IE6 Doesn't Store Cookies

p0tat03

Oct 27, 2001
Hey all, I've been having this problem for a couple days now, and it's really starting to tick me off.

So I was just doing my thing, making my rounds across some forums, when suddenly, out of nowhere, I'm logged out of every forum I go to. I checked the cookies dir, and sure enough, all my cookies were nuked. No big deal, I thought, and proceeded to log back in to these various sites. The problem became apparent then - I couldn't log in.

After a few mildly annoying minutes of hunting, I found that these sites, when logging in, could not store their cookies. The first thing I did was check IE's cookie settings. Nothing change, but I cranked them down to "accept all cookies" anyways, just for the sake of isolating the problem, still no cigar - still no cookies.

Then, after spending 6-7 hours tracking the problem, I've arrived at this:

- Most sites (about 80%) can store cookies just fine. eBay, Hotmail, Anand don't have any problems, at all. Cookies are storing just fine. For the remaining 20%, they're unable to store cookies. I've verified that there are no "do not accept" domains in my IE list. Furthermore, some sites seem to be able to store session cookies, but not permanent cookies, while others can't store anything at all.
- I can log into these same non-working sites just fine from other machines, both in my house and from friends' PCs.
- Ran a packet sniffer on IE, and verified that all the cookies were coming in just fine in the headers. It appears that IE has decided to throw THESE cookies away and not others. Its behavior is almost as if these domains are on an internal ban list.
- I whipped up a quick PHP script that stores a cookie, and ran it on localhost and 2 remote servers. Localhost worked fine, cookie stored properly, one of the remote servers worked too, but the third failed miserably - no cookie at all, session or permanent. Note that these 3 hosts were running the EXACT same code.
- All the non-working sites were running PHP, though I doubt that has significance, since some PHP-powered sites work still.
- I've run SpyBot and AdAware through the system. It caught a few things, none relevant to the problem, and after fixing these, the cookie problem was still there.
- Ran Mozilla and logged into these sites successfully. This is an IE-only problem.

Hopefully somebody can help me out here, it's driving me nuts!

BTW, please don't just say "use mozilla". I do a lot of web development, and I need to be able to run all browsers!