If a grasshopper is in danger...

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
I caught this big ol' grasshopper today, and I was looking at it, and it promptly puked on my thumb. Is this normal for grasshoppers? Because it was sort of gross. Looked like a really thick oil.

Pics later (no oil puke, though), once I get them resized/uploaded.

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
I'm LOL right about now.

But I am looking forward to the grasshopper pics. They're so cool. :thumbsup:

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
they always spit tar at you. its like a skunk spraying you but not quite as effective :p

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
LOL.. grasshopper vomit, that's a good one.

Yeah, they spit up some substance that is supposed to taste vile to predators.

Have you been living under a rock? :p

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Yes; when a former AT member who used to be another former AT member that ripped people he met in HD off becomes in danger it will puke on you.

Either that or get banned and/or ping -t'd by Mods and Members who are furious that the guy they've been chatting w/for months is the same guy that ripped them and their friends off!

OH......

Was that my...OUTSIDE VOICE?

/note to self....use the INSIDE VOICE....

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Yep, I always chased and trapped grasshoppers when I was little. I gave most of them to my cat, she loved chowing on those things. I remember them always spewing up that black oil crap.

One time I placed a grasshopper and praying mantis in a jar, the mantis promptly latched onto the back of the grasshoppers neck and began feasting on its oily goodness (yes the black stuff actually started to come out of the neck-hole). What was odd, the mantis only seemed to want to eat the back of its neck, after that he just let it lay there dead. Dead with a big hole in its upper back. It was cool.

Oh and I later killed the mantis.