If an ATOT member said they were going to commit suicide

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: buck
Originally posted by: dNor
Originally posted by: Cabages
I think a mod would actually do something...

unlike bb

Ban them?

;) I kid I kid, this is a pretty good community, the mods would do something the moment they smelled something fishy.

Explain why they haven't cleaned mosh yet

o snap!

LMAO :laugh:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

unlike bb

Ban them?

;) I kid I kid, this is a pretty good community, the mods would do something the moment they smelled something fishy.

Take another week for that comment. When you return, start treating other members with respect
bsobel

pwned

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: potato28
I think we already had someone try this and the Mods called the local authorities to make sure that the person didn't.

Right, I remember that.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Well, if you're thinking about the BB situation, I would have called the cops several hours before anybody did. I don't know if that would have saved him, but I'd much rather err on the side of caution and have him get some help versus letting the situation spiral out of control.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: dainthomas

unlike bb

Ban them?

Take another week for that comment. When you return, start treating other members with respect
bsobel

pwned

I don't get it

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

unlike bb

Ban them?

bsobel

We're all in a world of hurt if respect is necessary to post now :(

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: bsobel
Originally posted by: CrazyLazy
In light of the recent events I was wondering how ATOT would respond if a forum member came here claiming to be planning to kill himself. Lets say the member had a rather trollish past and a history of dishonesty. I think we would react no differently than how bodybuilding.com did, and frankly that kind of bothers me. Feel free to disagree though.

As noted, this happened fairly recently. The mods tracked down the proper authorities to help the poster...

It also happened in the past and forum members called the authorities.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: manlymatt83
Originally posted by: dainthomas

unlike bb

Ban them?

bsobel

pwned

I don't get it

I shall attempt to explain. dNor met the vacationstick.

as to op's question, I think there is enough mature people here to do something, just like the last time around.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Undoubtedly some would urge the poster to do it, probably assuming it was a joke or just being uncaring jerks.

Most would advise "seek help immediately", "talk to friends and family", warn the mods, etc...

I'm confident the Mods would do everything they could as quickly as possibly to derive the person identity, whereabouts, and notify the authorities. It's happened before (not suicide specifically).

Overall, I think the AT community would be mostly civil, supportive and active...unless we got barraged by assholes from 4chan or something.

edit: Aside from the aforementioned suicide threat, they also tracked down and called the mother of a kid who stole some school equipment. The ownage was delicious.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
You need my f'ing permission first before you dare. Just you remember that.

rhino56

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2004
i really dont even see how you can compare the 2 sites like that. most of the people here are quite intelligent and mature.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: CrazyLazy
In light of the recent events...

Originally posted by: Gooberlx2
Undoubtedly some would urge the poster to do it, probably assuming it was a joke or just being uncaring jerks.

edit: Aside from the aforementioned suicide threat, they also tracked down and called the mother of a kid who stole some school equipment. The ownage was delicious.

In light of recent events, the moderators just might decide to wave their ban stick at the "uncaring jerks."

And, more recently, someone made a threat on the forums to kill someone. Moderators tracked him down & informed the police of his threats; unfortunately we didn't get to him quickly enough. Fortunately, his victim was treated and released from the hospital and the perpetrator was caught and charged with attempted murder. I don't think many people took the guy seriously. But, as has been the case in many of the school shootings (for example), the perpetrators told several people of their plans. The people who they told didn't believe they'd carry through. It takes a minute to make a phone call & say, "hey, you might want to check on..."; it takes a lifetime to forget the consequences of ignoring such threats.

AreaCode7O7

Mar 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Pepsei
I think we already had someone try this and the Mods called the local authorities to make sure that the person didn't.

i think his name is ilikesprite...... he changed his nick... i won't reveal that nick, i'm sure someone else can track that down.

Last time it happened gopunk and a few others worked with the mods to trace the IP and call the local police. They showed up, got Sean some help, and AFAIK he's still doing well. Probably in college now.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: AreaCode707
Originally posted by: Pepsei

i think his name is ilikesprite...... he changed his nick... i won't reveal that nick, i'm sure someone else can track that down.

Last time it happened gopunk and a few others worked with the mods to trace the IP and call the local police. They showed up, got Sean some help, and AFAIK he's still doing well. Probably in college now.

he still posts here. ;) good old chap, very helpful.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: NuclearNed
Didn't something like this happen on ATOT a while back?

Yes, and it was a bit of a mess. He left and recently came back, and appears to have gotten his life in order. :thumbsup:

Anandtech > bodybuilding forum + 4chan + whoever the "I told you I was hardcore" guy was talking to

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: rhino56
i really dont even see how you can compare the 2 sites like that. most of the people here are quite intelligent and mature.

I haven't had that good a laugh in a very long time :D

AreaCode7O7

Mar 6, 2005
Originally posted by: thecoolnessrune
Originally posted by: rhino56

I haven't had that good a laugh in a very long time :D

Well, in comparison to 4chan we're more mature... or at least more heavily moderated.