems. After I was done, I would open something up, and BAM blue screen of death. Just one program, and the whole system would shut down. But like I said, it has only happened to me 4 or 5 times a day with the new RAM, while with the old RAM the system wouldnt even boot.