IE = stupid or I'm = stupid??????

Shingi

Oct 7, 2000
Hi guys,

long time, no post. been busy working.

here is my problem. I'm logging into my work site that requires you to put your username and password in. once you're in the site, theres many links to many different things like your business pending reports, your licensing reports, etcc.... dont' want to get into details.
now the problem is that when i click on one of those links, it doesn't go into the page that i click on it just goes back into the main login page. i have to relogin and go through the same thing again. but once that link window pop up and i login again and takes me to main page, then i go to the link i want again and it works. Stupid IE. so that means that everytime i am clicking on a link i have to login everytime.

tried and failed solution:
went to IE properties and privacy tab. i lowered the tab to accept all cookies. NO WORK
some of the other computers here does the same problem as mine. on the other hand some of the other computers don't have that problem. you click on link and they take you right there.

Is there something that i'm missing? IS IT ME stupid or IE?

please help, this is miserable having to login every time i click on a link.

any help appreciated guys,

shingi

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
What makes you think it isn't the website's problem?

Yes this sounds like an issue with the way the website handles authentication.

Shingi

Oct 7, 2000
well the reason i know this is isn't the websites is because some of the other comptuers here do not have that problem.

some of the other computers at other locations have the same problem and some of theirs do not have problem either.

shingi

any more suggestions?

oh yes i forgot to mention. If i login using firefox, netscape nav, other browsers. I don't have that problem.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Is the login that you're providing to the website different from the login you use for your workstation?

Shingi

Oct 7, 2000
the workstation doens't have any relation to the website. you can login anywhere. it's a open site like yahoo.com. It is not a cooperate where you have to login specifically from certain ip or workstation.

please tell me you guys have this problem too.

i had this problem with the university of minnesota login as well.
but when i used firefox or netscape, then it goes away. and i dont' like firefox or netscape.

please help

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Shingi
the workstation doens't have any relation to the website. you can login anywhere. it's a open site like yahoo.com. It is not a cooperate where you have to login specifically from certain ip or workstation.

but when i used firefox or netscape, then it goes away. and i dont' like firefox or netscape.

please help

This is an external website then?

Shingi

Oct 7, 2000
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by: Shingi

please help
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an external website then?

Yes , this is an external website, not a internal website. let me try to make things easier.

Lets say you log into your own wells fargo web site. (www.wellsfargo.com)
and you click on one of the links and and pops up a screen which suppose to take you the link that you click on but instead brings you back to www.wellfargo.com. so you have to login again in the pop up window. once again you log in it brings you back to the main screen where you click on the link again. xcept this time when you click on the link it takes you where it suppose to take you without poping up a third link.

the other computers just pop up a window when you click on the link and takes you where to where you suppose to be instead of back to the main window.

keep in mind this is only happening in explorer not firefox. i talked to websites tech guys, they said it has to do with my browser. but i don't know WTF to set to make it right.

please help.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
A couple of things:

1. Clear out all cookies and temporary internet files.
2. Reset your security level to default and your cookie privacy level to Medium.
3. Make sure Windows is completely up-to-date.
4. Scan for spyware/malware.

Shingi

Oct 7, 2000
tried those things,

it still is the same thing.

the funny thing is that the other computers are set to default as well, but they dont' have this problem?

anyone?

forgot to mention, does firewall have anything to do with this? i have windows firewall disable, and zone alarm on. but i did check the settings and set everything to lowest.

?? help please

ojai00

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
Try changing the security level of the Internet.

Tools > Internet Options > Security > Internet > Custom Level. Change the User Authentication at the bottom to "Automatic logon with current username and password." Hope this helps.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Not sure I would do that ojai00.

Instead of automatically sending the credentials of the logged on user, IE will re-prompt if you are trying to authenticate to a website that is not in the Intranet security zone. This prevents your domain credentials from being sent out to Internet web server!

Instead try this:
Find out what your web proxy is and if you are accessing it by FQDN or IP. Then add the FQDN and/or IP of the proxy to your Intranet security zone. A double auth prompt could be simply a proxy auth + a website auth. Adding the proxy to your Intranet will allow it to automatically handle the first auth.