If a cop car, ambulance, fire truck, and postal truck meet, who goes first?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
5,768
0
71
If it is a tight intersection the firetruck will have to go last since they can't make the turn if the other cars are at the edge of the intersection. But if it is just going straight then maybe who ever has the green light.
 

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
7,117
10
76
Originally posted by: gotsmack
If it is a tight intersection the firetruck will have to go last since they can't make the turn if the other cars are at the edge of the intersection. But if it is just going straight then maybe who ever has the green light.
What city do you live in that has lights at 4 way stops?:confused:
 

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
13,479
2
81
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
I PMd the po po, let's see what he has to say.
If you follow the tenants of the 3-tiered response it would be:

1. Police
2. Fire
3. Ambulance
 

InverseOfNeo

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2000
3,719
0
0
Originally posted by: MX2times
Postal Truck. Federal employee

I believe this is the truth. I remember hearing it years ago that since the mail man is a Federal employee, he/she is technically above them in "rank" and has the right of way. But I think that is if theres no sirens or anything and the four entities came to a stop at the same time.
 

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
15,062
90
91
Originally posted by: bradruth
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
I PMd the po po, let's see what he has to say.
If you follow the tenants of the 3-tiered response it would be:

1. Police
2. Fire
3. Ambulance
weird...backward to what i thought
 

deejayshakur

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2000
2,585
0
0
so the ambulance is on the way to save a life, pd is on the way to prevent a life from being taken, a firetruck i guess you could argue it both ways, and the mailman will spend the rest of his life ringless.
 

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
12,458
2
0
Originally posted by: deejayshakur
so the ambulance is on the way to save a life, pd is on the way to prevent a life from being taken, a firetruck i guess you could argue it both ways, and the mailman will spend the rest of his life ringless.
why get married? he gets to screw the po po's wife, the paramedics wife, and the firemens wife while they're at work!
 

BSEagle1

Senior member
Oct 28, 2002
619
0
0
In order of importance: Ambulance, then Fire Truck, then mailman, then police.

The ambulance is either with the firetruck or off to his own emergency, the fire truck is either responding to a paramedic call or a fire/rescue but not as directly related to life saving as the ambulance, the mail man is delivering packages and making an honest living, and the cop is probably off to do something crooked so he can just hurry up and wait :p
 

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
36,152
17
81
Fire Truck, Ambulance, Cop, Mail. Why do I know this? 'Cause I've seen it happen.
 

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
19,439
85
91
The least maneuverable has the right of way. Well at least its that way in the aviation world.
 

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
5,322
0
0
Originally posted by: InverseOfNeo
Originally posted by: MX2times
Postal Truck. Federal employee

I believe this is the truth. I remember hearing it years ago that since the mail man is a Federal employee, he/she is technically above them in "rank" and has the right of way. But I think that is if theres no sirens or anything and the four entities came to a stop at the same time.
I was taught the same thing in EMT class.

However, any mailman that actually tries to assert his right-of-way in a situation like this is both off his rocker and going to get a stern talking to at the end of the day.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY