If a state wanted to require its residents to drive on the left side of the road...

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
should the federal government be allowed to force them to drive on the right side of the road? Or consider the scenario where when driving on federal roads, you have to drive on the right side of the road and when driving on state roads you have to drive on the left side of the road.

In other words, should the federal government be allowed to set standards that states must meet to ensure continuity, efficiency, and safety for drivers?

Last edited:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Why not the Center of the road? Why does everything need to be Right or Left??!!!! :colbert:

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
If you are OK with this, then you're also OK with CARB being allowed to basically dictate emmission standards for the US. Pick one.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
In other words, should the federal government be allowed to set standards that states must meet to ensure continuity, efficiency, and safety for drivers?

If States feel they have been wronged so egregiously as to outweigh continuity, efficiency, and safety, then you're damn straight I support the right of self determination.

Of course sane people will recognize the usefulness of more national standards and VOLUNTARILY agree to an organization to set those rules. The difference being you have the freedom to dispute it and choose your own path.

I understand if modern society has trained you to think independence is some foreign novelty. You've never known it your whole life. You may not be able to appreciate the difference, the taste of something your forefathers DIED for.

ussfletcher

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
The Constitution would seem to imply that this is a matter for the state to decide, and I would support that. However, this would never happen.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
should the federal government be allowed to force them to drive on the right side of the road? Or consider the scenario where when driving on federal roads, you have to drive on the right side of the road and when driving on state roads you have to drive on the left side of the road.

Does the constitution grant this right to the federal government? If not, then it goes to the states to decide, and they could set up their driving rules any way they see fit. Not that any state would ever do something like that, but based on the constitution (or at least, my understanding of it) they could.

Feb 4, 2009
While I'm not sure, I'd bet a state could but 1st) whomever required it would be thrown out of office on the first traffic death 2) states need federal highway funds to maintain their roads I'm sure they would lose that. This is why the legal drinking age is 21 in every state.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
There are not really federal roads. The Feds send money to the states so each state maintain it's roadway system which includes interstates. If a state decided to swap sides, the federal government would simply withhold those funds and that state would quickly swap back. This happened with the drinking age. You want to stay at 18... no highway funds for you... even though the residents of said states pay the federal gas tax.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
It would be too dangerous to drive american cars on the left side of the road. You wouldnt be able to see oncoming traffic as well. There would be a lot more accidents. There is no practical means of changing driver position to inversely match the side of the road they are on. So no state would actually pass a law like this.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
There are not really federal roads. The Feds send money to the states so each state maintain it's roadway system which includes interstates. If a state decided to swap sides, the federal government would simply withhold those funds and that state would quickly swap back. This happened with the drinking age. You want to stay at 18... no highway funds for you... even though the residents of said states pay the federal gas tax.

This. And this is exactly how speed limits were forced to be instated in states like Montana and Nevada that went along time without daytime speed limits on some of their highways.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006

Are you on something you're not telling us about?

Like DRUGS?

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Doesnt this fall under the inter-state trade clause thingy?

The Feds fund highways so I would assume yes.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
We cant even get the fed to let states have the rights they are supposed to have. How could a state get away with something that certainly isnt allowed?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Regardless of the Constitution, does anyone think allowing such variation makes a lick of sense?