Idle temperatures for q6600 using stock cooler

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by hardeeps, Aug 22, 2007.

1. idiotekniQues

idiotekniQues Platinum Member

your airflow looks fine.

how much thermal paste are you using? and what kind?

it is possible you have a very non-flat IHS heatsink on your chip. that is a possibility.

2. kknd1967

kknd1967 Senior member

since you only mentioned the system fans are at high, what is your CPU fan setting? maybe its thermal control is in place and is not running 100% rpm when the temp does not meet the target threshold?

3. imported_i2k

imported_i2k Member

With that case why not mount the harddrives in the bottom cavity then remove that middle section and add a 120 mm fan at the front to pull cool air in to the box, without the harddrives in the way you should get better air flow to the mobo/cpu

4. hardeeps

hardeeps Junior Member

i2k, I just did that today, and NCIX exchanged my CPU in for a new one (didn't get the G0 one :( ). I think I didn't apply the thermal paste perfectly, because one of my cores is a few deg hotter than the other 3. Also, the Arctic Cooler 7 Pro heat sink has a very rough bottom. I think I will lap the heat sink, and using the pencil mod on the arctic silver 5 tube, I will apply some new thermal paste. With these modifications, I think my temps should drop to around 35 C idle. However, its hard to be certain because today was a cool and cloudy day here.