If an audio cable is balanced but has an adapter at the end/s would that affect it still being balanced output?

Coyle

May 15, 2020
Just looking for durable--long--audio cable, and it's seeming that ones for music performance are fitting that and their balanced, so was wondering if using an adapter would affect them (and is it even going to matter if they are balanced or not if just for home audio headphones to pc?)

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
How long are you talking? If it's longer than 50 feet, then yes go balanced. Weren't you looking for under $50 headphones? Please tell me it's not for those.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
How long are you talking? If it's longer than 50 feet, then yes go balanced. Weren't you looking for under $50 headphones? Please tell me it's not for those.

Yeap. Just for his son to watch movies from the bed...

Coyle

May 15, 2020
20-30ft max, and yes it's for those headphones; they actually have very good sound, decent drivers; main thing it cames down to was that they fit his head and had some better components than others that were kid sized. Not just for watching movies in bed now. Am moving, mom wants to put the pc/monitor in living room to better keep an eye on what he's doing and there's a recliner chair in there so he'll be free from the computer chair. Just want to get a cable with good internal wiring and a durable outer casing that won't have breakage issues. So, does it not matter if I went with a balanced or unbalanced cable, like won't damage or affect sound either way? I was looking at these: Pro Co BP-30 Excellines Balanced Patch Cable - 1/4-inch TRS Male to 1/4-inch TRS Male - 30 foot | Sweetwater but don't show internal wiring or any details, just saw it on the site. Don't need balanced; if anyone knows of a good cable to use I'd appreciate it. I haven't had good luck with the lower end cables.
(EDIT: actually, thinking about it I could use a 1/8 male to female cable as the cable that came with the headphones is good, I see one like that also in Pro Co brand: Pro Co BPMBMBF-25 Excellines 3.5mm TRS Female to 3.5mm TRS Male Cable - 25 foot | Sweetwater think it's any more durable than the lower priced unbalanced cables I'm seeing on Amazon etc?

Last edited:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
20-30ft max, and yes it's for those headphones; they actually have very good sound, decent drivers; main thing it cames down to was that they fit his head and had some better components than others that were kid sized. Not just for watching movies in bed now. Am moving, mom wants to put the pc/monitor in living room to better keep an eye on what he's doing and there's a recliner chair in there so he'll be free from the computer chair. Just want to get a cable with good internal wiring and a durable outer casing that won't have breakage issues. So, does it not matter if I went with a balanced or unbalanced cable, like won't damage or affect sound either way? I was looking at these: Pro Co BP-30 Excellines Balanced Patch Cable - 1/4-inch TRS Male to 1/4-inch TRS Male - 30 foot | Sweetwater but don't show internal wiring or any details, just saw it on the site. Don't need balanced; if anyone knows of a good cable to use I'd appreciate it. I haven't had good luck with the lower end cables.
(EDIT: actually, thinking about it I could use a 1/8 male to female cable as the cable that came with the headphones is good, I see one like that also in Pro Co brand: Pro Co BPMBMBF-25 Excellines 3.5mm TRS Female to 3.5mm TRS Male Cable - 25 foot | Sweetwater think it's any more durable than the lower priced unbalanced cables I'm seeing on Amazon etc?

Both cables are guaranteed for life, so I don’t think you can go wrong with either. Going balance or unbalanced should not affect the sound, but the cable length might.

Coyle

May 15, 2020
Both cables are guaranteed for life, so I don’t think you can go wrong with either. Going balance or unbalanced should not affect the sound, but the cable length might.
Yeah, I've tried emailing for details of warranty and cable used etc, will give them a call. In the meantime I've found these cables: Custom Cables Headphone Cable Made from Mogami W2549 & Neutrik Connectors | Performance Audio I think that setup would be unbalanced. Seem beefy at 22awg; don't know how easy a return/warranty would be; some places have to pay return shipping, and even occasionally the shipping back, or if refund the original shipping. Of course could go with these mass produced ones, lifetime warranty, no problem getting refund if need be: 25ft Velocity™ 3.5mm M/F Stereo Audio Extension Cable | C2G (cablestogo.com) I just don't want a hassle if whatever I get fails again.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Yeah, I've tried emailing for details of warranty and cable used etc, will give them a call. In the meantime I've found these cables: Custom Cables Headphone Cable Made from Mogami W2549 & Neutrik Connectors | Performance Audio I think that setup would be unbalanced. Seem beefy at 22awg; don't know how easy a return/warranty would be; some places have to pay return shipping, and even occasionally the shipping back, or if refund the original shipping. Of course could go with these mass produced ones, lifetime warranty, no problem getting refund if need be: 25ft Velocity™ 3.5mm M/F Stereo Audio Extension Cable | C2G (cablestogo.com) I just don't want a hassle if whatever I get fails again.
I have Mogami in my little cave. Can't go wrong with them either, but then again I'm not a kid. :)